Found the E90 320d replacing the E82 120d

1 Eyed Monkey

Active member
Howzit Fanatics

It’s been about 3 months since selling the F30, and honestly, I’m not looking back. The E90 has turned out to be such a ballsy, cheap-to-run car to own. For what it is and what it costs to run, it really is hard to fault.

First proper road trip with the non-runflats this weekend, and I can safely say I’m not going back to runflats. The difference in road noise and ride comfort is massive. Much quieter on the highway and noticeably softer over the rough stuff.

We took a trip up to Namakwaland on Friday. Left Velddrif on the West Coast at around 1pm, with GPS showing roughly 5 hours and 30min of driving time, excluding stops. Check-in at the guest house was only until 6pm, so we had to make some decent progress.

Two passengers, boot absolutely packed to the brim with everything needed to sustain 2 days on a farm, and tyres set at 2.3 bar front and 2.6 bar rear.

First stop was Piketberg on the N7 to fill up, and from there we pushed all the way through to Garies.

The car averaged around 6.2 L/100km up until Garies, with a somewhat illegal average speeds and a few foot-flat overtakes here and there.

One of the best things about these diesel BMWs is that even when the car is properly loaded with passangers and luggage, the torque just makes overtaking feel effortless.

From Springbok we traveled 10km east. Google Maps showed a 3km gravel section, so I took it very carefully, around 5-10km/h in some places. There were a few sections with fairly bad corrugations, and obviously I wasn’t going to smash a 15-year-old BMW down a farm road just to save a few minutes.

The Namakwaland itself is a real treat this time of year. The serenity and solitude are honestly impeccable. After spending most of your time around traffic, people and the general chaos of everyday life, being somewhere where it’s just open land, mountains and absolute silence is something else.

On the trip back I decided to stick strictly to the speed limit. The N7 was pretty empty and there weren’t many trucks and cars to overtake, so the average consumption dropped nicely to around 5.5L/100km.

And once again, the old girl proved herself.

15 years old. 267xxxkm. Worth 10% of the value of a brand new 320d. I think I'm going to drive this car until the wheels fall off (that's how I'm feeling now at least).

Thanks to reading

Sounds like a lekker trip!
 

DRCraig

Well-known member
Awesome write up bud.

As an F30 Owner, I would say the E90 was definitely the better 3er in terms of handling.

Any plans to switch over to a set of OEM Xenons eventually ?
Thanks for reading. I'm sticking to the halogens bro. Bulb upgrades are in the pipeline- Osram H7 night breakers. A xenon upgrade will set me back circa R20k for 2nd hand oem/new non-oem and labour.
 

DRCraig

Well-known member
I wont lie, my behind has been itching for a F30 20d, so reading this puts my mind at ease about my E90.

Granted, I haven't driven mine in 2 and a half months...
F30 is a really nice car. You'll enjoy the ZF8, but be sure to get the MSport. Bang for buck- E90 LCI.
 

DRCraig

Well-known member
I want the F30 because of the gearbox. I'm currently on 494nm and I want more.

M Sport, sunroof or nothing! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Yeah

We owned the normal F30, while it is a really nice car, the suspension felt floaty and too soft.

There is a sports automatic in some F30s. The gear lever looks bulky and it steering wheel has flappy paddles. Gearbox shifts quicker than normal auto.
 

DRCraig

Well-known member
The 320d ticked over 270 000 km last week, so I treated it to an oil service and a new diesel filter.

I also repaired and completely resprayed the front bumper, and I’m pretty chuffed with how it turned out. Nice to finally have the front end looking the way it should again.

I know a lot of people prefer the blacked-out kidney grilles, but personally, I really like the chrome kidney grilles that came on the 6-cylinder E90s. If anyone has a set they’re willing to sell, or knows where I can source a decent set, please let me know.

On to some even better news: my wife is expecting our second child. I genuinely regard it as one of the biggest blessings we could have asked for, and we’re incredibly grateful.

Interestingly, this has also made me think quite a bit about the future of the E90. I don’t want to make an impulse decision and immediately jump into an SUV simply because that seems to be the trend these days.

We’re still in the process of smashing down our bond, with the goal of having it paid off by September 27. The baby is due in February 27, which means I’ll have roughly seven months of using the E90 as a proper family car before the bond is hopefully history and we can consider upgrading to a bigger family car.

So, for those who have actually lived with one: is the E90 realistically big enough for a family of four?

Obviously, I’m expecting the boot to be the biggest challenge once a pram, baby gear, etc. enter the equation. But I’d be interested to hear from anyone who has actually used an E90 as a family car with two kids (infant and toddler specifically).

