Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Advice buckled wheels
30-05-2019, 04:19 PM
Advice buckled wheels
Need some advice, because I am at my wits end with buckled wheels.

When driving at 120km/h exactly, I have a vibration you feel through the body, in your seat, and also steering wheel.

So you know, I go and think its the wheels. I had at one point had the 18" replicas, and they were ok, but not hub centric like the OEM wheels so they had other issues, so got rid of them.

Anyways, took the wheels to wheel collision for the buckle repairs, because apparently they are the best. Wheels look nice, but they still vibrate. I know this, because I went to Driveshaft Center, and having the car on the lift, you turn of ASC/ABS and you can take the car to show all the way 120km/h on the cluster, and then you feel the vibration even worse than on the road.

I got out, and the guy went to get it up to 120km/h so I can feel myself. When you have your hands on the shocks or lower arms, you feel heavy vibration. On the diff and further forward you only feel lightly. So it is clear to me, the vibration is coming from the wheels. I also changed tyres and had the wheels balanced, so I am sure that wont make a difference again.

What have worked, is when I take the wheels from my wifes car, put them on my car, it feels fine.

I literally want to chuck these wheels out and buy new ones, but my wallet says no. They like R4k a wheel at dealers. Also tried second hand for style 44s, and the one set I found was buckled worse than my own set.

What you guys think. Live with it (its very annoying), and try wait for a good second hand set to eventually pop up or buy new?

In garage
01 BMW E46 330i 5-speed manual
95 Nissan 1400 bakkie
03 BMW E46 318i N42 Manual Sold
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-05-2019, 04:28 PM
RE: Advice buckled wheels
4K a wheel at the dealers is actually cheap for an OEM rim. Is there no recourse with Wheel Collision Centre? Did they advise that they couldn't properly repair the rims for some reason? If it is demonstrably the rim, and you've paid good money and done trouble shooting on the repaired rims, surely they should redo them (or the ones at fault).

Rim repairs are hit and miss. I had to send my wife's wheels back (she hit a pothole that destroyed the tyre and damaged the rim). I now need to send it back again because the paint has started to change colour.

I would identify whether it is the whole set or just one or two rims. What did the guys who balanced the wheels say? If it is one or two, I would just buy two new wheels.

[Image: rewYTSy.png]
30-05-2019, 04:33 PM (This post was last modified: 30-05-2019 04:35 PM by KPM_330.)
I had the same issue with my 335i after I bought a set of 19" wheels and tyres on the forum. Vibration from 120km/h up to 160km/h, no issue at lower or higher speeds.

Turned out the tyres had flat spots on them and I could either chuck them out or live with it until I needed to change tyres.. Actually found the vibration to be a bit embarrassing Fencelook

I see that yours is not tyre related but rather the wheels themselves, is it all wheels or have you identified which one/s are causing the vibe? To spend R16k on stock OEM wheels (4) is a bit rich for me but then again, it's frustrating to wait for a set that may never come around.. Even if it does, it may be buckled again. Did you check if you can get a discount on the wheels, if you take more than one?

The style 44's aren't sought after wheels so I am sure you will find a good set cheaper than the stealers.. Happy to check around Durban for you Thumbs

30-05-2019, 05:08 PM (This post was last modified: 30-05-2019 05:11 PM by Tinuva.)
(30-05-2019 04:28 PM)TurboLlew Wrote:  Is there no recourse with Wheel Collision Centre? Did they advise that they couldn't properly repair the rims for some reason? If it is demonstrably the rim, and you've paid good money and done trouble shooting on the repaired rims, surely they should redo them (or the ones at fault).
This is something on my list to follow up on. But they haven't said they can't be repaired, just that they definitely should be repaired.

(30-05-2019 04:28 PM)TurboLlew Wrote:  Rim repairs are hit and miss.
My biggest fear.

(30-05-2019 04:28 PM)TurboLlew Wrote:  I would identify whether it is the whole set or just one or two rims. What did the guys who balanced the wheels say? If it is one or two, I would just buy two new wheels.
4 wheels. The rears were worse than the fronts.

(30-05-2019 04:33 PM)KPM_330 Wrote:  I had the same issue with my 335i after I bought a set of 19" wheels and tyres on the forum. Vibration from 120km/h up to 160km/h, no issue at lower or higher speeds.

Turned out the tyres had flat spots on them and I could either chuck them out or live with it until I needed to change tyres.. Actually found the vibration to be a bit embarrassing Fencelook

I see that yours is not tyre related but rather the wheels themselves, is it all wheels or have you identified which one/s are causing the vibe? To spend R16k on stock OEM wheels (4) is a bit rich for me but then again, it's frustrating to wait for a set that may never come around.. Even if it does, it may be buckled again. Did you check if you can get a discount on the wheels, if you take more than one?

