Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
E70 rear dvd query. .
11-07-2019, 04:12 PM
E70 rear dvd query. .
Hi guys.
Just bought myself a e70 and loving it...but have a question. .or maybe twoomg waiting
The rear dvd unit do you need the remote to switch the unit on?
It's totally dead...screen every thing .
I did some reading and one guy said that it do need the remote to switch it on initially, and from there it will operate with the onboard button's.
Just want to make certain before I go to the stealers for a new one.
Bought the vehicle from a bank repo auction so I can't ask the previous owner unfortunately.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-07-2019, 04:48 PM
RE: E70 rear dvd query. .
(11-07-2019 04:12 PM)Nella11 Wrote:  Hi guys.
Just bought myself a e70 and loving it...but have a question. .or maybe twoomg waiting
The rear dvd unit do you need the remote to switch the unit on?

You can use the remote or press any of the round volume L/R buttons.

Quote:It's totally dead...screen every thing .
I did some reading and one guy said that it do need the remote to switch it on initially, and from there it will operate with the onboard button's.
Just want to make certain before I go to the stealers for a new one.
Bought the vehicle from a bank repo auction so I can't ask the previous owner unfortunately.

Honestly that screen is just too old tech. The rear entertainment system using that screen was good back then hur who buys DVDs these days? You cant even hook up a movie to it via USB.

I suggest you buy an android tablet with an fm transmitter in it, strap it to headrests and you have something more modern for much cheaper :-)

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
The following 1 user Likes byaru1's post:
Nella11
12-07-2019, 05:01 AM
Thank you very much.
That means that this one is dead. You're suggestion on the tablet mod is brilliant. ..will look into itTy
I just hate it for the vechile to have something that doesn't work. ...
12-07-2019, 07:12 AM
(12-07-2019 05:01 AM)Nella11 Wrote:  Thank you very much.
That means that this one is dead. You're suggestion on the tablet mod is brilliant. ..will look into itTy
I just hate it for the vechile to have something that doesn't work. ...

Yes. On ours, the aux input does not work, and it does not have bluetooth audio streaming. No mechanic could find out why the aux is dead. We decided the fm transmitter option was the best way to "stream" music to the brilliant Harman Kardon system.

12-07-2019, 12:54 PM
My kids use their iPads with the headrest attachment and it works perfectly. Wasn’t worth adding screens at the back when they already had the iPads.

And got a dual usb charger that plugs into the rear cigarette lighter socket for power
15-07-2019, 12:02 PM
Yes, ipads and cellphones are the things the kids do these days. See my grandchildren (ages between 8 and 14) are continiosly on their phones or ipads when they are in the car. Btw, what engine did you get? Diesel or petrol? Mileage? Regards!
16-07-2019, 08:12 AM (This post was last modified: 16-07-2019 08:17 AM by Nella11.)
HI Solo man..
I bought myself the much hated/feared x5 50I. Cartel
And I must say...WHAT A CAR !!
It is very well specked with the full m sport package plus a lot extra
It currently on 171 000km .
Im busy repairing the accident damage it have...luckily there is absolutely no subframe or structural damage and I'm busy sourcing parts for it.
Only needs left fender...mirror and headlight plus bonnet.
Mechanical wise it's still in excellent condition. ..no smoke at idle or at full throttle. ..and absolutely no oil leaks.
Already fixed a few issues. ..for example the electronic parking brake actuator.
With our LORDS help I managed to get all the fault codes on it cleared, except for one on the transfer case that state that it needs to have new oil...that I will do in this week still then she have a clean state of health.
I bought it for an excellent price and was prepared to take the chance on it since it was sold as a non starter. ..took me all of 10min to get it started. ..and boy o boy it runs like a dream Tiptoe

Question two for you clever guys...
Why don't I have the "door/keys" setting on idrive?
I would like to turn on the visual indication when I lock/ unlock the doors...aND also set the folding mirrors. ..set the welcome lights etc
But for one or other reason there's no settings for it.
Do I need to have it coded by the agents?
16-07-2019, 08:34 AM
(16-07-2019 08:12 AM)Nella11 Wrote:  HI Solo man..
I bought myself the much hated/feared x5 50I.

