Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Long Distance Driving trust issues
11-10-2019, 08:27 AM
Hi guys,

So i have this question but will give some background first.

My previous car was a Polo GTI 2007 which i had from 45k on the clocks, modded it to stage 2 ect and drove the kar for 5 years to 165k on the clocks. After replacing the clutch at a shop, we broke a small water return pipe from the heater core without noticing and on my way home the water low level light came on. The shop brought me a new part and we quickly replaced it next to the road and i was off. Now since then over the course of 2 years i had trouble with overheating and the fans not turning on ect and i developed hectic trust issues in the car especially driving long distance but mostly sitting in traffic...

Now this has nothing to do with my current M47 E87 120D. I have had this car for 2 years October this year and have not had 1 issue with her after about 25k on the clocks BUT....

I now have trust issues with any car driving long distance for some reason??

I drive my 120d from kempton to sandton daily for the past two years sitting in traffic, i have driven around 170km to destinations without issues but for some reason i still have trust issues from my previous car.

Am i just being dumb and should forget the past...wait i know the answer..lol

But here is my question?

How do you know your car is mechanically fine to drive lets say from JHB to DBN (and i know you cant expect the unexpected)?

Or how long do you drive a car before you feel it is good for long distance driving?

Hope this isnt stupid, but maybe you guys can help me get over this fear i developed.

Have a lekke friday!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2019, 08:32 AM
RE: Long Distance Driving trust issues
Ha ha i had the same paranoid feeling when i bought my daily. It is a corsa utility and had 116 000km. Anyway had to do a 400km trip to newcastle and was weighing up taking the BM or the Corsa which i had had for about 1 year by then. Ended up taking the Corsa with a set of tools to test it out. It drove beautifully and has never given me a days issue.

I say to get over your fear, take a set of tools and go for it.

Current:
M135i F20 Estoril Blue 6MT - Weekend Warrior
Opel Corsa Utility 1.4 Sport - Daily

SO:
320d F30 MSport Alpine White 8sp A/T
Gone but not forgotten:
Peugeot 207 HDi 1.6 HDi
Honda Civic Type R FN2 NHB

My Build Thread: M135i
The following 2 users Like M135i's post:
beemerman, Stompie
11-10-2019, 08:37 AM
My Dad was once in a hurry. He was leaving the house for something.

So he turned to me and was like "Hey Son, You'll know your car is fine for long distances if..."

He walked out of the house to get cigarettes and I've not seen him since. I never got to learn lifes most important question Sorry

2015 BMW F30 320D - Alpine White III
[Image: unnamed6(1)_7154772114.jpg] [Image: rxnhe8u-2.jpg]
The following 4 users Like kickasskeegan's post:
///M Individual, Kyle, Nobz330i, that_guy_Ettiene
11-10-2019, 08:44 AM
Yeah im probably just being over paranoid! I mean sitting in daily traffic and driving 25km in an hour should be way harder on a car than driving 500km at 120km/h as the car is constantly getting cool air, the clutch aint being abused with pressing and depressing the whole time.
The following 1 user Likes Stompie's post:
kickasskeegan
11-10-2019, 08:49 AM
Although I’d rather not find issues with my car, if I’m say 600Kms away from home. So your paranoia is rightfully so.

The following 1 user Likes kickasskeegan's post:
Stompie
11-10-2019, 09:00 AM
That's why it's important to have access to emergency breakdown services, such as AA. You can then drive any car with peace of mind...
11-10-2019, 09:09 AM
Paranoia is not going to go away even with new or low km vehicles, Keep your servicing up to date, drive with some mechanical sympathy and get an AA membership for when things go pear shaped if it ever does...

