Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking to buy a new TV: things to consider?
14-07-2019, 07:45 AM
Hi all,

Our long-serving LG flat screen (Plasma) TV is starting to give issues which seem to point to the power supply or one or other PC board in the back.

Anyways it’s probably time to move along with the pace of technology.

I’m a bit disconnected in terms of exact tech specs and what what, but hoping you guys can share some insight.

I am looking for a good quality TV, with excellent picture quality (for DSTV signal or possibly streaming over fibre). This is why I went for the Plasma TV 11 years ago because in my opinion, the picture quality was better and more natural than LCD TVs at the time.

Also, I believe “smart” TVs are the way to go? What exactly does this mean?

If I want to stream, so I need to get separate set top boxes or such like?

Size approx. 40-50in, no bigger as our lounge is small.

Plans would also be to get a decent sound bar with a sub. (Bluetooth if possible to eliminate wiring)

Accessories to connect would be the DSTV decoder and maybe a media player or PS4 at some point in the future.

What else do I need to know / look out for?

Thanks

F25 X3 35i M-Sport (The family car)
130i M-Sport: Alpine Upgrade, BMWP Intake, BMWP Exhaust
Corsa C Ute 2l 16v Tebbo Bluebiggrin : Build Thread Here
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
The following 1 user Likes gavsadler's post:
Steph745
14-07-2019, 02:12 PM
RE: Looking to buy a new TV: things to consider?
Lots of deals at the moment as guys are flushing out 2018 and 2019 stock for the new TVs coming in. Smart means little to me to be honest as I have a media centre and android box and chrome casts... but the good ones all have it now. Some guys prefer it all in one but I've used a wireless logitech keyboard for years now without issue.

The good panels are made by LG or Samsung but there is alot of marketing and numbers that in the real world mean little... if you're gaming, input lag is important but almost all have a game mode of some sort now unless you are buying trash... Unfortunately no matter what folks may insist on, the TVs that can match a plasma's blacks in movies are expensive be they QLED or peoper OLED. It is the reason I only replaced my relatively high end plasma last week (I have various other TVs as well).

Shopping in a store is of limited value because of lighting and settings, but do go check them out and play with the menus (even the cheap ones who have good panels may have horrific leggy response or crap menus). I dont like the soap opera effect but play with these settings as well. Load a 4k clip or two onto a drive and take it with you... stores often sell these TVs whilst showing a very very low res DSTV image or incredibly slow moving scenes. This isnt what you would watch in the real world

Panel type itself depends on how you view. Samsung's have VA panels which are better at blacks... but when you view at an angle it gets worse... and I watch alot from my dining table whilst working. LG panels are IPS which are great at colour reproduction and have wide viewing angles but not so much with the blacks... however with the newest TVs you will notice it most in a dark room.

The contrast ratio number is one they all lie about so rather go and look at it in store. Will try to find a link to a setup mkv file I used before... either way it will help you setup your screen.

On content A PS4 will not play UHD bluray despite having a bluray drive
An Xbox One X will (and I think so will an S with the latest software) but is not as great at processing and up scaling as a dedicated player... however if you're not getting a top top screen I dunno if you would notice a difference. What is one to do? Well make sure you have the R169/month netflix option and bump your fibre line to 25mbps... it still wont quite be like a 4K BluRay but without content why bother.

Android boxes are a bit hit and miss on the 4k side. Will play with my new one and report back. I am still a believer in a silent media centre PC.

I am busy replacing my receiver with power amps and a somewhat different setup (sick of these things to he honest) and with 8k up in the air I didnt want to over invest in something I may change fairly quickly (OLED is for sure on my radar).

Good luck shopping... trust your eyes and senses and pay zero attention to sales persons Rofl Rofl

[Image: rewYTSy.png]
The following 3 users Like TurboLlew's post:
Lemonbek, PLV, r0ckf1re
14-07-2019, 05:23 PM
Don't forget your TV licence.
Unless, you buy a large monitor without any TV tuner capability...

