Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kids vandalising car - advice please
Good day fellow fanatics
Im hoping to get any advice or insight on how to address a child problem.

In a nutshell:
I own a property in a complex, and I have a tenant staying there.
The tenant called me on Saturday telling me that he saw two boys from another unit stuffing around with his car. From his place he saw them playing with the fuel cap, the wipers, and peeking into his car. He came down the stairs towards his car and the boys cleared off, so he left it. This was Friday. On Saturday he went to his car to drive off, and noticed that there are now scratches on his car that were not there before. The damage is purely deliberate as part of the damage was the word 'sex' scratched onto his door.

Im inclined to go address the parents about this, but im afraid that if they are not reasonable decent people ill loose it. I have this idea that after two sentences with the parents ill realise why the kids are brats.
However they need to know we onto them, as to hopefully avoid a second round of malicious damage.
How would you go about addressing this?
tell the tenant to open a police case for vandalism against the kids/parents. You can always withdraw a case, but you can't open one up generally after a period has lapsed. Some people know this and are all nice and pleasant until the period lapses then you are told to shove off.

Get the law involved first, and then talk to them later, better safe than sorry in situations like these.
The following 3 users Like CA_130's post:
  • GHOST E90, KPM3_30, Riaad
(15-01-2020, 01:32 PM)Ash777 Wrote: Good day fellow fanatics

In a nutshell:
The tenant called me on Saturday telling me that he saw two boys from another unit stuffing around with his car. From his place he saw them playing with the fuel cap, the wipers, and peeking into his car. He came down the stairs towards his car and the boys cleared off, so he left it. This was Friday. On Saturday he went to his car to drive off, and noticed that there are now scratches on his car that were not there before. The damage is purely deliberate as part of the damage was the word 'sex' scratched onto his door.

Im inclined to go address the parents about this, but im afraid that if they are not reasonable decent people ill loose it. I have this idea that after two sentences with the parents ill realise why the kids are brats.
However they need to know we onto them, as to hopefully avoid a second round of malicious damage.

Approach the Body corp, let them address the situation.
Melbourne Red X3 ///M Sport

[Image: sig%20pic_623252484.jpg]
I dont see how this is your problem. However if you want to assist the tenant i would advise him to open a case at the police at the very least. He is the victim, and the witness.
Current:
M135i F20 Estoril Blue 6MT - Weekend Warrior
Opel Corsa Utility 1.4 Sport - Daily

SO:
320d F30 MSport Alpine White 8sp A/T
Gone but not forgotten:
Peugeot 207 HDi 1.6 HDi
Honda Civic Type R FN2 NHB

My Build Thread: M135i
The following 1 user Likes M135i's post:
  • r0ckf1re
(15-01-2020, 01:32 PM)Ash777 Wrote: Good day fellow fanatics

In a nutshell:

Take photos and gather evidence then send it to the body corporate. Also refer to the conduct rules, there should be something there about your complaint

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The following 1 user Likes preggyn78's post:
  • r0ckf1re
Firstly you will need proof that the kids were the ones who damaged the car... Then take the proof to the parents of said kids. If they do not agree to pay for the damage then your tenant would need to take them to court...

Legally none of this is your responsibility though but I assume you're just trying to be helpful.
Current:
Nike Air Force 1 React

Ex:
F25 X3 2.0d ,Alfa Romeo GT 3.2F20 M135iE90 M3 Dynamic LCi, '11 BMW E90 320d MSport, '09 BMW E90 320i Exclusive, '03 BMW E46 330i Individual, '02 BMW E39 525i Individual, '06 Impreza 2.0R Wagon, '03 S3 8L, '11 A3 1.6TDi, '70 VW Beetle 1600 Twin Port '00 A4 2.4 V6, '09 Ibiza Cupra 1.8T, 2013 Vivo Gran Turismo, E36 M3 Coupe, E46 320i Individual MSport, '98 Civic V Tec, E36 318is Msport, E30 318i Coupe,GOLF MK1 GT
(15-01-2020, 02:22 PM)Kyle Wrote: Firstly you will need proof that the kids were the ones who damaged the car... Then take the proof to the parents of said kids. If they do not agree to pay for the damage then your tenant would need to take them to court...