The style 44's aren't sought after wheels so I am sure you will find a good set cheaper than the stealers.. Happy to check around Durban for you Thumbs
It definitely is embarrassing, but strangely enough when I have other people with me, some don't even notice, some do. Then like my wife didn't understand, when driving on a brand new tarred road, she was like, I thought this road would feel smooth?

But yes, R16k on really old wheels. I see more E36 M replicas posted everywhere than anything else, at least here in Cape Town.

Its mostly just the gamble, that if I get another set, it might also have issues. Already had it with the 1 set I bought.

But basically, I want the car to feel vibrationless like it should, and I know it can after testing the good set from the wife's car. Not going to take a good set off her car, as its not really fixing the issue.

In garage
95 Nissan 1400 bakkie
30-05-2019, 05:27 PM
So a few things i learnt the hard way, well my pocket learned the hard way actually, But before i get to that i want to speak about your test of the vehicle on a ramp.

Its a fair assumption that you could get the car in the air and run it to test certain items, However when the car is in the air the rear wheels are hanging by the shocks and they droop quite severely. This droop puts the prop shaft universals and more importantly the driveshafts at an angle outside of their designed operation. This change in angle causes drive line vibration in itself so it isn't an accurate method of testing.

to accurately determine if the rims are out of true you need a dial gauge with a magnetic mounting arm like THIS to measure run out of the rim. Start by un-mounting the tyres and placing the rims on a balancing machine, set the gauge to run on the outer lip and inner lips where the tyre mounts and look for deflection of the needle. Under normal circumstances it should run true or close to true.

Hope that you come right.

Current: Danger Ranger
Ex E92 335i DCT

400m @ 11.516 @ 203kmh
Backed up at MSA event!
60-130mph - 8.3 seconds
Dragtimes.com

Time is the best teacher.. Unfortunately it kills all its students Bangdesk

The following 2 users Like Kish2604's post:
Peter@AEW, Tinuva
30-05-2019, 05:35 PM
(30-05-2019 05:27 PM)Kish2604 Wrote:  So a few things i learnt the hard way, well my pocket learned the hard way actually, But before i get to that i want to speak about your test of the vehicle on a ramp.

Its a fair assumption that you could get the car in the air and run it to test certain items, However when the car is in the air the rear wheels are hanging by the shocks and they droop quite severely. This droop puts the prop shaft universals and more importantly the driveshafts at an angle outside of their designed operation. This change in angle causes drive line vibration in itself so it isn't an accurate method of testing.

to accurately determine if the rims are out of true you need a dial gauge with a magnetic mounting arm like THIS to measure run out of the rim. Start by un-mounting the tyres and placing the rims on a balancing machine, set the gauge to run on the outer lip and inner lips where the tyre mounts and look for deflection of the needle. Under normal circumstances it should run true or close to true.

Thank you for that, will check it out.
But now I am curious...what you learned the hard way.

In garage
95 Nissan 1400 bakkie
30-05-2019, 05:57 PM
I don't know whether the method you used is better than balancing. Have you tried to have the wheels balanced? You can see if the rotation is smooth or rough on the wheel balancing machine.

[Image: untitled_8179800775.jpg]
30-05-2019, 07:23 PM
Perhaps flock them with a disclosure to the buyer and get a new set, even if second hand with no buckles

Current:
2014 320i F30 - M-Sport (Mrs)
2012 3.0d F25 - M-Sport (Family Wagon)
2005 325ci E46 - M-Sport (Mr)
2003 330ci E46 - Weekend (Mr)

Previous BMWs:
2012 328i F30 - Powerful racy motor
2012 320i E90 - Solid built, disappointing performance
2010 3.0d E70 - Versatile car, strong diesel motor
2004 320i E46 - Built like a tank, superb motor
2003 320i E46 - Money pit, lemon of note
30-05-2019, 09:33 PM
(30-05-2019 05:57 PM)NtandoN Wrote:  I don't know whether the method you used is better than balancing. Have you tried to have the wheels balanced? You can see if the rotation is smooth or rough on the wheel balancing machine.

When I started,first thing I did was to balance, and this is when the guys showed me to go look at them being buckled. When rotating on the machine easy to see. Also why I got them to go to wheel collision for refurb.

The last method was because I wanted to check the prop thinking the refurb should have sorted the wheels.

In garage
95 Nissan 1400 bakkie
31-05-2019, 08:08 AM
I had a slight vibe on the style 224m, steering would vibrate from around 110-130kph ...was driving me nuts, had balancing and alignment done 2 weeks back...and she rides smooth againHammerhead

Was worried the wheels may have a slight buckle ...lucky they don't Fencelook

[Image: webp.net-compress-image (3)_4062250708.jpg]
31-05-2019, 08:39 AM
(30-05-2019 09:33 PM)Tinuva Wrote:  When I started,first thing I did was to balance, and this is when the guys showed me to go look at them being buckled. When rotating on the machine easy to see. Also why I got them to go to wheel collision for refurb.

