Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
N55 drove with torn sump
03-12-2019, 12:55 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-12-2019, 12:56 PM by //M SPORT.)
N55 drove with torn sump
Hi folks,

My wife was driving our 335i (N55) home on the N12 highway when she hit a rock. No sure if that was some hijack tactic but she carried on home without stopping (roughly 10kms). When I got home minutes later I saw a puddle of oil under the car and it was still pouring.

My wife says the engine felt fine and made no noise or smoke, so I'm hoping that there's no damage, but I'm confused as to why the oil did not leak straight away. There is no oil trial behind the car and it seems to have lost most oil in my driveway. I'm not starting her (obviously) but can't move her either.

The insurance wants me to take it to a panelbeaterHammerhead. I've explained tat this car needs to go to a BMW dealership to assess engine damage, but ........omg waiting

I know the car has a wet sump system, so how on gods green earth did this car make it home without leaking?

Also, how do I put her in the garage as she is an automatic?

'12 335i MSport "to be named!?!"
'05 XRSi "The Black Pearl"
'97 323i "The Hulk"
'99 RXi

Previous:
'03 XRSi "Kit"
'95 180i SPORT "The AFE Authority"
'94 160i RS
'99 Polo playa

Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-12-2019, 04:14 PM,
RE: N55 drove with torn sump
Is this n55 a DCT or step-auto?

If its DCT, you can pull back the gearshift surround, if you look at the top left edge, you will see a 2mm hole, you can insert a pry tool and lift the base of the gearknob cover off. You should see a red collar on the left side, that will accept either a 5mm or 6mm allen key. If you have a complete toolbox, it will be the Z shaped allen key , that you can use to engage the car into Neutral without needing any power or having to put the ignition of the car on.
The following 1 user Likes boost3d's post:
beemerman
06-12-2019, 11:05 AM,
RE: N55 drove with torn sump
@ Boosted - ThanksThumbs

So update from the insurance.

The car was towed in yesterday. I called the guy in charge and they picked up an oil leakomg waiting

I just hope they didn't start it.

'12 335i MSport "to be named!?!"
'05 XRSi "The Black Pearl"
'97 323i "The Hulk"
'99 RXi

Previous:
'03 XRSi "Kit"
'95 180i SPORT "The AFE Authority"
'94 160i RS
'99 Polo playa