BMW 3 Series (G50)

Nishcat_M140i

///Member
The new G50 3 Series has officially been revealed:

The M350 replaces the M340i and the good part is that it retains the B58 added with some hybrid tech and bits. I assume it will be similar to that of the X3 M50 but in sedan form. Power is around 443HP and 580NM, with 0-100 in a claimed 4.1s. ZF8 box is retained.

Apparently there won't be anymore diesels in the 3 series offered.

In terms of looks, I find it quite bold so I'm not a fan at this point, but then again it might grow on me with time. I said the same thing about the G8X cars, and the G45 X3 when it launched, only to end up liking these cars more than I anticipated. Its 56 mm longer, 23 mm wider and 13 mm taller than the outgoing G20.

In terms of pricing, not much is known but I expect it to start around R1.2 Million or so when it launches. One thing I don't like is the new steering wheel design. Reminds me of the old school Mercs steering from the 90s with buttons of course.

Thoughts ?

WhatsApp Image 2026-09-30 at 08.16.31.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2026-09-30 at 08.16.33.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2026-09-30 at 08.16.35.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2026-09-30 at 08.16.331.jpeg


WhatsApp Image 2026-09-30 at 08.16.342.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2026-09-30 at 08.16.343.jpeg


WhatsApp Image 2026-09-30 at 08.16.344.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2026-09-30 at 08.16.351.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2026-09-30 at 08.16.352.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2026-09-30 at 08.16.353.jpeg
 

TBP88

Well-known member
Much nicer than the current gen, from a looks POV.
But my god. we had 328 being the top of the range back in e36 era, then 330, then 335, then 340, now 350/360 IX whatwhat.
Can't wait for a few more gens to go by - what are bmw gonna do when the 399 releases??? 3100? 301 and start again?
 

FiRi@Rennzport

Well-known member
Official Advertiser
Im loving it.


Apart from black wheels and the steering wheel with vertical spokes, I feel its bold and good platform to begin aesthetics on.



Sent from my SM-S948B using Tapatalk
 

FILV

Well-known member
I like that side agile fighter jet looking side profile
Not a fan of the steering wheel

Im shocked at dropping Diesel's from the 3-Series. 320D is the default choice here in ZA.

PPF installers are going to make a killing with these new Neo-klasse one piece glass headlights and grills.
 

TurboLlew

Honorary ///Member
BMW will never risk messing up a 3 series and I don't believe they have done so here.. I like the side ALOT more on the ICE than EV. The rear is OK. I feel like they could have made it look a bit more distinctive by doing the chipmunk kidneys from the IX on this. They went completely inoffensive on the front. I think (like the IX3) you have to see this in person to make a call on what it actually looks like. There is texture and depth to it that doesn't capture well in pics.

As for model designations/badging, this is yet another generation where the likes of our township/hood modders were clearly 20 years ahead of the game :ROFLMAO:.

I think BMW had already lost all respect for the M badge and it's customers in the last gen. This is the cherry on the cake.

images


The interior is not horrible IMHO - it is the steering wheel that looks really bad rather than everything: but let's see in person. If you're going to go all-screen anyway, I MUCH prefer this where there is at least some semblance of creativity than having the trading desks complete with visible brackets that the last generation had.

If the M350 can come in at 1 499 995 it will sell out for 12 months.
 

TBP88

Well-known member
BMW will never risk messing up a 3 series and I don't believe they have done so here.. I like the side ALOT more on the ICE than EV. The rear is OK. I feel like they could have made it look a bit more distinctive by doing the chipmunk kidneys from the IX on this. They went completely inoffensive on the front. I think (like the IX3) you have to see this in person to make a call on what it actually looks like. There is texture and depth to it that doesn't capture well in pics.

As for model designations/badging, this is yet another generation where the likes of our township/hood modders were clearly 20 years ahead of the game :ROFLMAO:.

I think BMW had already lost all respect for the M badge and it's customers in the last gen. This is the cherry on the cake.

images


The interior is not horrible IMHO - it is the steering wheel that looks really bad rather than everything: but let's see in person. If you're going to go all-screen anyway, I MUCH prefer this where there is at least some semblance of creativity than having the trading desks complete with visible brackets that the last generation had.

If the M350 can come in at 1 499 995 it will sell out for 12 months.
FML, R1.5m for a "normal" 3er is getting really, really wild.
 

TurboLlew

Honorary ///Member
I like that side agile fighter jet looking side profile
Not a fan of the steering wheel

Im shocked at dropping Diesel's from the 3-Series. 320D is the default choice here in ZA.