[Image: 742476.png]
Current: 2017 320d M-Sport Sports Auto
Current (SO): 2016 Mazda CX5 2.0 Active Auto
Ex: 2013 Audi TT 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic
Ex (SO): 2014 Audi A3 1.4 TFSI SE Sedan (M)
Ex (SO): 2011 Ford Focus 1.8Si (M)
Ex: 2010 Audi A4 1.8 TFSI Ambition (M)
Ex: 2007 Volvo C30 2.0i (M)
Ex: 2005 Opel Astra Classic 1.6i Club (M)
Yesterday, 06:53 AM
Hey Gav,

Looks like I might be in a similar position. My screen is starting to show lines... so they say it could be the power supply or PC board... it's lasted quite a while, but chop put it through it's paces the last few years... lol.
It's a Samsung... and I will probably stick with Samsung going forward...

I sent you a link to OneDayOnly which seem to have some decent specials today. If one of the ones happen to be one you have your eye on - it may be worth your while...

Llew seems to have some good detailed advice... with a lot of good detailed analysis. I generally go on - Make (Samsung), Size (in my case I am keen to look at a 65" or so, slightly bigger room. But to be honest, even if I had a small room, I would go big. I like big screens! Lol), Technology (LED, but will check as pricing comes down to maybe QLED or OLED), age (I don't like going for too old a model, but generally don't take the latest model - as the pricing is crazy). And lastly, I don't know why the curved TV is still a thing. Curves belong on a woman (and in TTT's case, on guys).

Good luck man - let us know what you settled for!

Tiptoe
Yesterday, 07:25 AM
I bought a Sumsang 55 inch 4k curved smart TV last year for R8999 was a great deal at Makro. Awesome TV with all the apps you need

Also check House of Demo for some deals

AKASH
Masstronix E90 335i AT Sportpack (JB4, DP, DCI. Race flash 275wkw @652NM at KAR)
E90 323i Sportpack
Yesterday, 09:22 AM
If you are into Movies and you can, go bigger,

I have a 55 inch in a 4 x 6 room and still think I should have gone bigger.

ito makes, I used to use Samsung, now I am using LG and could not have been happier. that IPS panel is great. OLED is the flagship, should the rands allow.....go for it!

Current:
2014 320i F30 - M-Sport (Mrs)
2012 3.0d F25 - M-Sport (Family Wagon)
2005 325ci E46 - M-Sport (Mr)
2003 330ci E46 - Weekend (Mr)

Previous BMWs:
2012 328i F30 - Powerful racy motor
2012 320i E90 - Solid built, disappointing performance
2010 3.0d E70 - Versatile car, strong diesel motor
2004 320i E46 - Built like a tank, superb motor
2003 320i E46 - Money pit, lemon of note
Yesterday, 09:44 AM
I stick with the Samsung range of tv's.. when playing movies or series through a USB hard drive or whatever i have found that the Samsung has the least amount of issues with format problems

Thinks could have changed since as its been a while since i have used a USB drive
Yesterday, 02:36 PM
As Danny and the others say, It is tough to beat the koreans on value and especially their mid range stuff is awesome for the money. Almost everything I have is Samsung except a Panasonic Viera which uses an LG IPS panel and my LG ultrawide monitor (which replaced my Samsung triple setup). They make buying JVC and other entry level or grey brands not worth the effort. For literally a couple of grand more you get a Samsung or LG (or a premium brand using one of their panels). Just careful of getting carried away and spending double the money on a 5% better screen or a feature you wont use or getting hung up on what it may or not play in future. You can always buy a new android box as formats evolve or in my case for R2.5k during an office clear out, a little i5, 8GB setup that gives you alot if options.

Yesterday, 03:00 PM
Whatever you end up getting, just make sure you turn off / disable that smooth motion crap!

