Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
E46 330i 2001 expansion tank cracked
Good evening fellow fanatics. 
My car's expansion tanked cracked this afternoon at home luckily. I need to know is the quality of the expansion tanks at Goldwagen on par or should i get one from BMW? Any advise would be appreciated.
I bought the Febi Bilstein replacement tank(red and white box) from Goldwagen, was alot cheaper than the stealerships and readily available iirc.
Just keep the original cap, the replacement cap can seize.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Ex: 2008 135i N54
Ex: 2013 M135i N55
Current: 2003 325ci M54
Ka-boom
This happened to me too when I had my 330, except my expansion tank exploded, took it to BMW and they said that the new tanks are much better quality than the ones that were originally fitted to the E46's, but interestingly, they insisted that I replace the cap as well because the old caps were also faulty and that was sometimes the cause of the tanks exploding, due to the cap not releasing pressure the way it was designed to do and prevent an explosion.
Do not fit a GoldWagen expansion tank, pay the premium and go with OEM on this particular part.
The following 1 user Likes KPM3_30's post:
  • Bazza
(04-08-2020, 01:35 PM)KPM3_30 Wrote: Do not fit a GoldWagen expansion tank, pay the premium and go with OEM on this particular part.
Sometimes the premium is too premium. Linking the ridiculous price to the part and the function it serve and its quality makes it a no-brainer for me.
It seems like stealerships can slap any profit mark up on the most demanded products and parts to make up for their ballooning overheads caused by a failed business model. I'd stick it to BMWSA if I could.
For plastic parts like these I'd go to GW every day of the week.

Ka-boom
(04-08-2020, 03:26 PM)Jive_m135i Wrote:
(04-08-2020, 01:35 PM)KPM3_30 Wrote: Do not fit a GoldWagen expansion tank, pay the premium and go with OEM on this particular part.
Sometimes the premium is too premium. Linking the ridiculous price to the part and the function it serve and its quality makes it a no-brainer for me.
It seems like stealerships can slap any profit mark up on the most demanded products and parts to make up for their ballooning overheads caused by a failed business model. I'd stick it to BMWSA if I could.

To each their own.. I am an avid fan of doing research before buying a product, I would always consider a reputable aftermarket replacement before buying an OEM part from the dealer. In certain cases, I stick to OEM because I have had past experiences that steer me away from the generic crap that exists out there. 

The most critical and compromised part of the E46 cooling system is by and large, the expansion tank. This particular part failure would have catastrophic consequences for the car's engine if it failed, it is not just a plastic part. Remember, the heat gauge on an E46 is a buffered one, by the time it starts getting to the red, your engine is already on the way to overheating.. This is the end for a car with an aluminium block.

I know of many GoldWagen expansion tanks that have failed on the E46, the latest one being a few weeks ago on a 330i (the tank was <12 months old). I would rather spend the premium and have peace of mind, especially on this critical component, than save a few bucks and have to redo the whole exercise when it inevitably fails... Also spare a thought for the inconvenience and safety risk, when you consider what failure means when you are out on the road. Been there, done that and my advice is, pay the premium.
The following 6 users Like KPM3_30's post:
  • CK4LIFE, GHOST E90, Kyle, michael.joseph, Peter@AEW, Riaad
(04-08-2020, 03:36 PM)KPM3_30 Wrote:
(04-08-2020, 03:26 PM)Jive_m135i Wrote:

To each their own.. I am an avid fan of doing research before buying a product, I would always consider a reputable aftermarket replacement before buying an OEM part from the dealer. In certain cases, I stick to OEM because I have had past experiences that steer me away from the generic crap that exists out there. 

The most critical and compromised part of the E46 cooling system is by and large, the expansion tank. This particular part failure would have catastrophic consequences for the car's engine if it failed, it is not just a plastic part. Remember, the heat gauge on an E46 is a buffered one, by the time it starts getting to the red, your engine is already on the way to overheating.. This is the end for a car with an aluminium block.

