Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Looking for an expert to help purchase E46 M3 - 1st Time buyer
07-08-2019, 12:21 AM
Looking for an expert to help purchase E46 M3 - 1st Time buyer
Hi Guys

Wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction here,

I’ve been test driving a few M3s e46 mostly, some bad, some very bad, but I’ve come across one that maybe worth the buck.

Th owner seemed to have taken care of this one, an she’s a solid drive, - way better then the other 16 I once test drove*.

2 things that stood out was this loud whining noise coming from the fuel pump it was only on start up and while idling.

second thing was on the high rpm you get this strange **Tin** noise coming from the front of the car. he said most of them sound this way while in the car but this is the first time I’ve come across this.

Now - I need someone or some place around randburg / midrand that’s reliable for me to take this car ito and have it checked up / proper inspection before I make an offer. Any recommendations on who I can contact to assist me? And what type of costs I could be looking at for a fill inspection on these models.

I really need to get the main things checked before hand —— Thank you to the buyers guide!

Additional info:

This is my first M buy,:
Other then those noises the engine has been replaced @ 75k,
Sub frame has been reinforced .
This owner had this car for 10 years,
the interior has been restored.
Service history up to date with almost all parts /invoices directly from bmw.

Running the vin tomorrow and the new engine vin to get more information.

Your help will greatly be appreciated! Tiptoe
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-08-2019, 03:33 AM
RE: Looking for an expert to help purchase E46 M3 - 1st Time buyer
Hi.

What is the price, mileage, year and is it Manual or SMG?

If u want DM some pics

I was lucky I only test drive 2 and bought the 1st one I drove! I did pay top dollar for the car, and to date have only ever serviced it.

2017 Toyota Fortuner 2.8D Auto
2017 Toyota Hilux XtraCab 2.8D Auto
2006 E46 M3
1994 E36 M3
2005 Yamaha Raptor 660
1994 E36 328i Race Car (part owner)
1994 E36 328i GTR Wide Body Race Car

Ex
2011 Toyota Prado 150 VX
2013 F30 335i M-Sport M-Performance
2011 Toyota Hilux 3.0D4D D/C
2010 VW Golf 6 GTi DSG
2007 Toyota Hilux 3.0D4D D/C (stolen)
2005 VW Golf 5 GTi (stolen)
2001 Toyota Tazz 1.6
07-08-2019, 06:38 AM
If you dont come right, I'm in randburg and can have a look at it and advise you... PM Me.
07-08-2019, 06:59 AM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2019 07:05 AM by AdiS.)
Post pics and details of the car you are considering. Maybe we can make some observations.

In terms of shops you could consider - Auto Bavaria BMW have recently become a forum sponsor and are offering quite aggressive specails. The BMW Approved Used Certificate (AUC) test is quite thorough, so that is an option.

Otherwise check out these guys: http://www.evolution2.co.za

2004 BMW 330i M-Sport 6MT
2007 BMW Z4 M Roadster
Ex. 2004 BMW M3 Coupe 6MT
07-08-2019, 08:15 AM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2019 08:17 AM by FanaticNoob.)
Hi, will dm some pics. Just added a few for now:

Seems like we no longer able to edit posts after 60min of posting.

His asking 190k , 187km , 2004, Manual
[Image: 7d59fc4a-9552-440a-bdec-48a75a924d88_8642050987.jpeg]

Hey!

Where about in randburg are you based? I stay in randburg, His in Woodmead.

Hi

Will do a full list of things that we went through currently replying from my phone, will update abit later today
07-08-2019, 08:27 AM
Is that the original colour? Never seen a white e46 m3 before.. looks good Thumbs

/o(O)(O)\(|||||)(|||||)/(O)(O)o\
07-08-2019, 08:31 AM
(07-08-2019 08:15 AM)FanaticNoob Wrote:  Where about in randburg are you based? I stay in randburg, His in Woodmead.
I'm in Sundowner, 2km's from Northgate...
07-08-2019, 09:33 AM
Apparently so, waiting for the VIN details to come back. BMW in Northcliff had me on hold for 20min. Will try again later, always an issue getting this info from them , think bmw Randburg was close to mission impossible
07-08-2019, 09:40 AM
Alpine White 300- plenty common on E46 M3's.
The following 2 users Like Rotinaj's post:
johndoe, Thami4u
07-08-2019, 09:58 AM
Really? Fencelook never seen any in person, only ever see black, silver or phoenix. I gotta attend more events then Rofl

/o(O)(O)\(|||||)(|||||)/(O)(O)o\
07-08-2019, 10:26 AM
(07-08-2019 09:33 AM)FanaticNoob Wrote:  Apparently so, waiting for the VIN details to come back. BMW in Northcliff had me on hold for 20min. Will try again later, always an issue getting this info from them , think bmw Randburg was close to mission impossible

As the prospective buyer, why are you on the phone trying to get this info?