The last method was because I wanted to check the prop thinking the refurb should have sorted the wheels.

Was Wheel collision aware of the buckle prior to repair? If you only payed for painting and not straightening then it is not their fault. If you paid for straightening you should be knocking on their door.

Did you get to see the balancing of the same wheel after repair?

No, no, he didn’t slam you, he didn’t bump you, he didn’t nudge you… he *rubbed* you. And rubbin, son, is racin’. – Harry Hogge, Days of Thunder

Current Rides
2007 530d MSport (DP, 76mm exhaust, RK Motion tune, OEM M6 wheels)
2012 X1 2.0D MSport
1996 200 Si Camry
[Image: photo from sashchern_5592516823.jpg]
31-05-2019, 09:25 AM
The Style 68s from the 330i was buckled..

I just gave up and threw them on the scrap...

but there is a Guy i know that will sell you a FULL set of style 44s for 4k.

Fully reconditioned.

Reliable guy

Let me know if you want his details
The following 1 user Likes evnmopwr's post:
Tinuva
31-05-2019, 09:34 AM
Where are you based? Take the wheels to Hi-Tech in alrode, they arent cheap but if the wheels can be repaired, they are the best to do so!
The following 1 user Likes boost3d's post:
Nick
31-05-2019, 09:54 AM
(31-05-2019 09:25 AM)evnmopwr Wrote:  The Style 68s from the 330i was buckled..

Fully reconditioned.

Reliable guy

@Tinuva, there you go... @evnmopwr, see, I knew you had contacts Fencelook Plus you both based in the Cape Thumbs

31-05-2019, 10:14 AM
(31-05-2019 09:54 AM)KPM_330 Wrote:  
(31-05-2019 09:25 AM)evnmopwr Wrote:  The Style 68s from the 330i was buckled..

Fully reconditioned.

Reliable guy

@Tinuva, there you go... @evnmopwr, see, I knew you had contacts Fencelook Plus you both based in the Cape Thumbs

LOL... Its the Indian in me.. HAHAHA

This guy i know buys and sells BMW and Mercedes rims.
He does trade ins and all so could score a refurbed, Unbuckled Set for much less than trying to Fix a buckled wheel
31-05-2019, 10:38 AM (This post was last modified: 31-05-2019 10:39 AM by Tinuva.)
(31-05-2019 08:39 AM)sash Wrote:  
(30-05-2019 09:33 PM)Tinuva Wrote:  When I started,first thing I did was to balance, and this is when the guys showed me to go look at them being buckled. When rotating on the machine easy to see. Also why I got them to go to wheel collision for refurb.

Was Wheel collision aware of the buckle prior to repair? If you only payed for painting and not straightening then it is not their fault. If you paid for straightening you should be knocking on their door.

Did you get to see the balancing of the same wheel after repair?
Yeah I was very specific I want it repaired for the buckles.

So I think best is, I need to figure out the dial gauge to 100% check the wheels and take it from there. Thank you @evnmopwr will definitely go with those wheels if mine indeed are still buckled.

In garage
95 Nissan 1400 bakkie
31-05-2019, 10:56 AM
If you put another set of wheels on the car and the vibration is gone then its def the wheels that are the problem..

Also if you paid for them to be repaired then i would just take them back to them and either they need to repair them properly or they need to refund you and you go elsewhere.

Hiteq mag repairs
Renew a mag
etc
The following 3 users Like Danny@DSCmotorsport's post:
lebofa, sash, Tinuva
31-05-2019, 04:50 PM (This post was last modified: 31-05-2019 04:51 PM by Tinuva.)
(30-05-2019 05:27 PM)Kish2604 Wrote:  So a few things i learnt the hard way, well my pocket learned the hard way actually, But before i get to that i want to speak about your test of the vehicle on a ramp.

@Kish2604 will this Dial Indicator with this Magnetic Base work ?

In garage
95 Nissan 1400 bakkie
13-06-2019, 10:06 AM
Small update.

Took the car to TWT and did 2 things:
1. Checked all 4 wheels again for balance. Rear wheels were out by 10. No idea of 10 what. Anyways they fixed it for free for me.
2. Swapped the rear wheels to front and front to back.

So now, the car feels MUCH better. In fact the rear and body now feels like it should, smooth. I still feel something on the steering wheel, and I know the brakes are still causing a shudder when braking, so another thing to the list.

Haven't done the Dial yet. For now I think its safe to say, at least 2 of the 4 wheels are good.

In garage
95 Nissan 1400 bakkie

User(s) browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content