Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.75 Average
Tyre advice needed
06-10-2019, 11:38 AM (This post was last modified: 06-10-2019 12:01 PM by EBZ911.)
grin Tyre advice needed
Hi Guys

Needed sum quick advice, I need to change one tyre, there appears to be bubble on the back left tyre.

It's on a BMW 330D E90, M Sport, current tyre is a Bridgestone Potenza, RFT, 255/35R18.

My question is does one replace that tyre alone or do you replace both back tyres? The right tyre has about 60 percent thread left.

Also if I'm changing both back tyres why not just change them all while I'm at it, I ask this as I just got the car, (As in I took delivery on Thursday, 3 Oct 2019).

This brings me to the question that has already been thoroughly discussed, RFT vs NON RFT, I am leaning towards NON RFT with a Marie Biscuit spare.

Ty Thumbs

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-10-2019, 01:34 PM
Tyre advice needed
I would suggest changing them in pairs. So both back and both front.

As for the discussion with RFT and Non RFT.
I moved away from RFT on my 135. Much happier on these and just got myself a mobility kit for Incase i have a flat etc.

You can also buy a space saver spare wheel to keep in the boot for another day
The following 1 user Likes Danny@DSCmotorsport's post:
kickasskeegan
06-10-2019, 02:34 PM
RE: Tyre advice needed
1) Always change both front tyres to the same manufacturer and the same thread wear level or brand new
2) Back tyres can be different brands, but must be the same size on both sides.
3) Unequal tyre wear levels on the rear tyres will ulitmately cause increased wear pattern, and wheel alignment on different worn tyres on the rear is not advisable

/o(O)(O) \ (lllllllll)(lllllllll) / (O)(O)o\

https://www.facebook.com/ralf.t.schulz
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-10-2019, 05:11 PM
you can change one tire if you want, nothing noticeable will happen to the drive and feel of the car. I have done that many times on my 320d. Rear and front, hit Potholes and got bubble on tire, replaced only one tire that has a bubble and carried on. I did that twice on the rear and lost count of how many times on the front ones. Else you will keep changing a set of tires every time you hit potholes. If the other tire is still good, why replace it? omg waiting

Cartel
Current:
2014 F30 320d with M performance power kit : My run around
2019 G05 X5 xdrive 30d M Sport : Family wagon
2019 G20 330i M Sport : Hers
Ex:
2011 C350 CDI
06-10-2019, 09:07 PM
(06-10-2019 01:34 PM)Danny@DSCmotorsport Wrote:  I would suggest changing them in pairs. So both back and both front.

As for the discussion with RFT and Non RFT.
I moved away from RFT on my 135. Much happier on these and just got myself a mobility kit for Incase i have a flat etc.

You can also buy a space saver spare wheel to keep in the boot for another day

Thanks for the response,

What brand of tyre did you get, the Non RFT I mean?
06-10-2019, 09:14 PM (This post was last modified: 06-10-2019 09:16 PM by Danny@DSCmotorsport.)
Currently sitting on the Nexen SU4's from Minty.
All round decent tire.

My 2c opinion tho

(06-10-2019 05:11 PM)lebofa Wrote:  you can change one tire if you want, nothing noticeable will happen to the drive and feel of the car. I have done that many times on my 320d. Rear and front, hit Potholes and got bubble on tire, replaced only one tire that has a bubble and carried on. I did that twice on the rear and lost count of how many times on the front ones. Else you will keep changing a set of tires every time you hit potholes. If the other tire is still good, why replace it? omg waiting

Maybe time for some advanced pothole avoidance classes Fencelook
The following 2 users Like Danny@DSCmotorsport's post:
kickasskeegan, Kyle
06-10-2019, 09:17 PM
(06-10-2019 02:34 PM)Ralf* Wrote:  1) Always change both front tyres to the same manufacturer and the same thread wear level or brand new
2) Back tyres can be different brands, but must be the same size on both sides.
3) Unequal tyre wear levels on the rear tyres will ulitmately cause increased wear pattern, and wheel alignment on different worn tyres on the rear is not advisable

Thank you for your reply,

How does one get "the same thread wear level" ?

I was wondering about thread wear when using tyres with different wear levels...but I think you cleared that up.

I was actually thinking about changing both back tyres to the RFTs for now but than I thought why not change all four to Non RFT, they should be a whole lot cheaper, but geuss what from my limited research, the prices are not that far off for RFT vs Non RFT, same size and profile for brands like Bridgestone.

