Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SUV Hype..
30-07-2019, 01:58 PM
SUV Hype..
Hi there guys..
As you know I recently purchased Polo Gti for my wife.
It was a car that she wanted for a long time.
So, we recently found out that we have our first kid on the way woohoo.. Bluebiggrin
The polo is literally a month old doing 1300km.
I know if we sell the car for any SUV I'm gonna take a nice knock.
My question is...
To the guys and girls with kids..
Does an having an SUV for kids is really paramount or is it really a hype thing.?
My other vehicle is a 2018 Ford transit lol.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-07-2019, 02:29 PM
RE: SUV Hype..
Suv is a definate must with kids for long trips and school runs.
The following 1 user Likes BeemerFanatic's post:
MR_Y
30-07-2019, 02:36 PM
x1 Kid - Polo should be 100 % fine smile bounce
The following 1 user Likes Ebo's post:
evnmopwr
30-07-2019, 02:38 PM
Hey man,

I would say that a bigger car would always be better but you can always consider one of those roofboxes as an option.
30-07-2019, 09:29 PM
Congrats on the news.

I traded in my wife's A3 Sedan 1.4TFSI for a Mazda CX5 when we got our news.

The bottom line is that transporting a child, especially if you are a new parent, is a stressful experience.

The pram and car seat and the baby bags and the camp cot (if you staying over somewhere) do take up space. Yes, you can fit a roof rack instead of buying an SUV. But, the convenience of the SUV, as well as the perceived security for the wife when she is going through traffic and battling taxis, has to be weighed up against the knock on the Polos resale.

Given that I personally feel that Polos are riskier than your non mainstream SUVs (Kias, Mazdas, etc), I would go trade in the Polo.

Current: 2016 Volvo V60 C.C. D4 AWD Polestar
Current (SO): 2016 Mazda CX5 2.0 Active Auto
Ex: 2017 320d M-Sport Sports Auto
Ex: 2013 Audi TT 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic
Ex (SO): 2014 Audi A3 1.4 TFSI SE Sedan (M)
Ex (SO): 2011 Ford Focus 1.8Si (M)
Ex: 2010 Audi A4 1.8 TFSI Ambition (M)
Ex: 2007 Volvo C30 2.0i (M)
Ex: 2005 Opel Astra Classic 1.6i Club (M)

[Image: 944468.png]
The following 2 users Like MR_Y's post:
LOW BOOST, r0ckf1re
30-07-2019, 11:32 PM
SUV Hype..
SUVs are great.... but when you were a kid and most people on the forum were kids. There weren’t any SUVs around.

As you mentioned, you will take a knock on the GTi that is for sure, is it worth loosing 30k/40k just because the forum says you need an SUV?

The polo has four doors, a small boot (very small) but I’m sure you can work around it at least for the next two, three years. If for some reason gremlin number two comes along sooner than expected then yes you might need to really consider getting an SUV or a bigger car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The following 6 users Like J-10-M's post:
922-ZN, Dirtydeedsman, Ebo, GHOST E90, Ike, LOW BOOST
31-07-2019, 04:28 AM
(30-07-2019 11:32 PM)J-10-M Wrote:  SUVs are great.... but when you were a kid and most people on the forum were kids. There weren’t any SUVs around.

As you mentioned, you will take a knock on the GTi that is for sure, is it worth loosing 30k/40k just because the forum says you need an SUV?

The polo has four doors, a small boot (very small) but I’m sure you can work around it at least for the next two, three years. If for some reason gremlin number two comes along sooner than expected then yes you might need to really consider getting an SUV or a bigger car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree with this.

Also my wife has a picanto and we can fit the pram in that boot if the we remove the backboard. Nothing else will fit in the boot but it's perfectly fine for short trips.

Sent from my MI 8 using Tapatalk
31-07-2019, 06:22 AM
If the wife is the main driver of the child, it would be best to ask her for her view and see if she would be okay lifting up heavy items to stash in the roofbox.

Happy wife, happy life...

Current: 2016 Volvo V60 C.C. D4 AWD Polestar
Current (SO): 2016 Mazda CX5 2.0 Active Auto
Ex: 2017 320d M-Sport Sports Auto
Ex: 2013 Audi TT 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic
Ex (SO): 2014 Audi A3 1.4 TFSI SE Sedan (M)
Ex (SO): 2011 Ford Focus 1.8Si (M)
Ex: 2010 Audi A4 1.8 TFSI Ambition (M)
Ex: 2007 Volvo C30 2.0i (M)
Ex: 2005 Opel Astra Classic 1.6i Club (M)

[Image: 944468.png]
The following 1 user Likes MR_Y's post:
r0ckf1re
31-07-2019, 06:37 AM
SUV Hype..
Personally I don't think you need anything more than a Polo for 1 kid. There will be plenty of other costs coming your way so no need to lose 30k+ on a knee-jerk reaction.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
The following 1 user Likes Rory's post:
LOW BOOST
31-07-2019, 07:26 AM
Congrats with your baby.
Personally I think its all a hype thing! The bigger the car, the more shit the wife takes with. But that's how i see it.

