Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BMW E90 no compression
i have a BMW E90 320i, car has about 240 000km on the clock, car was smoking when the vehicle was standing idle, grey smoke on pull off. i sent the vehicle in and they removed the head and had the head redone , acid bath, new valve stem seals,  engine is reassembled.  now when the car is started there is no compression, but if you turn the car over manually is builds compression very quick, try start it after that and loosing all compression,  car drove in to the workshop. all old oil and sludge has been cleaned, the head has been sent back to for testing and passed. the car has been reset with the computer , any ideas
Is there no compression on a specific cylinder or on all cylinders?

You're building compression on all your cylinders until you start the car?
[Image: w0YM6SYl.png]
What does it do that you know its losing all compression? Are you measuring it? Or just by sound?
Current
2000 bmw e46 320i

Previous
1.1 fiat uno fire
2013 Hyundai i10 1.1
(29-07-2020, 06:25 PM)Camnefdt Wrote: What does it do that you know its losing all compression? Are you measuring it? Or just by sound?
So if you manually turn the engine over it was build compression quickly. If you start the car with the key it will loose all compression. All cylinders. You can hear by ear there is no compression

(29-07-2020, 04:49 PM)TurboLlew Wrote: Is there no compression on a specific cylinder or on all cylinders?

You're building compression on all your cylinders until you start the car?
Manually there is compression. As soon as you start the car with the key. First cycle you can hear it still has compression. And second cycle it's gone. And it will just keep cranking with no compression
Sounds like valvetronic to me
Current rides
1995 E36 325i [Unfinished Monalisa]
2003 E46 M3 (Blitz) 
2004 E46 330D M-sport [167wkw 556nm]

Ex Rides
1998 160i Conquest Rs
2012 Yamaha FZ6R - Stock
(30-07-2020, 02:40 PM)Nikhil Wrote: Sounds like valvetronic to me
Busy replacing it quick

(30-07-2020, 03:49 PM)garrethwessels Wrote:
(30-07-2020, 02:40 PM)Nikhil Wrote: Sounds like valvetronic to me
Busy replacing it quick
Replaceed the valvetronic. Did the adaption. Still no compression
Don't go by sound only, get it tested. What your 'hearing' could be very different from whats actually happening

If there's no compression at all while cranking, check your timing. If it's just low, make sure your torqued the head down correctly.

You can also make sure that you arent getting compression into your cooling system or sump.
Current
2000 bmw e46 320i

Previous
1.1 fiat uno fire
2013 Hyundai i10 1.1
was also thinking timing
CURRENT: BMW E36 M3 Coupe PROJECT...plan.. 18" EwingEquips & TURBO
CURRENT: BMW 330i individual..Arizona Sun on 19's
CURRENT: DATSUN PB210 aka BIN aka "Z" Coupe 2L on EwingEmotions
CURRENT: AUDI A5 on 20" Concavos
CURRENT: Rothmans VFR400 NC30 PROJECT
CURRENT: Repsol VFR400 NC30 PROJECT
EX: BMW 330i, BMW 330i, Range Rover 4.6 HSE Vogue, FORD XR6 & RS Turbo, OPEL Monza 200iCD16V, Toyota GLi Exec, VTEC, ALFA Giulietta & GT Junior stepnose, a few mingers
(31-07-2020, 10:45 AM)individj Wrote: was also thinking timing
timing  is done, it builds compression when manually cranked,  if timing was out it would never build compression
well no it could have compression depending on how much its out
CURRENT: BMW E36 M3 Coupe PROJECT...plan.. 18" EwingEquips & TURBO
CURRENT: BMW 330i individual..Arizona Sun on 19's
CURRENT: DATSUN PB210 aka BIN aka "Z" Coupe 2L on EwingEmotions
CURRENT: AUDI A5 on 20" Concavos
CURRENT: Rothmans VFR400 NC30 PROJECT
CURRENT: Repsol VFR400 NC30 PROJECT
EX: BMW 330i, BMW 330i, Range Rover 4.6 HSE Vogue, FORD XR6 & RS Turbo, OPEL Monza 200iCD16V, Toyota GLi Exec, VTEC, ALFA Giulietta & GT Junior stepnose, a few mingers
try checking your vanos.