You can find cheaper Non RFTS but than they not exactly branded tyres....
06-10-2019, 10:08 PM
Quote: lebofa
you can change one tire if you want, nothing noticeable will happen to the drive and feel of the car. I have done that many times on my 320d. Rear and front, hit Potholes and got bubble on tire, replaced only one tire that has a bubble and carried on. I did that twice on the rear and lost count of how many times on the front ones. Else you will keep changing a set of tires every time you hit potholes. If the other tire is still good, why replace it?

unless you don't do any serious driving, = true
however, differing tread patterns and differing levels of tyre wear on the front L/R will show significant handling, such as : (not limited to)
1) Car drifts to one side continuously, noticable at highway driving
2) Car driffs under braking
3) Vibration whilst driving at speed, noticable at highway driving
4) continuous strain due to uneven tyres will cause over a long time damage to steering components
5) proper wheel alignment is not possible on differing front tyres

The rear is much more forgiving for differing tyres

/o(O)(O) \ (lllllllll)(lllllllll) / (O)(O)o\

https://www.facebook.com/ralf.t.schulz
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-10-2019, 11:48 PM
M sport cars have a lil less comfy ride add to that the RFT and it can be harsh on rough roads, going normal will help somewhat to the ride quality
07-10-2019, 07:55 AM
I had a thread where the general consensus was if changing to non-rft, the tyres on the same axis should be the same type i.e. both rears non-rft or vice versa Thumbs

https://www.bmwfanatics.co.za/showthread.php?tid=91352

[Image: engine_bay_1_8592559248.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes StrollingCoal's post:
EBZ911
07-10-2019, 08:10 AM
Q: Hi Guys

Needed sum quick advice, I need to change one tyre, there appears to be bubble on the back left tyre.

It's on a BMW 330D E90, M Sport, current tyre is a Bridgestone Potenza, RFT, 255/35R18.

My question is does one replace that tyre alone or do you replace both back tyres? The right tyre has about 60 percent thread left.

Also if I'm changing both back tyres why not just change them all while I'm at it, [b]I ask this as I just got the car, (As in I took delivery on Thursday, 3 Oct 2019).[/b]

A: Now take it back! most dealerships will a 7 day/1000km confidence period/return policy.

If you bought it from a person, go and check the roadworthy for comments or recommendations on the tyres or vibrations etc, and see if they will be willing to replace or contribute to the cost of new tyres (even if they just pay for the faulty one)

Also go non runflat, more tyre options, availablity, cheaper, and you can roll around with a mobility kit and puncture repair plug instead of a marie biscuit.

with a marie you'll need to roll with a jack and wheel brace too.
07-10-2019, 08:43 AM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2019 09:31 AM by EBZ911.)
If you bought it from a person, go and check the roadworthy for comments or recommendations on the tyres or vibrations etc, and see if they will be willing to replace or contribute to the cost of new tyres (even if they just pay for the faulty one)

Also go non runflat, more tyre options, availablity, cheaper, and you can roll around with a mobility kit and puncture repair plug instead of a marie biscuit.

with a marie you'll need to roll with a jack and wheel brace too.

Hiya,

Thanks for your reply

Car was bought privately, the tyre was picked up on roadworthy, the seller has agreed to contribute R1000 towards a new tyre Thumbs

Hi Guys

Just spoke to my local tyre guys, They have a brand called Yoko Lanvigator, R3200for all 4 tyres, they dont stock nexens.

yes or no?

The guy I spoke to says that these tyres have the same speed and load ratings as the nexens would....

I am willing to spend bet 6k and 8k on 4 tyres...I dont want to end up buying cheap tyres than regret it later
07-10-2019, 09:41 AM
(07-10-2019 08:43 AM)EBZ911 Wrote:  Hi Guys

Just spoke to my local tyre guys, They have a brand called Yoko Lanvigator, R3200for all 4 tyres, they dont stock nexens.

yes or no?

The guy I spoke to says that these tyres have the same speed and load ratings as the nexens would....

I am willing to spend bet 6k and 8k on 4 tyres...I dont want to end up buying cheap tyres than regret it later

Don't go for cheapy, no name tyres on your torquey 330d - You will only regret it later. Avoid Achilles tyres, they work on lesser powered vehicles but high torque/power and they don't well.

Contact any Minty's tyre store near you and have a look at the Nexen SU4 Nfera (Non-RFT), had my reservations fitting a 'cheap' tyre on my 320d and I have to say, I am impressed. Solid ratings online, been used and recommended by many forumites, rather go the tried and tested route.

All 4 tyres in the correct spec size for 18", set me back around R5k with fitting, balancing and alignment.. This fits in under your budget, use the change to pick up a mobility/spare wheel kit Thumbs

The following 3 users Like KPM_330's post:
Diesel, EBZ911, Riaad
07-10-2019, 09:45 AM
(07-10-2019 08:43 AM)EBZ911 Wrote:  Just spoke to my local tyre guys, They have a brand called Yoko Lanvigator, R3200for all 4 tyres, they dont stock nexens.
yes or no?