Any forthcoming seller should give this to you, not the other way around.

330d E90 LCI DP & SW
2.0d F25 X3 - Hers

320d E90 LCI - Ex
328i E46 - Ex

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
#NoLivesMatter

07-08-2019, 10:57 AM
Owner relocated from Durban earlier this year? Personalized plates with owners nickname?
The car has been meticulously looked after as far as I know. I went to school with the guy and was seriously considering purchasing it when I heard it was for sale but opted against it as common sense prevailed and I needed an Suv for the family trips.
If memory serves correct, engine change was completed by Glazier Tech in Durban a few years ago.
I also recall it having a CSL bumper on at some point purely for aesthetics. The car was also NOT a daily drive in the early years of ownership, this may have changed now not sure.
On the mechanical side of things, I have no knowledge on how she was maintained so best to check with the owner directly and perform a thorough inspection for added peace of mind.
07-08-2019, 11:09 AM
(07-08-2019 10:57 AM)zaheer Wrote:  Owner relocated from Durban earlier this year? Personalized plates with owners nickname?
The car has been meticulously looked after as far as I know. I went to school with the guy and was seriously considering purchasing it when I heard it was for sale but opted against it as common sense prevailed and I needed an Suv for the family trips.
If memory serves correct, engine change was completed by Glazier Tech in Durban a few years ago.
I also recall it having a CSL bumper on at some point purely for aesthetics. The car was also NOT a daily drive in the early years of ownership, this may have changed now not sure.
On the mechanical side of things, I have no knowledge on how she was maintained so best to check with the owner directly and perform a thorough inspection for added peace of mind.
I think I know this guy...

Sent from my MI 8 using Tapatalk
07-08-2019, 01:13 PM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2019 01:22 PM by FanaticNoob.)
Yes, think it’s the same guy. His chilled and was very helpful. Have to do my own due diligence cause the last bmw I bought had all the paper work in order and was very neat. 2000km later everything was messing up from radiator to exhaust.

This is looks and feels brilliant, definitely worth my time to check it out properly otherwise this will be a costly mistake trying to avoid that

His giving me enough info, spent almost an hour talking, since I’m interested I want to do my own checks to make sure got bitten badly once *Lesson Learnt
07-08-2019, 02:14 PM
Mine is also white. (personally would have preferred red or blue but hey used market you buy what is decent not the nice color)

We had a forum member here that had a white one with french style yellow headlights or something.

Plenty common color.
07-08-2019, 02:28 PM
i think white with red seats and diamond cut 19's are glorious

current: BMW E92 M3 (bearings could be fcukd)
The following 2 users Like individj's post:
Dr Evil, johndoe
07-08-2019, 03:24 PM
2 out of the 3 ain't bad. But yes if there is one thing i do wish is that i had the spare 70k floating about to get the leather redone in the correct muggello red and not the blad black i have.
07-08-2019, 03:35 PM
i always thought id try to trade with someone if i was in the situation...there'll always be someone out there who doest like their red seats

current: BMW E92 M3 (bearings could be fcukd)
07-08-2019, 03:57 PM
(07-08-2019 01:13 PM)FanaticNoob Wrote:  Yes, think it’s the same guy. His chilled and was very helpful. Have to do my own due diligence cause the last bmw I bought had all the paper work in order and was very neat. 2000km later everything was messing up from radiator to exhaust.

This is looks and feels brilliant, definitely worth my time to check it out properly otherwise this will be a costly mistake trying to avoid that

His giving me enough info, spent almost an hour talking, since I’m interested I want to do my own checks to make sure got bitten badly once *Lesson Learnt
If he's that good a guy and you are seriously considering dropping cash on it, bring the car to me, we will put it on the lift and go through it front to back with both of you and tell you whats right and whats wrong with it then you can make an informed decision... no charge obviously, to help you get into your first M car... then you can still go pay for the bmw or someone else's inspection if you want to...
The following 13 users Like johndoe's post:
Dr Evil, Ebo, FanaticNoob, Ga-3M, Ike, NtandoN, PLV, Rory, Sanvir, ShaneP, telegamer, TheMo, zama
07-08-2019, 04:00 PM
Finding a M3 cabrio with a red interior is gonna be shall we say.... hard let alone up to the condition of mine. Just one of those things i made peace with.

User(s) browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content