Current: Danger Ranger
Ex E92 335i DCT

400m @ 11.516 @ 203kmh
Backed up at MSA event!
60-130mph - 8.3 seconds
Dragtimes.com

Time is the best teacher.. Unfortunately it kills all its students Bangdesk

The following 1 user Likes Kish2604's post:
Stompie
11-10-2019, 09:13 AM
Would AA be beter that the roadside assistance and breakdown that is usually included in vehicle insurance?
11-10-2019, 09:17 AM
My Ranger never gave me any trouble until we were in Moz and the clutch decided to go kaput with no warning. And there we were stuck in a part of the country where very little english is spoken and my insurance doesn't arrange towing services if you're outside the country (I have since had to review this). To cut a long story short, we were able to sort ourselves out and learned that these things do happen. Just take the necessary precautions to make sure your car is in good condition and have an emergency fund to make lemonade for when life hands you lemons.
BTW I have travelled most of RSA, Botswana and Namibia in the same bakkie with no issues. So just take the trip and enjoy it!

[Image: untitled_8179800775.jpg]
The following 2 users Like NtandoN's post:
kickasskeegan, Stompie
11-10-2019, 09:34 AM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2019 09:35 AM by evnmopwr.)
You will Never know..

A well Maintained Car can K@K on you any given time..

I use to suffer from Some hectic Anxiety episodes and i learnt, there is no point in Worrying About things you have no control over.

What helped with my anxiety on long trips, Tool box, Cable Ties, Xtra M54 Expansion tank and Xtra Belts. LMAO...

Once i Even loaded my 2ton Low trolley jack. HAHAHAHA

I still take the tool box and Expansion tank with me on long trips. LOL

Mental Issues are the Worst to Convince everything is ok.

Just try not to worry too much and enjoy your trip

Present:
2001 E46 330i Touring (Facelifted)
1975 VW passat LS coupe (Resto Project toy)

Past:
2002 BMW E46 320i
2004 VW Mk1 Golf Velocity (1.4l)
2000 Honda Ballade (150i)
1975 Audi 80 (Baby 100)
1981 VW Mk1 Golf 2door Gti (2.1l Stroker)
1980 VW Mk1 Golf 2door L (1.3l)
The following 2 users Like evnmopwr's post:
PLV, Stompie
11-10-2019, 09:37 AM
cable ties man...bottle of water...pratley steel...def a spare belt and the right little tools

current: BMW E92 M3 (bearings could be fcukd)
The following 4 users Like individj's post:
beemerman, Dirtydeedsman, evnmopwr, Stompie
11-10-2019, 09:38 AM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2019 09:53 AM by Dirtydeedsman.)
You just keep the car well serviced and maintained then hope for the best.

I do some long distance travels with the AUDI, when I just got the car I was excited and wanted to drive everywhere then with time the excitement fades but you start to trust that if it made it to Cape Town and back with no issues then it should make it to Durban or QwaQwa or Mbabane.

if sh8t happens then we fix it along the way, I always carry cash with me when I travel long distance just incase.

Another thought though unrelated,

There is a buddy of mine who is running a side company that patrols the N1 North (PTA to Musina) at night and N4 or N12 - the one to Mozambique during high seasons.

He has 5 bakkies now and he carries all sorts of things in them eg: Spare tires, Welding machine (Comes in handy when a trailer breaks or bearings seize), angle grinders, Petrol, Diesel, clutches for Quantums, and and and those things that anyone would need if you have a break down in the middle of nowhere at night and you are stranded.

Main targets are those ''malaicha'' (I don't know the English word for this) but find pic below. Because their cars are in bad shape and overloaded most times they are most likely to break along the way but they can't afford to have towing services or something like AA, that is where he comes in to fix it on the spot.

So help is always around the corner if you have some money in your pocket.

[Image: malachia_1667935187.png]

If you are interested in something, No matter what it is
Go at it full speed
Embrace it with both arms
Love it
Live it
Be it
Above all become passionate about it
The following 3 users Like Dirtydeedsman's post:
individj, Kaaba1, Stompie
11-10-2019, 09:56 AM
IMO,

Research is a key tool.
Use this forum...

If you do in depth research on the car ie. what fails at what kilos and you maintain your car accordingly with preventative maintenance (think n52 water pump, m54 cooling system etc). Based on that info and what kilos you have on your car, you can then base your confidence...

In my case, I am on thin ice with a water pump that can leave me stranded, hence no very long distances for me!