No

Current: F10 520D M Sport
Current: Audi A4 B8.5 1.8T
Ex: E92 325i M LCI
Ex: E90 323i Exclusive LCI
Ex: E90 320i Individual LCI
[Image: untitled_2669864230.jpg]
07-10-2019, 09:48 AM
(07-10-2019 09:41 AM)KPM_330 Wrote:  

yes or no?

Don't go for cheapy, no name tyres on your torquey 330d - You will only regret it later. Avoid Achilles tyres, they work on lesser powered vehicles but high torque/power and they don't well.

Contact any Minty's tyre store near you and have a look at the Nexen SU4 Nfera (Non-RFT), had my reservations fitting a 'cheap' tyre on my 320d and I have to say, I am impressed. Solid ratings online, been used and recommended by many forumites, rather go the tried and tested route.

All 4 tyres in the correct spec size for 18", set me back around R5k with fitting, balancing and alignment.. This fits in under your budget, use the change to pick up a mobility/spare wheel kit Thumbs

Hey dude!

Always with solid advice!

Thank you, The problem is that I live in George, there are no Mintys here...EISH

Im gonna call this oke again and ask him what name brands does he have in my price range, and will update again...
07-10-2019, 09:50 AM
Just buy it anywhere and get them to deliver it to you and you can go back to Minty's to fit the tyres?

Current: F10 520D M Sport
Current: Audi A4 B8.5 1.8T
Ex: E92 325i M LCI
Ex: E90 323i Exclusive LCI
Ex: E90 320i Individual LCI
[Image: untitled_2669864230.jpg]
07-10-2019, 09:58 AM
(07-10-2019 09:48 AM)EBZ911 Wrote:  
(07-10-2019 09:41 AM)KPM_330 Wrote:  

yes or no?

Hey dude!

Always with solid advice!

Thank you, The problem is that I live in George, there are no Mintys here...EISH

Im gonna call this oke again and ask him what name brands does he have in my price range, and will update again...

Only problem is Nexen is soley distributed by Minty's, so you would need to look at another brand if you can't find a branch near you.. Not sure if Minty's would arrange a courier for you.

Look at what options are available on http://www.errolstyres.co.za, they can have the tyres delivered to your address.. Used this option a few times Thumbs

07-10-2019, 10:16 AM
(07-10-2019 09:50 AM)SubLoaded Wrote:  Just buy it anywhere and get them to deliver it to you and you can go back to Minty's to fit the tyres?

Hi, Thanks for the advice, I dont live in JHB, I am in George, its in the Garden Route, No Mintys here...
07-10-2019, 11:40 AM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2019 11:41 AM by Yulz9081.)
Goodyear Eagle F1's AS3 All day everyday. Check your local Hi-Q but Errols Tyres or Nazkar will courier to you.

Switched from RFT to the NON-RFT versions of these and best bang for buck tyre in my opinion when it comes to handling in both wet and dry even with truckloads of torque.

Current:
'10 SG E90 320d Msport - RK Tuned
'18 Ranger Wildtrak
07-10-2019, 03:44 PM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2019 03:48 PM by lebofa.)
Quote:
lebofa
you can change one tire if you want, nothing noticeable will happen to the drive and feel of the car. I have done that many times on my 320d. Rear and front, hit Potholes and got bubble on tire, replaced only one tire that has a bubble and carried on. I did that twice on the rear and lost count of how many times on the front ones. Else you will keep changing a set of tires every time you hit potholes. If the other tire is still good, why replace it?
unless you don't do any serious driving, = true
however, differing tread patterns and differing levels of tyre wear on the front L/R will show significant handling, such as : (not limited to)
1) Car drifts to one side continuously, noticable at highway driving
2) Car driffs under braking
3) Vibration whilst driving at speed, noticable at highway driving
4) continuous strain due to uneven tyres will cause over a long time damage to steering components
5) proper wheel alignment is not possible on differing front tyres

The rear is much more forgiving for differing tyres

I can bring my car so that you can drive it on the 20th, then we can talk again about the points mentioned. OP you are welcome to test drive too and if you can feel any kind of drift or any of the things they say the car will do, while driving normally. I'm not saying you should drive it like its stolen

Cartel
Current:
2014 F30 320d with M performance power kit : My run around
2019 G05 X5 xdrive 30d M Sport : Family wagon
2019 G20 330i M Sport : Hers
Ex:
2011 C350 CDI

User(s) browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content