[Image: 2yoerra.jpg]
[Image: 2hy8pjb.jpg]
The following 3 users Like Cornel's post:
///Maniac, Ebo, LOW BOOST
31-07-2019, 08:08 AM
Congrats on the upcoming arrival. I say keep the Polo. You will manage with one kid. If after the arrival of the little one you will it's too small, then maybe look at changing. I doubt you would need to though.
31-07-2019, 10:52 AM
SUV Hype..
Thanks for the advice guys.
I remember when I was growing up we took the taxi.. lol
I guess we'll keep the polo for a while.
I think if there's anything huge to move, I'll follow my wife with my transit. Bluebiggrin
We were gonna get the CX5 but didn't have any idea a kid was on the way and got the car she wanted for a long while..
But having stepped into the VW Dealership, those Tiguans with the R Kit looks beautiful.

31-07-2019, 11:23 AM
SUV Hype..
The thing with kids is that the most stuff you have to lug around is when they are small, like a nappy bag, spare clothes, pram, cot if they go for sleepovers, etc. After that phase it's basically just a school bag. Teens you might have those giant cricket bags or guitars or something then an SUV is pretty much needed. A bigger car also helps when going away for the weekend etc as you'll have at least one extra bag but when we fly we make do with a Clio/i20 for one kid, three big bags.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
31-07-2019, 01:39 PM
SUV Hype..
We were raised driving a Ford Laser hatchback. Small, slow and ugly.

You do not need a SUV. Drive the GTi, enjoy it and save money

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
The following 1 user Likes that_guy_Ettiene's post:
evnmopwr
31-07-2019, 03:22 PM
you should be able to manage with the Polo gti

BUT, will have problems with prams and Shopping bags fitting together.. LOL

Best decision i made was getting me the E46 touring.. SPACE FOR DAYS!!!

Unless you buying that Expensive, Space saving Prams, you gona have loading issues when you go shopping

Present:
2001 E46 330i Touring (Facelifted)
1975 VW passat LS coupe (Resto Project toy)

Past:
2002 BMW E46 320i
2004 VW Mk1 Golf Velocity (1.4l)
2000 Honda Ballade (150i)
1975 Audi 80 (Baby 100)
1981 VW Mk1 Golf 2door Gti (2.1l Stroker)
1980 VW Mk1 Golf 2door L (1.3l)
The following 1 user Likes evnmopwr's post:
r0ckf1re
31-07-2019, 03:32 PM
I agree with the comments above.

For 1 child, you can make do with the polo. Bigger cars are nice, but not a necessity.

We used a 3-dr A3 for 8 months, before changing to a Sportback.

Then when no2 came along, I got gatvol of bending over to load a car seat in, plus a number of other excuses and justifications to get into the X3 Hammerhead

My mate made do with a Figo and then a Merc A-Class for his first two kids, and now they have no3, and they've got a Ford B-Max.

And as others have said, the more space you have, the more crap you pack!

Prams should fit relatively ok into a medium boot. If you're planning to take the camp cot everywhere, that will change things too. Honestly we only took it once on holiday, and it stayed wrapped up.

When we went anywhere, the babies slept on a folded up duvet and a pillow or something.

Also another thing to consider (left field), most family cars have a tough life. scrapes and scratches, food all over, chips in the seats, juice spills etc. and I haven't even mentioned the dreaded bottle spillage. Sour milk / formula seeping into seats / carpets is a nightmare.

So enjoy the new car smell, look and feel while it lasts smile bounce

And congrats on the forthcoming bundle of joy, it is all worth it in the end.

F25 X3 35i M-Sport (The family car)
130i M-Sport: Alpine Upgrade, BMWP Intake, BMWP Exhaust
Corsa C Ute 2l 16v Tebbo Bluebiggrin : Build Thread Here
The following 1 user Likes gavsadler's post:
LOW BOOST
31-07-2019, 04:25 PM (This post was last modified: 31-07-2019 04:26 PM by tman.)
(31-07-2019 01:39 PM)that_guy_Ettiene Wrote:  We were raised driving a Ford Laser hatchback. Small, slow and ugly.

This ^ x 1000. SUV's didnt even exist a few years ago, and people got along just fine.

(30-07-2019 02:29 PM)BeemerFanatic Wrote:  Suv is a definate nice to have with kids for long trips and school runs.

FIFY

330d E90 LCI DP & SW
2.0d F25 X3 - Hers

320d E90 LCI - Ex
328i E46 - Ex

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
#NoLivesMatter

The following 1 user Likes tman's post:
LOW BOOST
01-08-2019, 08:09 AM
We were 3 kids and my parents mostly drove 3 series BMWs growing up and we always got along perfectly fine.

I reckon the Polo would be fine manThumbs

Current:
e90 330d M-sport Auto
Opel Corsa Utility 1.4
Suzuki Tl1000

[Image: img_1954_7594118472.jpg]

Ex:
E46 320d Auto
E46 320d Manual
Kawasaki ZXR400
01-08-2019, 02:01 PM
1st of all Congrats

Apologies for the long write up, but this worth reading. The excecutive summary though is:
In answer to your question, no you don't need a SUV, as we still use our Sedan (I know its not the same as a Polo) to go on holiday, and the SUV parks at home. You may want to get a bigger car, but first wait to see if you need it, and you feel you are inconvenienced by what you have.

