Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello! Junior seeking guidance
Hello everyone!

I am an absolute newbie - to both the forum and to BMWs in general. I've read through a number of threads here and am blown away by the friendliness and sense of community you have here.

I was hoping you guys could help me. I am a young guy who wants to get into cars. I don't know much but am eager to learn. I am starting a new job in JHB next year and am considering buying a new car. I have a soft spot for older cars, and have been eyeing a 1980s 635 CSi (E24). 

I have a few questions regarding this beauty and was hoping you might be able to shed some light on the subject. I was wondering whether this will be a good daily driver? I will need a reliable car next year. Secondly, do you have any idea how much I should expect to pay for one of these? I have seen some online ranging from R200k to R500k. I definitely cannot afford a R500k car, but would a R200k option likely be in good nick? Thirdly, what should I look out for when buying a 635? I have read a number of articles and watched a few YouTube videos on the possible rust issues, but beyond that am unsure.

I would appreciate any help or guidance you can offer!

Cheers!
Wow, dude, having been a BMW Fanatic for as long as I can remember what I know of the 635's is they are rare (in good condition) and possibly even considered a collector's item, especially if it's a  CSI or CSL. My advice;
Look for a sub 150 - 200k kms E46 or E90, in any fuel variant, preferably with little to no obvious repair work, some sort of service history and that you can go test drive.

I know they aren't considered oldies yet but there are still a lot of clean, reliable cars around.

Imo a 6 series of that era would be a weekend car and expensive to maintain as a daily.
Tomorrow never stays and yesterday is just a page in the book of life.
Do and enjoy what you wish!

Ex - Formula M C Class
Ex - Formula M B Class
Ex - OPEL Corsa (B) GSi  > 1994
Ex - MAZDA Rustler 2.0L FE3 > 1997
Ex - FORD Bantam 1.6 XLE Rocam > 2008
Ex - BMW E36 328i Cabriolet  > 1998
Ex - OPEL Kadett E 2.0L (not a baby or superboss) > 1985
Ex - BMW E46 M3 Coupe MT6 > 2001
Ex - MAZDA 3 MPS MK1 > 2007

Ex - BMW E82 135i Coupe MT6 > 2008
Current - FORD T6 Ranger 2.2 XLS > 2013
Current - BMW E90 330d AUTO > 2006
Buying a 635 as a first car is awesome. I wouldn't say they're expensive to maintain regarding mechanicals (If you learn to do the maintenance yourself - They're not difficult to work on). Your biggest problem will be body parts etc. If you have to replace a door seal, those run around R8k from the dealer, if not more.

The floors in these love to rust. If it has a sunroof they tend to start rusting on the perimeter of it. The diffs can rip the mount off the underside of the car etc. Not trying to put you off at all though, as they're epic cars.

Price wise. Some of them are insanely expensive, but are well sorted (The 200k option will probably fall into this category). The cheaper ones tend to need a shed load of work to get them right.

If you want reliability, I'd suggest a sorted E36 325/328i. Parts are common and cheaper to replace.

@Donz135 - The E24 range consists of 628CSi, 630CS, 630CSi, 633CSi, 635CSi, M635CSi and M6. There were no CSLs.
The following 3 users Like Rammlied's post:
  • Donz135, pjp, UpNcOmiNg!
Hey bud,

Some advise here, buy your 635 when you find one, but do not use it as a daily, its a terrible idea.

Having to maintain something that is scarce, that you need to find parts for, and afford to pay astronomical prices, just so that you can get to work, is not sound.

Go buy an eco POS as a daily drive for as cheap as possible, call it 100k for a ford figo or something, and then get the 635 as a project... You will find out that on a project car, nothing is easy, nothing is cheap, and your going super rare as well...

Also, fuel consumption is a major factor, as is brake wear and the rest of the running costs, would you really want to pay for 20.0l/100 down to 6l/100, that could work you out to a couple of thou every month, depending on your travel.

Again.,. buy the project, not to daily...speaking from the viewpoint of somebody who has stuffed this one up many times...
I will be on the other side if anybody needs me Bluebiggrin
The following 3 users Like zaleonardz's post:
  • Jeremy.d, pjp, UpNcOmiNg!
(30-07-2020, 05:17 PM)Rammlied Wrote: Buying a 635 as a first car is awesome. I wouldn't say they're expensive to maintain regarding mechanicals (If you learn to do the maintenance yourself - They're not difficult to work on). Your biggest problem will be body parts etc. If you have to replace a door seal, those run around R8k from the dealer, if not more.

The floors in these love to rust. If it has a sunroof they tend to start rusting on the perimeter of it. The diffs can rip the mount off the underside of the car etc. Not trying to put you off at all though, as they're epic cars.

Price wise. Some of them are insanely expensive, but are well sorted (The 200k option will probably fall into this category). The cheaper ones tend to need a shed load of work to get them right.

If you want reliability, I'd suggest a sorted E36 325/328i. Parts are common and cheaper to replace.

@Donz135 - The E24 range consists of 628CSi, 630CS, 630CSi, 633CSi, 635CSi, M635CSi and M6. There were no CSLs.
Thank you for the correction. I was thinking of the homologation car for the touring car series, but also that was E9.
Tomorrow never stays and yesterday is just a page in the book of life.
Do and enjoy what you wish!

