Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buying a Jeep in South Africa?
Question 
I'm sort of getting over Sedans, and am thinking (like many others these days) of heading into the higher-car territory. 
The only problem is, I hate 99% of all SUV's I more prefer the rugged look of an off-roader that has daily drive-ability, with a bit of the typical comfort features. 
One car that really grabs me is the Suzuki Jimny. I love this thing, but the trade-offs for a daily driver are just a bit too much, not to mention waiting lists etc.
Another car brand that piques my interest is Jeep. I'm on the fence about the little Renegade, but I've loved the look of the Wrangler since I was a kid.

With a budget of +/- 350k for a car, all I could hope to get in terms of a Wrangler is like a 2015/16 2 door with low-ish mileage.

Does anybody have any experience with owning a Jeep in SA? What are maintenance costs like for an out-of-plan Jeep? I presume all parts would need to be imported, etc, and are probably quite costly. Is it worth it? Or am I wasting my time here.

I looked at this sometime last year. I've never owned a Jeep but I do like them and have many many many friends who have had them and enjoyed them. NONE of them had anything good to say about service or support though...

I am sure you know this, but the Renegade is a Fiat 500X tarted up... In my mind it is like buying any other 'wannabe SUV' that will never go offroad. You also have to deal with FCA South Africa which can be... challenging. Like I say, most people (like Alfa) love the cars but then hate the support and attitude. Your mileage will vary with dealers I guess.

The two offroaders that you mention: the Wrangler and Jimny

I love the Wrangler to be honest. Plenty of accessories and upgrades... and remedies to the issues over the years. It isn't too big and it is functional as well. When I think of "jeep" I first think of the original Willys and then the Wrangler. I am not 100% sure on maintenance costs.

I absolutely LOVE the Jimny... and I love that it is a 'real 4x4' that puts many 'bigger/more butch looking' things to shame. If it was my money I wouldn't even think twice. Suzuki has known what they are doing on this one for decades.

On more of the 'car-like' daily driver side consider the Subaru Forester (you will likely still get middle of the road support and service, but it will probably be better than Jeep? - others can chime in)

In that price range used, look at the Toyota FJ Cruiser. Another oddity that is built on a VERY capable platform. The only reason I don't have one is because my wife absolutely HATES it LOL. They are putting on miles and are getting older now though.

Any other 'luxury' Jeep I would rather have the BMW or Mercedes version... if not for anything else but the support and service.

also check out 4x4 community forum for more owner experiences.
[Image: w0YM6SYl.png]
The following 1 user Likes TurboLlew's post:
  • LukeHawk
(23-05-2020, 09:21 PM)TurboLlew Wrote: I looked at this sometime last year. I've never owned a Jeep but I do like them and have many many many friends who have had them and enjoyed them. NONE of them had anything good to say about service or support though...

I am sure you know this, but the Renegade is a Fiat 500X tarted up... In my mind it is like buying any other 'wannabe SUV' that will never go offroad. You also have to deal with FCA South Africa which can be... challenging. Like I say, most people (like Alfa) love the cars but then hate the support and attitude. Your mileage will vary with dealers I guess.

The two offroaders that you mention: the Wrangler and Jimny

I love the Wrangler to be honest. Plenty of accessories and upgrades... and remedies to the issues over the years. It isn't too big and it is functional as well. When I think of "jeep" I first think of the original Willys and then the Wrangler. I am not 100% sure on maintenance costs.

I absolutely LOVE the Jimny... and I love that it is a 'real 4x4' that puts many 'bigger/more butch looking' things to shame. If it was my money I wouldn't even think twice. Suzuki has known what they are doing on this one for decades.

On more of the 'car-like' daily driver side consider the Subaru Forester (you will likely still get middle of the road support and service, but it will probably be better than Jeep? - others can chime in)

In that price range used, look at the Toyota FJ Cruiser. Another oddity that is built on a VERY capable platform. The only reason I don't have one is because my wife absolutely HATES it LOL. They are putting on miles and are getting older now though.

Any other 'luxury' Jeep I would rather have the BMW or Mercedes version... if not for anything else but the support and service.

also check out 4x4 community forum for more owner experiences.

Shot, Llew! I'm with you on this. I'm not sold on the Renegade, being basically a Fiat, and very much a babies first SUV (although.. I guess I'll fit in the bracket). I'd rather just keep what I have now than go for a Renegade.
Agree on the Jimny, absolutely love it. It would make a perfect second car, but alas, I dont have the money atm for a second fun car. The prices for them have gone up, due to limited availability though, and to get one in the exact spec you want is pretty hard, with all the waiting lists, etc. I could hold out and try my best for one though.

I checked out the Subarus, but something about their interior puts me off. That or I'm just being a brand snob. My wife is with yours on the FJ Cruiser, says it looks like a lego brick haha.

Oldish Wrangler, some mods/accessories to modernize it a bit (rear view cam, new infotainment for car play, and some LED headlights) and I'm pretty convinced I'll have a great time. I just wonder about whether or not I'd have to sell a kidney to import parts for it if it breaks. I'll check out the 4x4 communities, thanks!

All this being said, I dont go off-road a huge amount, just some shoddy/gravel roads on occasion, so what the hell am I even looking at a wrangler for.. Who knows? I sure don't. Maybe I should just look at a BMW X1 or something.

My previous boss had a Jeep and taking it to the dealers was not nice.. He got a couple large bills after having some work done on the car.

You can try another place in Centurion, Pretoria called American SUV for work on the Jeep, they very knowledgeable on these cars and they are reasonably priced
https://www.americansuv.co.za/
If you are not going to go off-road, check out the Lexus RX350. They depreciate quite a lot so you can get a good deal. Long term ownership is good, with Toyota reliability. Maintenance can be done with spares available from Autozone, Midas e.a.

For serious off-roading a Prado or Fortuner is the safe choice. Unfortunately prices on these are crazy. Jeep does not have a great reputation for reliability. Neither does Land Rover. The best deal seems to be a Pajero.

Here is a 2016 Pajero Sport 2.5DI-D 4x4 Auto with 66 000km right in your budget.

https://www.autotrader.co.za/car-for-sal...5/25245994

How about a 2018 Pajero Sport 2.4 D4 4x2 with 32 000km for R400k?

https://www.autotrader.co.za/car-for-sal...4/25414378
Present BMWs:
'02 530i Manual
Past BMWs:
'79 520 Manual, '97 328i Manual, '97 528i Auto, '98 318is Manual, '89 735i Auto, '01 325i Manual