Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BMW 335i N55 EWG F30 Stage 1 Hybrid Turbo upgrade issues
Hi All, 

I need help/advice please. 

So I did a stage 1 hybrid turbo upgrade on my 335i. I got my car back and car was misfiring. The tuner never mentioned anything about needing fuel upgrades prior to doing the turbo upgrade: below is what they have said around it:
“This 335 I got the boost up to 1.8 but the rail pressure just drops and the car starts misfiring, so I have to keep the boost low in the midrange. He'll have to look at fuelling upgrades. The problem is the standard fuel pump doesn't flow enough. Even on Stage 2 the rail pressure dips but not enough to cause issues. On Stage 3 N55 we normally run direct port meth to help supply extra fuel so the fuel pump doesn't  drop pressure. The standard HPFP. “

We have put in new OEM plugs which helped with misfires as well. But the way the car is tuned it just doesn’t seem like it is what it should be at with a hybrid upgrade. Seems very lazy especially through mid range. 

Is this normal and common? 

What are the options? Looking for a second opinion. 

Mods that I had prior to stage 1 hybrid turbo upgrade:
Charge pipe 
Downpipe 
Software- stage 2
Hi Wazza,
1. I think its unacceptable for a tuner to give you back a misfiring N55. I would have named and shamed.
2. If the N55 PWG is struggling through midrange then she isn't tuned properly.
3. Gap the plugs
4. Install N20 3.5 bar TMAP sensor, car will just jump into limp constantly if this isn't done.Its a boost sensor off an S55.
5. Stock LPFP can handle up to E40 unless its giving up.
6. What did they modify on the turbo? just the compressor wheel? changed the housing? balance between CW and TW is very important. At altitude a hybrid can struggle to get to optimum WGDC so I would say go for a conservative tune for daily driving.
7. Tune for 95 octane(pump) and let ECU adjust to higher octane fuel.
Ex: 2008 135i N54
Ex: 2013 M135i N55
Current: 2003 325ci M54
Ka-boom
The following 1 user Likes Jive_m135i's post:
  • AshG108
Thanks for the reply ?
Some comments to your points below:

1. I do not want to name and shame anyone. The misfiring has gone away but I feel the car is not performing the way it should with the upgrade. Not sure if this is a tuning issue or if fueling is the actual issue? ??‍♂️

2. It is a EWG not PWG. Not sure if that would make a difference to your comment? Again not sure if the tune is the issue.

6. The tuner used stallion for the turbo upgrade. They took my stock turbo, and just worked on the compressor wheel portion. Widened it and installed new compressor wheel. Not sure all the details in terms of what they did to it.

Sorry not technical at all. Hope I answered it so you get a better understanding.

I am worried the car is over fueling which will damage the plugs etc.

Not sure if I should take it to someone else to have a look and provide their recommendations. Spent a lot of money so it’s frustrating.

I am in Gauteng, Centurion. Don’t mind traveling to JHB. Need someone that knows these BMWs
Okay either way you're gonna need that TMAP sensor.
EWG should make around 320WKW on hybrid, PWG just used a smaller turbo with mechanical Wastegate. You're gonna have to do some dyno time to get your map 100%.
This all should have been made clear to you by your tuner to be honest, hence my skepticism. Overfuelling often leads to backfire from the exhaust.
Either way this is definitely a tune issue IMO

I used SR Speedworx in Germiston. They're a team of N55 engine whisperers no doubt.

To answer how your car should feel:
Boost should jump in hard from 3000RPM all the way to 7000RPM , that is a modified N55 turbo feel.

If you have an F30 becareful of your internals, I've read somewhere it's not forged.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Ex: 2008 135i N54
Ex: 2013 M135i N55
Current: 2003 325ci M54
Ka-boom
(02-08-2020, 11:10 AM)Wazza Wrote: Hi All, 

I need help/advice please. 

So I did a stage 1 hybrid turbo upgrade on my 335i. I got my car back and car was misfiring. The tuner never mentioned anything about needing fuel upgrades prior to doing the turbo upgrade: below is what they have said around it:
“This 335 I got the boost up to 1.8 but the rail pressure just drops and the car starts misfiring, so I have to keep the boost low in the midrange. He'll have to look at fuelling upgrades. The problem is the standard fuel pump doesn't flow enough. Even on Stage 2 the rail pressure dips but not enough to cause issues. On Stage 3 N55 we normally run direct port meth to help supply extra fuel so the fuel pump doesn't  drop pressure. The standard HPFP. “

We have put in new OEM plugs which helped with misfires as well. But the way the car is tuned it just doesn’t seem like it is what it should be at with a hybrid upgrade. Seems very lazy especially through mid range. 

Is this normal and common? 

What are the options? Looking for a second opinion. 

Mods that I had prior to stage 1 hybrid turbo upgrade:
Charge pipe 
Downpipe 
Software- stage 2

So jive has some great experience behind him with this tuning experience on the N55 and I have taken many pointers from his thread on his car and also led me to getting mine.

I have currently got a Stage 2 Xcede Map, TMSS Downpipe, K&N Air Filter, Chargepipe and Boost Pipe upgraded, DV+, 2 step-colder spark plugs...For me to go Hybrid on mine, I have gotten advice and also researched...the following would be logical (even though mine is PWG anyway):
1. Fuel Pump Upgrade
2. Intercooler and/or WaterMeth Kit
3. T-Map Sensor
4. Stage 1 Hybrid either on a current PWG turbo (This would be an upgrade to the turbo on compressor on exhaust side...full hybrid conversion) OR a Vargas Turbo...

Now taking the above mods into consideration, I have sent enough time and money on maintenance firstly in the ffg order:
1. Tappet Cover Gasket
2. Oil Filter Housing Gaskets
3. Gearbox Service (82000km)
4. upgraded spark plugs
5. Full Oil Services including CeraTec.
6. Upgraded DV
7. Front main shaft seal also

This preventative maintenance will not just avoid oil leaks but strengthen the motor when ringing its neck for more power but the Fuel Pump and tmap sensor and cooling mods on a hybrid would also help the car adapt to that major upgrade to the car. It needs those as supporting mods to operate at full potential hence you are feeling the car is not "operating as it should".

So get to a dyno, get the car run and then also get logs run on it...secondly start looking at getting the supporting mods for the hybrid turbo rather. Diagnostics, logging and dyno would be your best bets right now.
Current:
2013 EB BMW M135i F20 - DP, K&N Filter, Xcede Stage 2 - 264wkw/635wnm
2016 Ice White Hyundai ix35 R2.0 CRDi Elite -
2008 Silverbird Grey VW Polo 1.4i Trendline

Gone but never forgotten:
2011 Mercedes-Benz C250 CDi BE Avantgarde - Madness Tuned
2010 Titanium Silver BMW 320d Exclusive E90 LCi - Chiplogic Tuned
2008 Stratosgrau Stratos Grey BMW 320i Individual E90
The following 1 user Likes AshG108's post:
  • Jive_m135i