Samir, you breaking the car...
The following 1 user Likes husaindindar's post:
PLV
11-10-2019, 09:58 AM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2019 10:10 AM by Stompie.)
Thanks for all the input guys. Although i know i know a brand new car or well maintained car or even a car that has never given any issues can give you issues unexpectedly and its probably something we all have to just accept and take it as it comes.

The repair fund is a good idea and i was looking into this and also planning on some extra preventative maintenance on the belts ect in the near future.

Guess the only way you will know if a car can be trusted, is to take the open road and take it as it comes!

I read a thread long ago, think it was on this forum that guys were saying if they buy a new car, they only take it long distance after they have daily driven the car for ex amount of kilometers.

So for instance, drive the car for 2000km and if nothing breaks then theoretically it should be fine for long distance.

(11-10-2019 09:56 AM)husaindindar Wrote:  IMO,

Research is a key tool.
Use this forum...

If you do in depth research on the car ie. what fails at what kilos and you maintain your car accordingly with preventative maintenance (think n52 water pump, m54 cooling system etc). Based on that info and what kilos you have on your car, you can then base your confidence...

In my case, I am on thin ice with a water pump that can leave me stranded, hence no very long distances for me!

I have and did it before i decided to buy the 120d because coming from VW over to BMW especially a 2006 model and at that time 165k on the clocks and tbh everyone claims the M47 is bulletproof and the main things that usually fail will the the dampener pulley, possibly belts which are all maintenance items. I have blocked the EGR and have blanked the swirl flaps.

I service the bm every December with decent fully synthetic oil ect.
11-10-2019, 10:24 AM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2019 10:26 AM by Nobz330i.)
The Longest trip I ever took on the E46 was from Ormonde to Hartebeespoort, Kosmos Village about 3 weeks ago and yeah I was a bit skeptical because I’ve never driven that far with it but I made sure the oil, tires and coolant were all good before I left and did have a bit paranoia but I was like let me just go and will see what happens and all went well and even did some traveling around there and back home and nothing went wrong... I did make sure my insurance covers any road side assistance and the km’s too.

So just believe in it and hit the road.

Current:
2001 BMW E46 330i
2014 BMW F20 116i
11-10-2019, 10:32 AM
(11-10-2019 10:24 AM)Nobz330i Wrote:  The Longest trip I ever took on the E46 was from Ormonde to Hartebeespoort, Kosmos Village about 3 weeks ago and yeah I was a bit skeptical because I’ve never driven that far with it but I made sure the oil, tires and coolant were all good before I left and did have a bit paranoia but I was like let me just go and will see what happens and all went well and even did some traveling around there and back home and nothing went wrong... I did make sure my insurance covers any road side assistance and the km’s too.

So just believe in it and hit the road.

Awesome!

Yeah my last long trip in the 1er was last year october to a ATKV resort in brits from kempton which is about 160ish km and had no issues, car pulled so strong and cruises great in 6th gear and consumption is great...

So im sure if it does that with ease then im really just over paranoid.
11-10-2019, 10:43 AM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2019 10:43 AM by evnmopwr.)
@Nobz330i , i think every E46 Owner Watches the Temp gauge and OIL light like hawks when driving long distance or in traffic Fencelook

LOL...

Pre inspections are also very good at least 1 week before you trip

Present:

Past:
2002 BMW E46 320i
1975 Audi 80 (Baby 100)
The following 1 user Likes evnmopwr's post:
Nobz330i
11-10-2019, 10:53 AM
I rather go on a trip and take half a boot full of tools and not need them then get stuck and know that you could have sorted yourself out if you had the tools to do it
The following 2 users Like Danny@DSCmotorsport's post:
evnmopwr, kickasskeegan
11-10-2019, 11:13 AM
I think we should start a thread to see what We all drive around with in our boots. Fencelook

Would be interesting to see

Present:

Past:
2002 BMW E46 320i
1975 Audi 80 (Baby 100)
The following 1 user Likes evnmopwr's post:
EBZ911
11-10-2019, 11:22 AM
FencelookFencelook Ditches body bags....FencelookFencelook

Quote:I think we should start a thread to see what We all drive around with in our boots. Fencelook

Would be interesting to see

User(s) browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content