Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RIM ADVICE
22-10-2019, 02:33 PM (This post was last modified: 22-10-2019 03:12 PM by EBZ911.)
sad RIM ADVICE
Hi Fanatics,

I was hoping to get some opinions, On Saturday last week while driving to work the on board computer alerted me to a low tyre pressure.

I stopped at a filling station and the guys there found that the back right tyre had lost pressure but there was no obvious nail or other sharp object found in the tyre.

I drove the car to work and my wife than took the car to Tiger wheel, the guys there said that there was a cracked rim, infact they had found that both back rims had cracks in them, they wanted R1100 to repair each rim. Hammerhead

(MODEL 193 RIMS")

I decided to take the rims in for a second opinion, I went in to a place that does rim repairs and the staff there reported 3 cracked rims, both back and the left front, along with the right front been buckled. R1800 to repair all 4.

I am now stuck between choosing repairing the rims vs getting a "new" set.

There is a member who has the exact same rim at R6500 negotiable. (No obvious damage to the rims according to the seller)

I have discussed this with some forum members and some believe that I should not repair and rather replace and there are others that recommend repairing as the cracks are not that bad.

The owner at the repair shop said that there will always be the chance of the rims cracking again and even more so if i do hit a pothole, however he also didnt think the cracks were to bad.

I just wanted to know if anyone else has had cracks and had them repaired? Have they cracked again???

WOW! just unexpected, so R10k to get 4 new NON RFT tyres, Good Year F1 asymetrics, and R6500 for "new" rims and R1500 to transport the "new" rims to me.

dunno anymore
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-10-2019, 04:06 PM
RE: RIM ADVICE
I think looking at pics will give a better idea of what the cracks actually look like.

[Image: cracked 11_6804865908.jpg]

[Image: cracked 22_9702863515.jpg]

[Image: cracked 33_9049566258.jpg]
22-10-2019, 04:23 PM
I would get another set of rims. Nice chance to chance the look of the car as well.
22-10-2019, 07:32 PM
those rims should be easily repairable, I have seen lots worse.

the problems I have seen and read about are:
1) Certain BMW style rims were known to be more susceptible to cracking than others (not sure which ones)
2) Some "lesser spoked" styles (5 spoke etc) actually cause an increased loading on the circumference of the rim when taken in comparison to multi-spoke designs, with BBS styles usually having the lowest "localized" and greatest even distribution of weight.
3) Some "light weight" rim design is just not the right option on a heavy car
4) Putting "lessor spoked" style rims on a heavy car (7 series or X5 for example) is tempting fate as far as the ability for the rim to carry and evenly distribute the heavier weight from the hub thru the spokes onto the rim circumference, without cracking.

so irrespective of the PCD/OFFSET and how they "look", some styles are just not the right thing to do, without tempting fate of cracking.

I am no expert in which wheels would "SAFELY" be considered the correct one to fit, taking into account weight distrubution.

I just did some light "googling" and reading, during my time as owner of Speedway, to try to better understand the "industry"....but that was now 3 years ago.

/o(O)(O) \ (lllllllll)(lllllllll) / (O)(O)o\

https://www.facebook.com/ralf.t.schulz
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
The following 3 users Like Ralf*'s post:
AceRally, EBZ911, MR_Y
22-10-2019, 07:37 PM (This post was last modified: 22-10-2019 07:39 PM by EBZ911.)
Hey @Ralf,

Thank you for taking the time to respond, I really appreciate it.

I do appreciate that they can be repaired, but my concern is will they crack again,isit just a matter of time? are they safe to drive on at high speeds?

I am just awaiting pics from another member for the same style rim with no damage at all.

Im really thinking about getting those rims and puting on NON RFTs...but Im still weighing up my options at this point
22-10-2019, 08:46 PM
It will always be at the back of my mind that I have 2/3 repaired rims when thinking about doing high speeds.

I will replace the rims and feel safer on the road.