Regards
Craig
 

Greenz

///Member
The 320d ticked over 270 000 km last week, so I treated it to an oil service and a new diesel filter.

I also repaired and completely resprayed the front bumper, and I’m pretty chuffed with how it turned out. Nice to finally have the front end looking the way it should again.

I know a lot of people prefer the blacked-out kidney grilles, but personally, I really like the chrome kidney grilles that came on the 6-cylinder E90s. If anyone has a set they’re willing to sell, or knows where I can source a decent set, please let me know.

On to some even better news: my wife is expecting our second child. I genuinely regard it as one of the biggest blessings we could have asked for, and we’re incredibly grateful.

Interestingly, this has also made me think quite a bit about the future of the E90. I don’t want to make an impulse decision and immediately jump into an SUV simply because that seems to be the trend these days.

We’re still in the process of smashing down our bond, with the goal of having it paid off by September 27. The baby is due in February 27, which means I’ll have roughly seven months of using the E90 as a proper family car before the bond is hopefully history and we can consider upgrading to a bigger family car.

So, for those who have actually lived with one: is the E90 realistically big enough for a family of four?

Obviously, I’m expecting the boot to be the biggest challenge once a pram, baby gear, etc. enter the equation. But I’d be interested to hear from anyone who has actually used an E90 as a family car with two kids (infant and toddler specifically).

Regards
Craig

Hell yeah man.Congrats to you and the Mrs.
 

AshG108

///Member
The 320d ticked over 270 000 km last week, so I treated it to an oil service and a new diesel filter.

I also repaired and completely resprayed the front bumper, and I’m pretty chuffed with how it turned out. Nice to finally have the front end looking the way it should again.

I know a lot of people prefer the blacked-out kidney grilles, but personally, I really like the chrome kidney grilles that came on the 6-cylinder E90s. If anyone has a set they’re willing to sell, or knows where I can source a decent set, please let me know.

On to some even better news: my wife is expecting our second child. I genuinely regard it as one of the biggest blessings we could have asked for, and we’re incredibly grateful.

Interestingly, this has also made me think quite a bit about the future of the E90. I don’t want to make an impulse decision and immediately jump into an SUV simply because that seems to be the trend these days.

We’re still in the process of smashing down our bond, with the goal of having it paid off by September 27. The baby is due in February 27, which means I’ll have roughly seven months of using the E90 as a proper family car before the bond is hopefully history and we can consider upgrading to a bigger family car.

So, for those who have actually lived with one: is the E90 realistically big enough for a family of four?

Obviously, I’m expecting the boot to be the biggest challenge once a pram, baby gear, etc. enter the equation. But I’d be interested to hear from anyone who has actually used an E90 as a family car with two kids (infant and toddler specifically).

Regards
Craig
Congrats dude!

Great kms and also congrats on the little one on the way.
I have had my 2 little girls in E90 LCi for the better part of 3 years with no issues at all, boot space was adequate and they were comfortable in it also. I onlt traded up tp get the IX35 for my wife because she was working in JHB CBD and IMO she needed a vehicle that was not the Polo she was using.
That started the SUV ownership spree, could I have accomplished with a sedan, yes I would have...I had no issues however the roads to holiday areas and my odd camping trips and fishing required ground clearance so I stuck with the SUV.
 

DRCraig

Well-known member
Congrats dude!

Great kms and also congrats on the little one on the way.
I have had my 2 little girls in E90 LCi for the better part of 3 years with no issues at all, boot space was adequate and they were comfortable in it also. I onlt traded up tp get the IX35 for my wife because she was working in JHB CBD and IMO she needed a vehicle that was not the Polo she was using.
That started the SUV ownership spree, could I have accomplished with a sedan, yes I would have...I had no issues however the roads to holiday areas and my odd camping trips and fishing required ground clearance so I stuck with the SUV.
Thanks for the response. Were 2 car seats in use simultaneously? I have an isofix car seat my infant will be seated in and bought a booster seat for my then 4 yo.
 

unobeat

Member
Congratulations Craig on the new family member that will be coming soon.

The E90 continues to impress me and wishing many trouble free motoring experience.

Sent from my SM-A307FN using Tapatalk
 

AshG108

///Member
Thanks for the response. Were 2 car seats in use simultaneously? I have an isofix car seat my infant will be seated in and bought a booster seat for my then 4 yo.
Yes,
I had 2 car seats as my kiddos are 2 years apart. as they grew, I upgraded to one booster seat and the other isofix.
 
Top