Legally none of this is your responsibility though but I assume you're just trying to be helpful.

Or just get in touch with the insurance company.
Melbourne Red X3 ///M Sport

[Image: sig%20pic_623252484.jpg]
Or just install a camera with a red light, connected or not...
I will be on the other side if anybody needs me Bluebiggrin
As the owner of the flat,
You are not responsible for the damages to your tenants property outside of the home.
With that being said, to be a good landlord, I would first go to the chairman of the body corporate with said evidence.
Try to gather more proof by reviewing footage if there are cameras in place.
See what the BC can do, if you are not satisfied go the saps route.
Maybe install a camera to view the tenants vehicle, go 50% with the tenant. I'm sure this would help for piece of mind and future incidents.
Try as far as possible not to deal with the parents.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
stay out of it - not your problem
#NoLivesMatter
Thanks for the advice gents!
I am getting involved to be helpful, as I'm the only contact my tenant knows of, and he comes across as a very reasonable guy.
Also as a landlord I don't like learning that the parking I provide is compromised, and I want to keep a good relationship with my tenant.
I am awaiting the contact details of the parents (Agents first ask permission to disclose information)
I will then arrange a meeting with all involved and a trustee, that I hope will end amicably and be the end of it.
If the discussion ends unsatisfactory, I will advise my tenant to make a case and look at the insurance route.
The following 3 users Like Ash777's post:
  • KPM3_30, Kyle, MikeR
(15-01-2020, 03:04 PM)Ash777 Wrote: Thanks for the advice gents!
I am getting involved to be helpful, as I'm the only contact my tenant knows of, and he comes across as a very reasonable guy.
Also as a landlord I don't like learning that the parking I provide is compromised, and I want to keep a good relationship with my tenant.
I am awaiting the contact details of the parents (Agents first ask permission to disclose information)
I will then arrange a meeting with all involved and a trustee, that I hope will end amicably and be the end of it.
If the discussion ends unsatisfactory, I will advise my tenant to make a case and look at the insurance route.

Good on you bud.
Current:
Nike Air Force 1 React

Ex:
F25 X3 2.0d ,Alfa Romeo GT 3.2F20 M135iE90 M3 Dynamic LCi, '11 BMW E90 320d MSport, '09 BMW E90 320i Exclusive, '03 BMW E46 330i Individual, '02 BMW E39 525i Individual, '06 Impreza 2.0R Wagon, '03 S3 8L, '11 A3 1.6TDi, '70 VW Beetle 1600 Twin Port '00 A4 2.4 V6, '09 Ibiza Cupra 1.8T, 2013 Vivo Gran Turismo, E36 M3 Coupe, E46 320i Individual MSport, '98 Civic V Tec, E36 318is Msport, E30 318i Coupe,GOLF MK1 GT
Beat them.
[Image: sig_151132616.jpg]
The following 4 users Like Nick's post:
  • ChefDJ, GHOST E90, M135i, NtandoN
(15-01-2020, 03:06 PM)Nick Wrote: Beat them.

Lol, this was my first thought.
The following 2 users Like Ash777's post:
  • kickasskeegan, M135i
(15-01-2020, 03:04 PM)Ash777 Wrote: Thanks for the advice gents!

It’s good you not leaving the tenant on their own. Support them line a good landlord but know where to draw the line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(15-01-2020, 03:06 PM)Nick Wrote: Beat them.
I would have left Bear traps all over.
The following 1 user Likes MikeR's post:
  • Nick
mess with my hard earned things, it starts raining PK's, the end.
[Image: sig_151132616.jpg]
I had the same issue in my complex found some nice long scratches across the car made by those plastic push bikes.. i did not see it happen. Now when i hear kids riding those bikes i go and see where they are riding and if they are being supervised by parents. I found kids riding around my car and and just told them stop riding by my car pls go ride by your mum or dads car. And call your parents. After this they haven't riden near my car but im sure they will be back. If they keep doing it i will take it up with the parents and body corp.
Current: 2008 E92 335i
Sold: 2004 BMW 325ci