[Image: 35648963465_f521fbcc43_m.jpg] [Image: 28517229547_068d127bb7_m.jpg]
'95 - E36 M3 Coupe (Daytona Violet)
'96 - E36 328i Convertible (Alpine White lll)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's your road. Many people in your life will walk it with you, but nobody can walk it for you.
22-10-2019, 09:45 PM
Nothing wrong with repairs as long as they are done properly.
22-10-2019, 10:14 PM
Quote:Posted by Danny@DSCmotorsport - Today 09:45 PM
Nothing wrong with repairs as long as they are done properly.

Agreed

I have seen rims that were way worse than these

The re-occurance of cracking would only happen if:
1) The repair is "shoddy"
2) The style of wheel, vs the weight of the car onto which it is fitted is unsuitable, causing increased loads being forced to bear, being focussed onto the repaired area, instead of evenly distributed.
3) unforseen hard impacts

You say that you are going to change to Non RFT's, the softer sidewalls of a normal tyre should absorb impacts better, provided that you fit a tyre that has a "sidewall"....fitting a low profile tyre, means less sidewall to absorb impact forces, and thus the rim will end up taking a greater portion of the impact, and in this case a poorly repaired crack repair, might cause failure again.

/o(O)(O) \ (lllllllll)(lllllllll) / (O)(O)o\

https://www.facebook.com/ralf.t.schulz
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-10-2019, 06:50 AM
Those are relatively small cracks. I don't know how on earth you managed to crack 193s though Hammerhead

They will be fine if they are repaired at a reputable place. People, usually, have issues with repaired rims when the workmanship was bad.

Get them to rebuild the whole outer and inner lip to be safe and weigh all the wheels without balancing weights to make sure that they're all even.

I have seen wheels completely crack in half, or into two pieces, and they came out fine after repairs.

I rebuilt the lip on the 313s, when I had the older car, and they came out just fine. Had no issues, and sold the car about 40-45k km later, still without any issues with the wheels after the repairs Thumbs

Current: F10 520D M Sport
Current: Audi A4 B8.5 1.8T
Ex: E92 325i M LCI
Ex: E90 323i Exclusive LCI
Ex: E90 320i Individual LCI
[Image: untitled_2669864230.jpg]
23-10-2019, 07:50 AM
I also have not seen the 193's crack that easily. Another thing to consider is the roads being driven on and driving style. Do other people drive your car? My wife has managed to crack one rim, scuff a few and get a few bubbles on tyres. My car has 35 profile tyres and had no issues in over 60k driving.

No, no, he didn’t slam you, he didn’t bump you, he didn’t nudge you… he *rubbed* you. And rubbin, son, is racin’. – Harry Hogge, Days of Thunder

Current Rides
2007 530d MSport (DP, 76mm exhaust, RK Motion tune, OEM M6 wheels)
2012 X1 2.0D MSport
1996 200 Si Camry
[Image: photo from sashchern_5592516823.jpg]
23-10-2019, 07:54 AM
RIM ADVICE
Style 193 and 194 are really strong rims, would be a different story if you had style 225

[Image: traction-control-malfunction-automobile-...tive-5.png]
23-10-2019, 08:33 AM (This post was last modified: 23-10-2019 08:37 AM by EBZ911.)

(23-10-2019 07:50 AM)sash Wrote:  I also have not seen the 193's crack that easily. Another thing to consider is the roads being driven on and driving style. Do other people drive your car? My wife has managed to crack one rim, scuff a few and get a few bubbles on tyres. My car has 35 profile tyres and had no issues in over 60k driving.

Hi, Thanks for your response, I only own the car for 3 weeks now, and no one else drives the car, The area we live in has really good roads, with no potholes...The owner at the rim repair place also confirms that these are "old" cracks, not caused by any recent impact...
23-10-2019, 08:45 AM
Get the rim repaired. A reputable place can do the job without issues.

I've had plenty rims repaired with no issues as it was done properly.

