Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
N57 engine swap
Hi guys, so as the title suggests, on my way to Cape Town last week, my car 330d suddenly started to loose power with what sounded like a gringing noise and lots of smoke. I allowed the car to roll to a safe stop on the side of the road where it switched off. Found lots of oil on the left side of the engine under the intake and under the car.
Tried to start again after it cooled down to understand what I'm in for.... the car cranked but sounded like it struggled to do so.
I'm thinking engine may need to be rebuilt.
Still trying to get the car back to jhb from bloem but at the same time, thinking of options to rebuild if this is the case...

Anyone have experience with forged internals /  hybrid turbos on the engine, would be great if you could share your experience.

Any other suggestions and comments welcome 

Disclaimer: I was driving fast but I'd expect such an engine to handle that kinda power.
Muhammed

(29-09-2020, 08:16 AM)muhammedman Wrote: My car 330d suddenly started to loose power with what sounded like a gringing noise and lots of smoke. I allowed the car to roll to a safe stop on the side of the road where it switched off. Found lots of oil on the left side of the engine under the intake and under the car.
Tried to start again after it cooled down to understand what I'm in for.... the car cranked but sounded like it struggled to do so.
I'm thinking engine may need to be rebuilt.

Any other suggestions and comments welcome 

Disclaimer: I was driving fast but I'd expect such an engine to handle that kinda power.

By the sounds of your amended description i think you got a holey moley block... 

pic for attention!

Attached Files Image(s)

Ex: Danger Ranger (Gone but never forgotten)
Ex: E92 335i DCT
400m @ 11.516 @ 203kmh
Backed up at MSA event!
60-130mph - 8.3 seconds
Dragtimes.com

Time is the best teacher.. Unfortunately it kills all its students Bangdesk

Sounds expensive...

The slow start could be pistons locking up.

I really hope its not bad.
If it is, I suggest an engine swap instead. You can do the hybrid etc on the swapped engine...

This post gave me the shivers...
I really hope its something minor and all is well with minor costs!

Can you elaborate on the disclaimer? Driving fast is not enough to break motors, were the rpms in or close to red? Is the car heavily modded?
Samir, you breaking the car...
Rpm wasn't in the red... was doing xkph when it happened, overtaking
Car is also stock
Muhammed

that couldn't of been a fun experience
CURRENT: BMW E36 M3 Coupe PROJECT...plan.. 18" EwingEquips & TURBO
CURRENT: BMW 330i individual..Arizona Sun on 19's
CURRENT: DATSUN PB210 aka BIN aka "Z" Coupe 2L on EwingEmotions
CURRENT: AUDI A5 on 20" Concavos
CURRENT: Rothmans VFR400 NC30 PROJECT
CURRENT: Repsol VFR400 NC30 PROJECT
EX: BMW 330i, BMW 330i, Range Rover 4.6 HSE Vogue, FORD XR6 & RS Turbo, OPEL Monza 200iCD16V, Toyota GLi Exec, VTEC, ALFA Giulietta & GT Junior stepnose, a few mingers
Not at all ... but not complaining, things could have ended worse. Will update here with progress when it gets home and I start stripping it.
Muhammed

Hi there. I'm so sorry to hear about your incident. I was made to understand that the N57 is a pretty bulletproof engine. Hearing of a stock car breaking down like that is a bit scary. How long have you had the car? I hope you can get it fixed for a good price. Maybe you can just buy a second hand engine instead of rebuilding? Sorry once again.
(29-09-2020, 12:14 PM)husaindindar Wrote: Sounds expensive...

The slow start could be pistons locking up.

I really hope its not bad.
If it is, I suggest an engine swap instead. You can do the hybrid etc on the swapped engine...

This post gave me the shivers...
I really hope its something minor and all is well with minor costs!

Can you elaborate on the disclaimer? Driving fast is not enough to break motors, were the rpms in or close to red? Is the car heavily modded?