I know of many GoldWagen expansion tanks that have failed on the E46, the latest one being a few weeks ago on a 330i (the tank was <12 months old). I would rather spend the premium and have peace of mind, especially on this critical component, than save a few bucks and have to redo the whole exercise when it inevitably fails... Also spare a thought for the inconvenience and safety risk, when you consider what failure means when you are out on the road. Been there, done that and my advice is, pay the premium.

I'd follow this advice
[Image: img-20170810-wa0007_2499791248.jpg]
The following 2 users Like michael.joseph's post:
  • Bazza, Riaad
michael.joseph Wrote:
KPM3_30 Wrote:
Jive_m135i Wrote:
KPM3_30 Wrote:Do not fit a GoldWagen expansion tank, pay the premium and go with OEM on this particular part.

I'd follow this advice
Me to, cooling systems are critical.
I remember when doing the preventative cooling maintenance on my Z, I could get a an aftermarket pump for R1150 I instead saved up and got the Pierburg , which  was 4 times more but OEM, same with the thermostat, I got an OEM for R1200 as BMW had a special, aftermarkets weren't that much cheaper at R800, id spend more and have peace of mind.
Current:
2014 BMW F30 330d Msport - A/T - Alpine White
2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe E86 - Black Sapphire Metallic

Previous:
1994 VW Golf Mk3 GTi -
2005 BMW 118i Black Sapphire Metallic
2008 BMW 120i M-Sport Space Grey
2011 BMW E90 LCI 320d Msport - A/T Alpine White
2006 BMW E86 Z4 3.0Si Coupe Black Sapphire Metallic  - Manual
Hello all thank you for the advice, but i bought the moto euro tank from Goldwagen. I know that not all will approve my choice. The problem i have is i have replaced the tank and bled the system, now my coolant light stays on on my dashboard and it is yellow. I bled it in two ways with the ignition on and topped the coolant until there was a constant flow from the bleeder screw hole. I then started the engine and switched on the heater to its highest temperature and the air turned warm and the heat gauge stayed in the middle. What would cause the yellow coolant light to stay on in my dashboard?

Sent from my ANE-LX2 using Tapatalk
The plot thickens...

If theres a coolant light is it not thermostat related?

Ka-boom
(04-08-2020, 05:03 PM)Gert Moller Wrote: Hello all thank you for the advice, but i bought the moto euro tank from Goldwagen. I know that not all will approve my choice. The problem i have is i have replaced the tank and bled the system, now my coolant light stays on on my dashboard and it is yellow. I bled it in two ways with the ignition on and topped the coolant until there was a constant flow from the bleeder screw hole. I then started the engine and switched on the heater to its highest temperature and the air turned warm and the heat gauge stayed in the middle. What would cause the yellow coolant light to stay on in my dashboard?

So on the actual issue, yellow light is coolant level sensor that fits to the expansion tank, make sure its connected properly. 

Second point the moto euro parts from goldwagen are absolutely shit. The Febi bilstein part is the one to go for from Goldwagen with an OEM cap
Current rides
1995 E36 325i [Unfinished Monalisa]
2003 E46 M3 (Blitz) 
2004 E46 330D M-sport [167wkw 556nm]

Ex Rides
1998 160i Conquest Rs
2012 Yamaha FZ6R - Stock
The following 1 user Likes Nikhil's post:
  • Jive_m135i
(04-08-2020, 05:57 PM)Nikhil Wrote:
(04-08-2020, 05:03 PM)Gert Moller Wrote: Hello all thank you for the advice, but i bought the moto euro tank from Goldwagen. I know that not all will approve my choice. The problem i have is i have replaced the tank and bled the system, now my coolant light stays on on my dashboard and it is yellow. I bled it in two ways with the ignition on and topped the coolant until there was a constant flow from the bleeder screw hole. I then started the engine and switched on the heater to its highest temperature and the air turned warm and the heat gauge stayed in the middle. What would cause the yellow coolant light to stay on in my dashboard?

So on the actual issue, yellow light is coolant level sensor that fits to the expansion tank, make sure its connected properly. 

Second point the moto euro parts from goldwagen are absolutely shit. The Febi bilstein part is the one to go for from Goldwagen with an OEM cap
Should i return and take the more expensive tank?