Ex - Formula M C Class
Ex - Formula M B Class
Ex - OPEL Corsa (B) GSi  > 1994
Ex - MAZDA Rustler 2.0L FE3 > 1997
Ex - FORD Bantam 1.6 XLE Rocam > 2008
Ex - BMW E36 328i Cabriolet  > 1998
Ex - OPEL Kadett E 2.0L (not a baby or superboss) > 1985
Ex - BMW E46 M3 Coupe MT6 > 2001
Ex - MAZDA 3 MPS MK1 > 2007

Ex - BMW E82 135i Coupe MT6 > 2008
Current - FORD T6 Ranger 2.2 XLS > 2013
Current - BMW E90 330d AUTO > 2006
The 635csi will always be a timeless machine. Using it as a daily is probably not recommended. Don't think you want a taxi or anyone for that matter bumping you in traffic and then having to source body panels which is going to be tough and then you may find yourself without a car for a while. Also having it as a weekender will definitely help retain its investment value better
Current: Vivo Blueline 
Previous:
2016 M235i 
2014 Fiesta ST
1984 Nissan Langley SSS Turbo
The following 1 user Likes kramz's post:
  • pjp
Agreed with almost all of the above.

I daily drove mine about 8 years ago without issue (other than normal old bmw maintenance) BUT at that point parts and panels etc. were also easier to find because the cars weren't worth much.

Get something reliable to run around in and then go find that car your want and enjoy bringing it back to its best, because they all need something.

Sent from my MAR-LX2 using Tapatalk
[Image: Untitled_zpssiz6lqcy.png]
The following 1 user Likes Wes's post:
  • pjp
must agree with above expect for the advice not to buy one...life is short...if you want one nows the time they will only get more expensive...do not daily it as stated above...get a cheap runaround.
CURRENT: BMW E36 M3 Coupe PROJECT...plan.. 18" EwingEquips & TURBO
CURRENT: BMW 330i individual..Arizona Sun on 19's
CURRENT: DATSUN PB210 aka BIN aka "Z" Coupe 2L on EwingEmotions
CURRENT: AUDI A5 on 20" Concavos
CURRENT: Rothmans VFR400 NC30 PROJECT
CURRENT: Repsol VFR400 NC30 PROJECT
EX: BMW 330i, BMW 330i, Range Rover 4.6 HSE Vogue, FORD XR6 & RS Turbo, OPEL Monza 200iCD16V, Toyota GLi Exec, VTEC, ALFA Giulietta & GT Junior stepnose, a few mingers
The following 1 user Likes individj's post:
  • pjp
(30-07-2020, 05:17 PM)Rammlied Wrote: Buying a 635 as a first car is awesome. I wouldn't say they're expensive to maintain regarding mechanicals (If you learn to do the maintenance yourself - They're not difficult to work on). Your biggest problem will be body parts etc. If you have to replace a door seal, those run around R8k from the dealer, if not more.

Thanks for the advice! Wow, I had no idea how expensive the body parts are. Judging from the responses here it seems like using a 635 as a daily would be unwise. Its clearly better to get one as a weekender / project, but it may feel odd as a 23-24 year old having two cars haha!

(30-07-2020, 06:00 PM)zaleonardz Wrote: Hey bud,

Some advise here, buy your 635 when you find one, but do not use it as a daily, its a terrible idea.

Having to maintain something that is scarce, that you need to find parts for, and afford to pay astronomical prices, just so that you can get to work, is not sound.

Go buy an eco POS as a daily drive for as cheap as possible, call it 100k for a ford figo or something, and then get the 635 as a project... You will find out that on a project car, nothing is easy, nothing is cheap, and your going super rare as well...

Also, fuel consumption is a major factor, as is brake wear and the rest of the running costs, would you really want to pay for 20.0l/100 down to 6l/100, that could work you out to a couple of thou every month, depending on your travel.

Again.,. buy the project, not to daily...speaking from the viewpoint of somebody who has stuffed this one up many times...
I appreciate the advice, thank you! The fuel consumption and parts scarcity are definitely issues I didn't consider.

Am I being too hopeful thinking I could own a car pre-1990s as a daily? Or are there other older cars (even non-BMWs) whose parts, etc. may be easier to source? I am in love with the 635, but might put it on ice for a while if its an unrealistic goal.

(31-07-2020, 09:40 AM)Wes Wrote: Agreed with almost all of the above.

I daily drove mine about 8 years ago without issue (other than normal old bmw maintenance) BUT at that point parts and panels etc. were also easier to find because the cars weren't worth much.

Get something reliable to run around in and then go find that car your want and enjoy bringing it back to its best, because they all need something.

Thanks for the tips. So jealous you were able to daily yours a while back!

I currently have a TT (Toyota Tazz, don't get too excited!). I want to upgrade to something that is more fun to drive and that has some safety features. I have always wanted to drive something pre-1990s and absolutely love the 635. I realise now that it would be foolish to forge ahead, buy a 635 and try daily it. Are there any cool cars built in the 80s or earlier that you think I could daily? Or am I simply 10 years too late? Maybe something in the early 90s?
pjp ' Wrote: Thanks for the tips. So jealous you were able to daily yours a while back!

I currently have a TT (Toyota Tazz, don't get too excited!). I want to upgrade to something that is more fun to drive and that has some safety features. I have always wanted to drive something pre-1990s and absolutely love the 635. I realise now that it would be foolish to forge ahead, buy a 635 and try daily it. Are there any cool cars built in the 80s or earlier that you think I could daily? Or am I simply 10 years too late? Maybe something in the early 90s?

Nothing is impossible. And there are plenty of guys who daily older cars. But you can easily end up spending all your free time keeping it in good condition AND then be on your nerves in traffic while buddy in his picanto is doing 80km/h next to you, sitting on his phone.

Get the second car, 635, e30, Colt, SSS, whatever you feel would be a good adventure and get involved in its sub-culture, go to the meets, arrange to see random people in towns you never heard of to collect trim pieces. Your 20's should be all about experiences and adventures.

But for your sanity, keep the TT (Tazz, don't get excited) and enjoy all of it.

[Image: Untitled_zpssiz6lqcy.png]
The following 3 users Like Wes's post:
  • Donz135, K0dAx, pjp