The topic is about the rear dvd system but congs.

As a 3.0i owner, I think you made a good choice. The 3liter NA is quite low on power and torque and its felt when one is a little bit in a rush.

On another note this car is a very serious money pit. I wish you the best of luck. Its issue after issue. Totally regretting the purchase.

Quote:Already fixed a few issues. ..for example the electronic parking brake actuator.

When you say "fixed" do you mean you bought and replaced with a new one or you repaired what you had and it's now working?

If so how.

The following 1 user Likes byaru1's post:
Nella11
16-07-2019, 08:43 AM
There should be a setting for activating the lights on locking/unlocking. On my 2005 E60 it is on the idrive but under a different menu. On my F25 X3 it is under the lights menu iirc but i found on the E60 it was in a different place, cannot remember where but i by accident hit on it when searching how to switch it off!! OK, had a look in my car. Press down on the big round "button", go to settings (i think), then door locks, press down again, should see central locking, use controller to go to Confirmation and press down on button. Should show two options: one for visual signal for locking and one for unlocking. Click the block which one or both you want to activate. Done
The following 2 users Like Solo Man's post:
byaru1, Nella11
16-07-2019, 11:44 AM (This post was last modified: 16-07-2019 11:46 AM by Nella11.)
byaru1....I fixed it...didn't replace it. Things like the hand brake actuator, Idrive controler,coolant level sensor and handbrake switch are a few examples that I managed to repair.

SOLO MAN...this one don't have the setting for doorlocks unfortunately. ..and that I don't understand. ...
16-07-2019, 12:12 PM
(16-07-2019 11:44 AM)Nella11 Wrote:  byaru1....I fixed it...didn't replace it. Things like the hand brake actuator, Idrive controler,coolant level sensor and handbrake switch are a few examples that I managed to repair.

I'm having an error with ours. How did you fix it?

16-07-2019, 01:29 PM (This post was last modified: 16-07-2019 01:44 PM by Nella11.)
There was two problems on this ones parking brake ...
The diagnostic I pulled said that there was a problem with the switch itself and also something about terminal 15 not having power. ..or something like that
I first started checking all the fuses. ..then I pulled the switch itself. The previous owner must have spilled a whole soft drink on the switch and it didn't move freely. I stripped the switch and cleaned it with electronic contact cleaner. ..taking care not to damage anything.
There is two sets of contacts inside that was so sticky it didnt move at all and was stuck to the one side.
The electronic cleaner did it's job and after a good but careful clean the switch was operating again.
Did exactly the same with the idrive control switch while I was busy there
Then I took the actuator itself off.
Inside I found that the negative terminal was broken off from the electric motor.
I stripped the motor out...first tested the motor to see if it's still operational and then soldered a new terminal back on to the motor.
Reassembled everything and refitted the actuator.
After that I cleared all the faults on the electronic handbrakes ecu and after switching of the car and restarted it that was one problem fixed. But I must say that I'm pretty certain it would still have worked even of I haven't cleared the codes.
I checked on a few sites including ebay...that motor will probably set you back about R400 and if needed the relay inside the actuator much cheaper.
Those are the two main culprits in the actuator not working.
Also when testing the complete unit...pull the two power cables going to the motor of, and give it directly power to the motor. If you can test the amount off amp the motor pull it will also tell you if it's still in a good state or not.
Really not that difficult to repair these units.
The faulty coolant level sencor was a sticky float inside the expansion tank itself.
Had to take the tank of and after some serious cleaning I managed to dislodged the float.
16-07-2019, 01:44 PM
Sorry my advice did not work. I am also sure there must be a way to activate the lights for lock/unlock. Last resort is to ask the agents.
The following 1 user Likes Solo Man's post:
Nella11

User(s) browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content