(04-08-2020, 05:57 PM)Nikhil Wrote:

Nikhil has the vision

Ka-boom
Me thinks ..In life ... you get what you pay for
Thumbs
Current : 325i E90 M/Sport

[Image: th_Thirstybitch_zps62d2b1f9.jpg]

Good morning.
Could the ratio of coolant to distilled water have an imapct on the sensor? What is the correct ratio to use?

and buy a new cap! the cap is very important
CURRENT: BMW E36 M3 Coupe PROJECT...plan.. 18" EwingEquips & TURBO
CURRENT: BMW 330i individual..Arizona Sun on 19's
CURRENT: DATSUN PB210 aka BIN aka "Z" Coupe 2L on EwingEmotions
CURRENT: AUDI A5 on 20" Concavos
CURRENT: Rothmans VFR400 NC30 PROJECT
CURRENT: Repsol VFR400 NC30 PROJECT
EX: BMW 330i, BMW 330i, Range Rover 4.6 HSE Vogue, FORD XR6 & RS Turbo, OPEL Monza 200iCD16V, Toyota GLi Exec, VTEC, ALFA Giulietta & GT Junior stepnose, a few mingers
(05-08-2020, 08:36 AM)Gert Moller Wrote: Good morning.
Could the ratio of coolant to distilled water have an imapct on the sensor? What is the correct ratio to use?

No it won't, it should be a 50/50 mix
Current rides
1995 E36 325i [Unfinished Monalisa]
2003 E46 M3 (Blitz) 
2004 E46 330D M-sport [167wkw 556nm]

Ex Rides
1998 160i Conquest Rs
2012 Yamaha FZ6R - Stock
The following 1 user Likes Nikhil's post:
  • Jive_m135i
(05-08-2020, 09:09 AM)Nikhil Wrote:
(05-08-2020, 08:36 AM)Gert Moller Wrote: Good morning.

No it won't, it should be a 50/50 mix
I remember picking up my E46, the previous owner just kept on putting the BMW coolant straight into the tank without mixing with water LOL! Definitely needed a cooling system refresh XD

Ka-boom
If your coolant sensor goes on, there is only 2 things that could be wrong:
1. The sensor, cable or something with the sensor is faulty. Especially if it is on as soon as the car is on.
2. There is air in the system, and as soon as the system starts working, the light goes on because when it builds pressure while working, the level actually do drop.

I once had this issue it would go on after starting to drive. Was annoying, blead it many times. Eventually gave up and just dropped all the coolant out of the system, did a nice flush to clean it out, and started over. I also decided I had enough and just replaced the tank again with proper oem one. After that the issue was solved.

One way to test your sensor, swap the expansion tank sensor and the water bottle for washing windscreen sensors around. Its the same sensor. If sensor is faulty, the error should move to the water bottle for windscreen light on the dash.
[Image: 330-white-sig_8660310438.png]

In garage
My 330 - 01 BMW E46 330i 5-speed manual
The other 330 - 02 BMW E46 330i 5-speed manual
95 Nissan 1400 bakkie
03 BMW E46 318i N42 Manual Sold
The following 2 users Like Tinuva's post:
  • Jive_m135i, K0dAx
(05-08-2020, 09:13 AM)Tinuva Wrote: If your coolant sensor goes on, there is only 2 things that could be wrong:
1. The sensor, cable or something with the sensor is faulty. Especially if it is on as soon as the car is on.
2. There is air in the system, and as soon as the system starts working, the light goes on because when it builds pressure while working, the level actually do drop.

I once had this issue it would go on after starting to drive. Was annoying, blead it many times. Eventually gave up and just dropped all the coolant out of the system, did a nice flush to clean it out, and started over. I also decided I had enough and just replaced the tank again with proper oem one. After that the issue was solved.

One way to test your sensor, swap the expansion tank sensor and the water bottle for washing windscreen sensors around. Its the same sensor. If sensor is faulty, the error should move to the water bottle for windscreen light on the dash.
I swapped the sensors as suggested and the waterbottle light came on. I put in the old sensor and the coolant light isn't on anymore. Thank you for the advice. I am a bit sceptical about the expansion tank after you guys said that moto euro is crap