Current:
'10 SG E90 320d Msport - RK Tuned
'18 Ranger Wildtrak
23-10-2019, 08:55 AM
(23-10-2019 06:50 AM)SubLoaded Wrote:  Those are relatively small cracks. I don't know how on earth you managed to crack 193s though Hammerhead

They will be fine if they are repaired at a reputable place. People, usually, have issues with repaired rims when the workmanship was bad.

Get them to rebuild the whole outer and inner lip to be safe and weigh all the wheels without balancing weights to make sure that they're all even.

I have seen wheels completely crack in half, or into two pieces, and they came out fine after repairs.

I rebuilt the lip on the 313s, when I had the older car, and they came out just fine. Had no issues, and sold the car about 40-45k km later, still without any issues with the wheels after the repairs Thumbs

Hi Bud,

Thanks for you response, I just replied to @Sash, As I said I dont think I could have caused this damage.

The car underwent a DEKRA inspection, and they did find a Bubble on the back left tyre, From what I have been reading, the side wall is reinforced, if that is the case than if the DEKRA guys picked up the bubble shouldnt this have alerted them to check out the rims??? Also when I got the car I noticed a steering wheel shudder, spoke to @Riaad and @Schalk both said balancing, confirmed by Tiger wheel and tyre, So how did this car pass the DEKRA inspection/Roadworthy if the tyres were not balanced???

I have just sent a email to WESBANK to ask them if I have any legal recourse...Will keep you guys updated
23-10-2019, 10:28 AM (This post was last modified: 23-10-2019 10:44 AM by EBZ911.)
To add to my frustration, A response from the bank:

Good day,

I am very sorry to hear about the issues picked up with the vehicle, unfortunately I don’t think there is any legal recourse available to you. The vehicle itself is almost a decade old, meaning that its almost guaranteed issues will be picked up as you get to know the car more thoroughly. With regards to Dekra I can’t speak to why if the rims were cracked why it was missed but the vehicle was also inspected at BMW and they didn’t pick up the cracked rims either, I have attached both signed inspections for your perusal.

Thank you.

==============================================

My response:

Thank you for your email.

My issue I am having is that if DEKRA picked up the bubble on the tyre shouldnt this have alerted them to look at the rim, I mean this was a symptom of a underlying problem which was not further investigated, I mean how can one buy a car but the wheels are not functional, this has nothing to do with the age of the car, but rather caused by damage, this is not a ageing issue. My question still remains, what was the point of the DEKRA test?

Latest response from the bank, a loosing battle I geuss...

Thank you for the email.

The point of the Dekra inspection is to mitigate the risk not remove it . We have a service level agreement with Dekra and are happy with their level of service and reputation, again please note this vehicle was check by BMW as well and they didn’t note anything either.
28-10-2019, 09:42 AM
I have had a cracked rim before on my 125i, had it repaired and cracked on he same spot again. Rather replace.

Current :

2009 BMW 125i
1994 Kadett 200iS
1974 Beetle

EX :

1995 BMW 328i
28-10-2019, 10:09 AM (This post was last modified: 28-10-2019 10:28 AM by EBZ911.)
(28-10-2019 09:42 AM)Gordvisr Wrote:  I have had a cracked rim before on my 125i, had it repaired and cracked on he same spot again. Rather replace.

Hiya,

Thank you for the reply, I have decided to repair for now, but I am on the look out for "new" rims, I have called BMW, they qouted me R27000, yes R27000, I will qualifiy for a discount, a fanatic discount, which than brings the price to R22000...Yoh!

I will start a wanted thread soon...and I have been looking on Gumtree and I have come across a few already.

If anyone knows of a good, used, style 193 please lemme know
28-10-2019, 01:38 PM
Hi Guys,

Just spoke to the guys at Mintys, So they now do have stock of the tyres I want, matching threads, back and front, 225/40R18 and 255/35R18. They are called SU4-Nfera. All 4 tyres at R4500, excl fitting. (In case any 1 else is looking)

So Im gonna order the set, just looking out for rims now...I have come across 1 guy in JHB South, R6k for the set of style 193...

User(s) browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content