Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BMW E90 320d not starting after high pressure engine wash
grin 
Good day Fanatics
I washed my BMW 320D E90 engine with a high pressure washer and it just went off. I am not sure wich part was affected by water bcoz it just cranks but not starting. There is no power on the intank high pressure pump. The diagnostic results show that The Glow control unit is the issue. I changed that and still the car doesnt start. I at times starts and just goes off. No water on the computer box. THe car went off during the washing process when I was washing the side of the alternator. Now it just cranks if it starts and I leave it idling then it will go off by itself

Please help, does a faulty  MAF sensor stop a car from starting.
Did you by any chance also was the interior with the high pressure washer?
#NoLivesMatter
(30-07-2020, 07:21 AM)tman Wrote: Did you by any chance also was the interior with the high pressure washer?
only the engine
Did you wash the engine while it was running?
Current:
Nike Air Force 1 React

Ex:
F25 X3 2.0d ,Alfa Romeo GT 3.2F20 M135iE90 M3 Dynamic LCi, '11 BMW E90 320d MSport, '09 BMW E90 320i Exclusive, '03 BMW E46 330i Individual, '02 BMW E39 525i Individual, '06 Impreza 2.0R Wagon, '03 S3 8L, '11 A3 1.6TDi, '70 VW Beetle 1600 Twin Port '00 A4 2.4 V6, '09 Ibiza Cupra 1.8T, 2013 Vivo Gran Turismo, E36 M3 Coupe, E46 320i Individual MSport, '98 Civic V Tec, E36 318is Msport, E30 318i Coupe,GOLF MK1 GT
(30-07-2020, 08:05 AM)Kyle Wrote: Did you wash the engine while it was running?
yes the car was running then it jus stopped running then next thing it just crank
(30-07-2020, 08:25 AM)madzivanyikapercy@gmail.com Wrote:
(30-07-2020, 08:05 AM)Kyle Wrote: Did you wash the engine while it was running?
yes the car was running then it jus stopped running then next thing it just crank
This is the problem, washing while running is an outdated technique that was only valid on older carb engines with minimal electronics.... On a modern engine, while running, there are many electronic signals active, which is why introducing water is a bad idea. What likely happened was water got into one of the sensors and shorted it out.

Your best bet is to get the car scanned and see which faults are present.
Current:
Nike Air Force 1 React

Ex:
F25 X3 2.0d ,Alfa Romeo GT 3.2F20 M135iE90 M3 Dynamic LCi, '11 BMW E90 320d MSport, '09 BMW E90 320i Exclusive, '03 BMW E46 330i Individual, '02 BMW E39 525i Individual, '06 Impreza 2.0R Wagon, '03 S3 8L, '11 A3 1.6TDi, '70 VW Beetle 1600 Twin Port '00 A4 2.4 V6, '09 Ibiza Cupra 1.8T, 2013 Vivo Gran Turismo, E36 M3 Coupe, E46 320i Individual MSport, '98 Civic V Tec, E36 318is Msport, E30 318i Coupe,GOLF MK1 GT
The following 2 users Like Kyle's post:
  • ///M Individual, UpNcOmiNg!
(30-07-2020, 07:21 AM)tman Wrote: Did you by any chance also was the interior with the high pressure washer?

Why do you have to be such a dick? if you can't assist the OP then bypass the thread.

@OP follow Kyles advice, any number of items could have shorted out, so best to scan and start tracing
2010 E92 ///M3 DCT LCi "Croxley Tuned" Ka-boom
2012 F25 X3 3.0d
The following 3 users Like 922-ZN's post:
  • ///M Individual, Kyle, UpNcOmiNg!
(30-07-2020, 08:52 AM)922-ZN Wrote:

Why do you have to be such a dick? if you can't assist the OP then bypass the thread.

@OP follow Kyles advice, any number of items could have shorted out, so best to scan and start tracing
I Scanned and it shows glow control unit, I did change that with 3 identical with same part numbers but still

After seeing numerous video's of people doing this, ie: 

Its not an unreasonable thing to consider the OP also did this? If so, it could explain why the car is not starting.
#NoLivesMatter
Hello and welcome to the first Eff up with a pressure washer.
There are parts in your engine bay that have a graphic on them that look like spraying water. Never, EVER spray those parts with a pressure washer.

If the car is cranking but will not start, first start by opening and drying the engine bay of the car out completely. remove all standing water on or around any electronics and use a fan to dry everything else.

sometimes, that will be enough to get it going once everything is dry, in which case you are lucky.

IF that fails, you will need to check what has shorted by checking your fuses to see if anything has popped.
Then you will have to use diagnostics to trace the fault error codes.

There are a few masters on here with the tools and know how who may be able to help you with OBD scanners and fault codes.

Washing the engine bay with a pressure washer carries more risks than benefits and its better for you, if youre not a pro to simply use an unpressurised hose pipe.

I hope you come right.

To those making fun of the OP, remember, guys come here for the fun and advice, not to be made fun of when asking advice.

(30-07-2020, 09:17 AM)madzivanyikapercy@gmail.com Wrote:

I Scanned and it shows glow control unit, I did change that with 3 identical with same part numbers but still
Simply replacing the part will not resolve the problem, you need the fault codes cleared and reset to normal.
Nastaliq
Current: 2017 BMW 520d M Sport - Alpine White
Previous: 2014 BMW 520d M Sport - Carbon Black Metallic + BMW PPK
Previous: 2010 BMW 320d A/T Exclusive - Sapphire Black
Previous: 2005 BMW 320i A/T Exclusive - Titanium Silver
The following 1 user Likes Nastaliq's post:
  • SlimmJimm

I would normally agree - but I have actually heard of this happening to people - especially if you are not carefully spraying off the door jamb (for those who do this) and get water in the modules in the driver footwell.

First try clearing Codes but my money is on water still being trapped inside of a harness close to the alternator (the water will find its way in but not out - I had this on a mate's Subaru) or a blown fuse for the fuel pump.
[Image: w0YM6SYl.png]
Also, you might have changed the part, but the related wiring or a sensor near the glow plug unit could be an issue. I sincerely hope that water in the alternator didn't cause a spike or drop in voltage and cause a string of other issues.
No, no, he didn’t slam you, he didn’t bump you, he didn’t nudge you… he *rubbed* you. And rubbin, son, is racin’. – Harry Hogge, Days of Thunder

Current Rides
2007 530d MSport (DP, 76mm exhaust, RK Motion tune, OEM M6 wheels)
2012 X1 2.0D MSport
1996 200 Si Camry
[Image: photo%20from%20sashchern_5592516823.jpg]
Best way is to start and check all fuses if they are fine - remember if something shorts the fuse is there to protect other components from blowing up too - please look at ALL Fuses (Glove Box, Battery side and engine bay also I think?).

Scan and clear all codes and then try and start up and as @TurboLlew said it might be standing water so leave the car to dry off properly in a well ventilated warm area and see what happens.

You mentioned that there is no power also on the intank high pressure pump - Im not sure with diesels but maybe the pump and glow plugs run off the same wiring and it may just be a fuse (usually always is).

Also check if your alternator is charging when the car is running to route that out.

Hope you come right and keep us posted Bluebiggrin