I am not sure but it is worth a shot also what does the diagnostics say ?
Ex: 1991 Nissan S13 200SX
1997 Opel 200IS
1989 Yamaha FZR 250
1991 Honda VFR NC30 400
2003 Yamaha YZF R1
Current: 2006 BMW E90 320i
2009 Yamaha YZF R1
(31-07-2020, 01:11 PM)garrethwessels Wrote:
timing  is done, it builds compression when manually cranked,  if timing was out it would never build compression

stop making assumptions and test properly.

There's other factors that could create the feel of compression when turning by hand and equally as many that cause the 'sound' of no compression. Even low compression would make it sound like there is no compression.

No compression means something is very very wrong somewhere.
low compression means something is not sealing when it is suppose to.

where about are you? where is the car?
Current
2000 bmw e46 320i

Previous
1.1 fiat uno fire
2013 Hyundai i10 1.1
thats why i am saying since the vanos activates when turning the car via your normal starting opperation ...... and yes no compresson means something serious wrong somewhere and low compression is a leak somewhere.

Take it to a reputable mech/shop and let them have a look.... i am no expert just trying to help a guy out.
Ex: 1991 Nissan S13 200SX
1997 Opel 200IS
1989 Yamaha FZR 250
1991 Honda VFR NC30 400
2003 Yamaha YZF R1
Current: 2006 BMW E90 320i
2009 Yamaha YZF R1
(31-07-2020, 03:48 PM)MGO_BMW Wrote: thats why i am saying since the vanos activates when turning the car via your normal starting opperation ...... and yes no compresson means something serious wrong somewhere and low compression is a leak somewhere.

Take it to a reputable mech/shop and let them have a look.... i am no expert just trying to help a guy out.

Qppologies if it wasn't clear, my reply was to OP smile bounce

Hes just assuming an issue without valid testing. That type of fixing is what causes mechanics to chase their tales and never truly find issues. Simple tests like a compression test will tell you straight away what to stary looking at next.
Current
2000 bmw e46 320i

Previous
1.1 fiat uno fire
2013 Hyundai i10 1.1
The following 1 user Likes Camnefdt's post:
  • MGO_BMW
(31-07-2020, 03:03 PM)Camnefdt Wrote:

There's other factors that could create the feel of compression when turning by hand and equally as many that cause the 'sound' of no compression. Even low compression would make it sound like there is no compression.

Car is at my with the repair shop. Jag auto tech. The car drove into the workshop. They took the head off and sent it in. They did a full clean and valve stem seal replacement. Put the head back on. Brand new gasket kit. I have tested and replaced the valvetronic. It's working. Car just won't build compression. 

(31-07-2020, 06:41 PM)Camnefdt Wrote:
(31-07-2020, 03:48 PM)MGO_BMW Wrote: thats why i am saying since the vanos activates when turning the car via your normal starting opperation ...... and yes no compresson means something serious wrong somewhere and low compression is a leak somewhere.

Hes just assuming an issue without valid testing. That type of fixing is what causes mechanics to chase their tales and never truly find issues. Simple tests like a compression test will tell you straight away what to stary looking at next.
Car drove in to the work shop. It's only since the head was redone. And the head was done by a company that was pressure tested it 3 times.
(01-08-2020, 12:06 PM)garrethwessels Wrote:

Car is at my with the repair shop. Jag auto tech. The car drove into the workshop. They took the head off and sent it in. They did a full clean and valve stem seal replacement. Put the head back on. Brand new gasket kit. I have tested and replaced the valvetronic. It's working. Car just won't build compression. 

Car drove in to the work shop. It's only since the head was redone. And the head was done by a company that was pressure tested it 3 times.
I have sent you a PM, drop me a whatsapp and ill help you as much as i can. there are some tricks to testing to give you an idea of whats going on.
Current
2000 bmw e46 320i

Previous
1.1 fiat uno fire
2013 Hyundai i10 1.1
(01-08-2020, 02:00 PM)Camnefdt Wrote:
(01-08-2020, 12:06 PM)garrethwessels Wrote:

I have sent you a PM, drop me a whatsapp and ill help you as much as i can. there are some tricks to testing to give you an idea of whats going on.
no PM

(31-07-2020, 03:00 PM)MGO_BMW Wrote: try checking your vanos.

I am not sure but it is worth a shot also what does the diagnostics say ?
i have replaced both vanos, about 10k km ago