[Image: m3_supercharged youtube banner 3_thin_4385692588.jpg]
CP forged pistons 87.5mm, HPF Crower titanium forged rods, ARP L19 head studs and rod bolts. Vac Motorsports oil pump internals. Vac Motorsports inconol racing valves. Vac Motorsports coated Main end and rod bearings.
Vorsteiner Custom 19” Forged Rims. Bilstein B16 PSS10 Coilovers. Turner Motorsports Camber plates. Swaybarbarian upgraded Swarbars with endlinks front and back. Stoptech ST40 big brake kit. 3.91 diff. UUC short shift kit with DSSR. Umnitza Orion Predator LED Angel eyes. GTR Hood. CSL bumper. AC Schnitzer Carbon Fibre Mirrors. AC Schnitzer Front Brace

Current: Vac Motorsports BMW e46 M3 - BEL
ex 99' Supercharged BMW e46 323i - Wolf
ex 93' BMW e36 316i - Detox
The following 1 user Likes Crash_Nemesis's post:
Rory
Yesterday, 03:24 PM
What @Crash_Nemesis mentions (sorry quoting is broken) is the soap opera effect I mentioned. Drives me nuts as well and I cant imagine anyone would like it but so many people have it enabled (and I assume have it on because of preference) Thumbdown

Yesterday, 03:34 PM
Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback so far, definitely a lot more details than I ever expected to consider lol.

I may outsource my TV purchase to one of you guys at this rate

So far it seems like it’s best to stick with LG / Samsung. And I assume OLED is better than QLED?

What’s a ballpark budget I should be looking at spending? Cheaper Brands seem to be 4-7k, and then the LG/Samsung equivalent is 8-10k?

Does the budget need to be increased?

Yesterday, 03:36 PM (This post was last modified: Yesterday 03:37 PM by Crash_Nemesis.)
As a filmmaker, it kills me to see people watching the material we work hard to produce "enhanced" by smooth motion. There is nothing enhanced about it. It looks like crap and completely destroys the look, aesthetic and feel we have worked hard to achieve.

I know it sounds petty, but you'll immediately thank me once you've learnt how to disable it and see the difference. TV makers only want you to use it because it makes their screen look sharper and thus appear better, but it is a trick that interpolates frames and blends them creating a smoother motion and sharper image. To be frank... It looks like shit.

Goodluck with your shopping.

[Image: m3_supercharged youtube banner 3_thin_4385692588.jpg]
CP forged pistons 87.5mm, HPF Crower titanium forged rods, ARP L19 head studs and rod bolts. Vac Motorsports oil pump internals. Vac Motorsports inconol racing valves. Vac Motorsports coated Main end and rod bearings.
Vorsteiner Custom 19” Forged Rims. Bilstein B16 PSS10 Coilovers. Turner Motorsports Camber plates. Swaybarbarian upgraded Swarbars with endlinks front and back. Stoptech ST40 big brake kit. 3.91 diff. UUC short shift kit with DSSR. Umnitza Orion Predator LED Angel eyes. GTR Hood. CSL bumper. AC Schnitzer Carbon Fibre Mirrors. AC Schnitzer Front Brace

Current: Vac Motorsports BMW e46 M3 - BEL
ex 99' Supercharged BMW e46 323i - Wolf
ex 93' BMW e36 316i - Detox
The following 1 user Likes Crash_Nemesis's post:
cRed001
Today, 03:36 PM
We have 4 x smart tv' Samsung, from 55 65 inch. I take it you have uncapped internet, this is a must. This way you can you-tube or stream as you wish, kids have their tv, kitchen for mommy, lounge for family/dad and one in the room. Keep an eye out at Makro, as they often have end of series specials which are reasonable. If you aren't to hassled about having the latest spec and willing to settle for a range a year old, you will get a good deal. Bought 2 x 55 inch Samsungs earlier this year on sale

John Lodder
Service Manager
Leo Haese BOSCH Hatfield
HAVAL Hatfield
GWM Hatfield
Pretoria
012 366 3000
john@leohaese.co.za
[Image: jvr_1784_preview_9049289529.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Today, 04:58 PM
Thanks for all your input, it is helping.

I did some more reading in the middle of the night, so seem a bit more in the know.

OLED seems best in terms of picture, but it's only on the bigger screen sizes (55in+) and as such is pretty expensive.

UHD and 4k essentially mean the same thing.

Some sites recommend looking for a screen refresh rate of 120Hz.

LG have QLED displays which have some or other extra layer of black dots, to help with contrast, although they say this isn't great for sport / fast moving pictures as it becomes blurry.

From a size perspective, definitely going to look for one in the 40-50in range, no bigger).

The research continues....

User(s) browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content