Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[discussion] Alternatives to Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico
Hi,

I have 235/45 R19 99V Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetricos on my Volvo V60 CC AWD.
They were on the car since new and mileage is approaching 50,000km.
Tyre are rotated regularly.
Overall tread has about 10,000km left.

I do about 80% tar road driving and 20% gravel (rough gravel, but not axle twister stuff) on average per year.

I have no major complaints.
I do see that the rubber on the edges seems brittle (little pieces are coming off - though this is just superficial).
Also, the ride is not that smooth - granted the car does ride on 19s.
Offroad grip, especially on steep inclines, is excellent - though I wonder if this is more due to the AWD setup of the car.
The tyres do not seem that grippy on dry or wet tar roads - fine for a raised wagon/SUV, I would say. But, could be better.

Anyway, my Google search revealed that these tyres (Summer tyres, given that we have no snow) are the best performing according to international reviews:
- Michellin Pilot Sport 4 SUV
- Continental ContiSportContact 5 SUV
- Pirelli Scorpion Verde (seems more road based than the Zero Assimetrico, so better tar road grip). 

Given that I do 80/20 tar/gravel, what would you suggest?

Any experience with any of the above tyres on BMW X models that are x-drive?
As reference, my car has 440Nm, weighs 1.8 ton and runs mainly FWD with AWD kicking in when slip is detected.
Current: 2016 Volvo V60 C.C. D4 AWD Polestar
Current: 2013 Porsche Boxster (981) PDK

Ex: 2016 Mazda CX5 2.0 Active Auto
Ex: 2017 320d M-Sport Sports Auto
Ex: 2013 Audi TT 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic
Ex (SO): 2014 Audi A3 1.4 TFSI SE Sedan (M)
Ex (SO): 2011 Ford Focus 1.8Si (M)
Ex: 2010 Audi A4 1.8 TFSI Ambition (M)
Ex: 2007 Volvo C30 2.0i (M)
Ex: 2005 Opel Astra Classic 1.6i Club (M)

[Image: 983452.png]
I am leaning towards Continental ContiSportContact 5 SUV tyres.
The Michellins are great, but the cost and availability not as good as the Contis.
Will pull the trigger soon.

(22-07-2020, 01:49 PM)MR_Y Wrote: I am leaning towards Continental ContiSportContact 5 SUV tyres.
The Michellins are great, but the cost and availability not as good as the Contis.
Will pull the trigger soon.

Will be interested to hear what you think of the Conti's. I have opted to go for the Falken Azensis FK510's for the X3, as I was quite happy with their predecessor (FK543). Price also being quite favourable compared to the Michelin et al. 
Good luck with your choice...
The following 1 user Likes PLV's post:
  • MR_Y
I would choose anything over the Pirelli’s. I have had nothing but bad luck on them.

I have Michelin PS4 SUV on the Landrover Discovery and I’m very happy with them. I had Goodyear’s on before this set and they hardly lasted 40k km. They grip well (for what limits you can exert with a 3ton behemoth) and Road noise is great. They are perfect for the use your looking to use them for. I’m not sure on the rolling resistance when it comes to fuel economy due to the size of the Disco and the fact I haven’t done a long trip with them yet to compare.

I have also taken them off-road at Groenkloof and they handled that abuse very well (Although next time I will only use Full Off-road tyres so I don’t have to worry about sidewall rubbing as much)
The following 1 user Likes ChrisPy's post:
  • MR_Y
(22-07-2020, 04:52 PM)ChrisPy Wrote: I would choose anything over the Pirelli’s. I have had nothing but bad luck on them.

I have Michelin PS4 SUV on the Landrover Discovery and I’m very happy with them. I had Goodyear’s on before this set and they hardly lasted 40k km. They grip well (for what limits you can exert with a 3ton behemoth) and Road noise is great. They are perfect for the use your looking to use them for. I’m not sure on the rolling resistance when it comes to fuel economy due to the size of the Disco and the fact I haven’t done a long trip with them yet to compare.

I have also taken them off-road at Groenkloof and they handled that abuse very well (Although next time I will only use Full Off-road tyres so I don’t have to worry about sidewall rubbing as much)

How would you rate the availability of PS4s vs other brands?

I got mine as they became available. I dealt with Tyre Plus (Michelin’s tyre fitment franchise) directly and they arranged stock for me.

I see the size you need is (according to their website) a new size offered on RSA so you might be lucky in that they just received shipment or you might have to wait for stock.

Michelin’s stock in general i have heard is an issue but I’ve been extremely lucky. When I had a sidewall slice on my 20” PS4 S (My M3) while on holiday, there were only 2 in the country and they had to courier one down to Durban from JHB for me.

As for other brands availability I must admit that michelin is the only tyre brand that I have had to worry about waiting for. Others always have stock

Just remembered something that you can take with a pinch of salt.

Last year April I was invited to a Michelin tyre experience at Kyalami. They used that to launch the PS4 SUV and Their CUP 2 R tyre.

For the SUV tyre they had X6’s with competitors tyres on them and X6’s with the PS4 SUV’s on and we got to test braking back to back. The PS4 SUV tyre braked a remarkable distance shorter than the competitors tyre. They had sanded off the make on the side of the tyre but I took a photo of the tread pattern and searched for that pattern and it was the continentals. Like I said though this would be easy to stage in the Michelin’s favour.

They also had Volvo XC90’s and a few land Rovers on the skidpan and the tyres gripped extremely well unless you went idiot and pushed to hard or offered too much steering lock, then it would I steer wide.

They had XC60’s on the Dynamic handling track and they handled that well as well.

But like I said take it with a pinch of salt. These days are easy to stage.
The following 1 user Likes ChrisPy's post:
  • MR_Y