In detail:

Here is my 2 cents... Like most have said. Don't go out an buy a new car now. rather wait until the little one is born. You will hopefully by then have everything bought that you need for the child, and would most likely have taken the size of the boot into consideration. Thus planning for the size rather than sizing to an unknown.

While waiting you would get more milage on the Polo and get to enjoy it for awhile longer (Not sure how along pregnant your wife is)

As for size of car etc. or if the SUV is worth it, well its all relative.. as people have mentioned, given more space, more will get packed. Also, when buying your strollers and mobile cots etc. you will buy to the size of your current cars. We faced the same dilemma before our son was born and we decided to keep the cars we had until after he was born. (He is just over 2 yrs old now)

We own the best of both worlds a SUV (Disco 4) and a Sedan (F80 M3), and we interchange the cars between us (i.e. there is no his or hers) and I can tell you that the SUV is a lot easier to use in that we can just throw the items in the boot without consideration as to packing smartly etc. The sedan takes more planing, but its not a deal breaker with regards to that the SUV is the go to vehicle.

Before we got these vehicles we had a BMW X3 D and a Mercedes CLA. They were fine for our needs, however we wanted something bigger from our SUV to be able to take the Dogs to the park without loading the Stroller on the front seat, so got the Disco.

The merc we found annoying, which is what you may face with the Polo. Even though the boot is large, the opening was small. So to get anything in or out the boot with the stroller in, was like playing Tetris. You always had to remove something to take something else out then put that back, and repeat. You may experience this with the polo in that you will constantly have to shift items around to put stuff in and out etc. However: like said earlier if you size all the stuff you buy to the cars you have this won't be a problem. We went with a Jogger style stroller which takes up alot of the space.

Below is how much you can actually get in a boot if you plan properly and pack light. (This was for a monday to friday holiday with a 1.5 year old)

Boot full to capacity
[Image: boot 1_3357931919.jpg]

Some of the contents removed to show size of stroller
[Image: boot 3_3251166632.jpg]

All the items, except the Nappy bag, beach towels and Stroller.
[Image: boot 2_8624898442.jpg]
The following 2 users Like ChrisPy's post:
Ebo, MR_Y
01-08-2019, 03:41 PM
(01-08-2019 02:01 PM)ChrisPy Wrote:  1st of all Congrats

Apologies for the long write up, but this worth reading. The excecutive summary though is:
In answer to your question, no you don't need a SUV, as we still use our Sedan (I know its not the same as a Polo) to go on holiday, and the SUV parks at home. You may want to get a bigger car, but first wait to see if you need it, and you feel you are inconvenienced by what you have.

In detail:

Here is my 2 cents... Like most have said. Don't go out an buy a new car now. rather wait until the little one is born. You will hopefully by then have everything bought that you need for the child, and would most likely have taken the size of the boot into consideration. Thus planning for the size rather than sizing to an unknown.

While waiting you would get more milage on the Polo and get to enjoy it for awhile longer (Not sure how along pregnant your wife is)

As for size of car etc. or if the SUV is worth it, well its all relative.. as people have mentioned, given more space, more will get packed. Also, when buying your strollers and mobile cots etc. you will buy to the size of your current cars. We faced the same dilemma before our son was born and we decided to keep the cars we had until after he was born. (He is just over 2 yrs old now)

We own the best of both worlds a SUV (Disco 4) and a Sedan (F80 M3), and we interchange the cars between us (i.e. there is no his or hers) and I can tell you that the SUV is a lot easier to use in that we can just throw the items in the boot without consideration as to packing smartly etc. The sedan takes more planing, but its not a deal breaker with regards to that the SUV is the go to vehicle.

Before we got these vehicles we had a BMW X3 D and a Mercedes CLA. They were fine for our needs, however we wanted something bigger from our SUV to be able to take the Dogs to the park without loading the Stroller on the front seat, so got the Disco.

The merc we found annoying, which is what you may face with the Polo. Even though the boot is large, the opening was small. So to get anything in or out the boot with the stroller in, was like playing Tetris. You always had to remove something to take something else out then put that back, and repeat. You may experience this with the polo in that you will constantly have to shift items around to put stuff in and out etc. However: like said earlier if you size all the stuff you buy to the cars you have this won't be a problem. We went with a Jogger style stroller which takes up alot of the space.

Below is how much you can actually get in a boot if you plan properly and pack light. (This was for a monday to friday holiday with a 1.5 year old)

Boot full to capacity
[Image: boot 1_3357931919.jpg]

Some of the contents removed to show size of stroller
[Image: boot 3_3251166632.jpg]

All the items, except the Nappy bag, beach towels and Stroller.
[Image: boot 2_8624898442.jpg]
Thank you for taking the time with your very well thought out response.

User(s) browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content