PPF installers are going to make a killing with these new Neo-klasse one piece glass headlights and grills.

I don't believe there is a market for diesel with EVs in the same price bracket and the cost of diesel. Guys are spending more (absolute cost per km) running an X5 30d than I spend on my F90. Once subsidies died, they dried up in the EU and UK as well. I don't think the 20d was the default choice in the last gen either in the way it was for the F series cars (if it was perhaps by a very slim margin). I have barely seen 20ds around relative to the petrol cars. Part of this was also the 30i being so much better driving and with similar fuel consumption (again, absolute cost lower to run than the diesel given diesel pricing).
 

msm

Well-known member
I like the exterior design. Whilst I'm not a fan of all the screens, I feel that the interior is much better executed now, than the Gxx LCI - where the screen almost looks like an after-though, when they face lifted the cars.

It's a pity about the diesels, but I guess the writing was on the wall once the 330d was dropped as well (in the G20).

At least they retained the B58 though. Looking forward to the full blown/proper M car.
 

TurboLlew

Honorary ///Member
FML, R1.5m for a "normal" 3er is getting really, really wild.

The market will eat it up because they will slap a R19995 monthly installment number on it and everyone will upgrade. Good times coming to shop for a G20 M40i or 30i.

I have mentioned before that I have come to accept that I am no longer a customer of BMW or Mercedes/Audi. I might be a 'newer' Porsche or Ferrari customer down the line, but I can't see myself financing more than R1M let alone burning another 500K of cash to get (as you say) a 'normal' 3er. If you have to run the numbers on buying a brand new (or even slightly new) M the way I've bought them in the past, you're basically committing to setting that amount of cash on fire at the rate they depreciate and the sheer absolute numbers involved in that.

I have been forced out as a client by default. The only cars that will not materially erode the money you put into them have shields with horses or bulls on them at present.
 

MR_Y

Well-known member
I assume dads with growing families and only space for one car would gravitate to the X3 M50 as the modern day all rounder. I know I would.

The M350 seems like a beast though.

I wonder if the LCI X3 M50 would get the M350 engine.
 

Nishcat_M140i

///Member
I assume dads with growing families and only space for one car would gravitate to the X3 M50 as the modern day all rounder. I know I would.
I'm not a dad, nor do I intend on ever being one, but I do agree that these suvs like the X3 M50 are great all rounders.

I find myself leaning towards an X3/4 M40i or M Comp within the next few months.
 

TurboLlew

Honorary ///Member

Looks like the diesels are definitely dead in the 3 series. Its only 318, 320 and M350 as per this link.

Imagine spending over a bar on a 318 with 115kw :( . We are doomed.

Realistically nobody is going to buy a 318. It is there to make you buy the 320 for just that little bit more.

My trusty inflation calculator and car magazine from 2013 shows that inflation-adjusted, an F30 320i would cost the equivalent of R725K today. We are sitting at +38% over what we 'should' be paying for one if it was purely inflationary effects at play. At the same time the N20 equipped 320i had a fair bit more power than 115kw. It really has been bad on that front. Generally cars in other markets are not that different in price from the outgoing generation (few % which can be written off in the extra tech/performance they bring in). These %s are great on paper but a few % on 500K and on R1.5M are very different things in practice.

A 335i would cost the equivalent of R1.1M for reference. You could argue at the higher end it is not as bad since the gaps are still comparable - just that the lower tier models seem MUCH more unpalatable because of it.

I'm not a dad, nor do I intend on ever being one, but I do agree that these suvs like the X3 M50 are great all rounders.

I find myself leaning towards an X3/4 M40i or M Comp within the next few months.

X3 M Competitions are no brainers for the money they are going for at the moment.

We actually have a lot of slept-on cars while everyone is worried about either new cars or what was the 'last best' and looking for rubbery manuals:

Z4 2.0i with the B48 (its actually fun to drive)
Z4 M40i with the B58
X3 M40i
AMG GT/GT C/GT R
C63 C205 Coupe (many are shitboxes though)
SLS Roadster (the gullwing is double or triple this)
2018-20 Cayenne Turbo E3
Giulia QV (provided you service at a specialist)
F-Type R

When people come with "what can you buy" stories and point to a Golf you have to wonder :ROFLMAO:. I suppose the real question is "what can you rent" since to buy some of these, you won't be able to use the lease gymnastics
 

BMW786GP

///Member
Does this mean older 3 series diesels value will increase? Imagine the 6 cylinder diesels.
Quite silly from bmw discontinuing their most reliable engine in a daily car (320d)
 
Top