What do you mean by hybrid?
hybrid turbo
CURRENT: BMW E36 M3 Coupe PROJECT...plan.. 18" EwingEquips & TURBO
CURRENT: BMW 330i individual..Arizona Sun on 19's
CURRENT: DATSUN PB210 aka BIN aka "Z" Coupe 2L on EwingEmotions
CURRENT: AUDI A5 on 20" Concavos
CURRENT: Rothmans VFR400 NC30 PROJECT
CURRENT: Repsol VFR400 NC30 PROJECT
EX: BMW 330i, BMW 330i, Range Rover 4.6 HSE Vogue, FORD XR6 & RS Turbo, OPEL Monza 200iCD16V, Toyota GLi Exec, VTEC, ALFA Giulietta & GT Junior stepnose, a few mingers
As most have said, sorry to hear about the troubles. Good to hear that you can still see the silver lining here. Will be very valuable if you can keep us all posted on what you find when the engine gets taken apart - perhaps something we can call learn from this. Good luck!
F30 LCI 320D M Sport
[Image: avatar%20(1)_4786313497.jpg]
Sorry to hear about the engine troubles you had on your trip.. Get it checked and let us know if we can assist
'13 E82 Coupe 135 - Weekend Toy
'03 Audi A4 2.0 - Daily
Visit our Webstore - Click Here
Instagram - Click Here
Thanks to all of you... will keep this updated however I can
Muhammed

update: received the car this morning, charged the battery and tried to start but the engine wont turn. Also tried turning it from the vibration damper, wont budge - feels like its locked up.
Next steps are to pull the front bumper, craldle, radiator, intercooler etc and check for visible damage to turbo, block etc. 
Feels like i need to pull the motor out anyway but not in a rush to do so 
Fencelook
Muhammed

im no mechanic, but these engines are supposed to be bullet proof, if the correct engine oil was used with frequent changes, I doubt its anything major, well I hope it isn't, have you changed your vibration damper pulley?
Current:
2014 BMW F30 330d Msport - A/T - Alpine White
2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe E86 - Black Sapphire Metallic

Previous:
1994 VW Golf Mk3 GTi -
2005 BMW 118i Black Sapphire Metallic
2008 BMW 120i M-Sport Space Grey
2011 BMW E90 LCI 320d Msport - A/T Alpine White
2006 BMW E86 Z4 3.0Si Coupe Black Sapphire Metallic  - Manual
yep, in about 3-4 months of ownership I've done the following ...

oil service
air filter
fuel filter
vibration damper + bolts
shocks
gear oil change + sump
boost seals

most of this done at 156 - 157000km
current mileage 162000km
Muhammed

Could it be swirl flap faliure ?
530D Xcede s/w and down pipe
Honda B20Vtec Turbo - Daily Drive
Possibly, althoug the engine feels locked up...turbo still looking ok ... pic of progress so far or lack thereof lol...
Will continue tomorrow and see how far I get

[Image: 20200930-162255.jpg]
a poison tree analysis
Muhammed

Sorry to hear about the car. I'd be very interested in the cause, I plan on running my diesel for another 100k km, would be interesting to see what happened here.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
Current:

2014 F10 520d DP, Xcede Stage 2

2016 F86 X6m Stock

Ex:

2005 E60 M5
2006 E63 M6 Straight Pipe, Software
2008 e92 M3 6MT full exhaust, Stage 2
Removed the intake today...
Swirl flaps are fine.

Disconnected mot electrical connections and pipes.
Anyone know how I can access the upper bellhousing bolts ?
Would I need to remove the gearbox mounts so the gearbox can drop abit and give me place to work ?

Anyone able to share some advise on this.

[Image: 20201001-172933.jpg]
Muhammed

Check timing chain
Current: 2009 E90 330D M Sport LCI
Prev: 2007 E87 120i
Prev: 1991 E30 316i