Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
E46 320d - preventative maintenance
19-05-2019, 10:42 AM
E46 320d - preventative maintenance
Hi everyone,

Newbie to the forum here.

Bought my 320d as my first car with 177000km on it back in 2015, and honestly it hasn't really missed a beat apart from the starter dying and MAF that gave up on me. Still on the first turbo, but that's getting replaced with a brand new unit in August (it's been whining since I got it).

I've got expensive preventative maintenance work coming up on my car now that we're heading to the quarter million, so I've got a few questions to put out there:

Is there any place in CPT (preferably Northern Suburbs) where I can go to get the swirl flaps on my 320d removed and blanked off? I can't seem to find anywhere local that supplies the blanking plates. You try Google but only find .co.uk and links to 2010 Gumtree ads XD

I've heard that you can lose quite a bit of low-end torque from swirl flap removal (others say you lose nothing...), but considering the car has already been decatted and the EGR has been disabled, I'll have a nice mild remap done once the turbo has been replaced (considering it also has a fresh clutch). Not looking for 330d performance from a 320d, just a nice optimisation.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-05-2019, 10:59 AM
RE: E46 320d - preventative maintenance
I cant remember where I read it. But instead of buying the expensive blanking plates, there is another way to blank it off. Was the advice of some x-bmw mechanic from somewhere. Maybe someone else here do know what I heard. I don't have a diesel so don't keep track.

In garage
01 BMW E46 330i 5-speed manual
95 Nissan 1400 bakkie
03 BMW E46 318i N42 Manual Sold
19-05-2019, 11:15 AM
(19-05-2019 10:59 AM)Tinuva Wrote:  I cant remember where I read it. But instead of buying the expensive blanking plates, there is another way to blank it off. Was the advice of some x-bmw mechanic from somewhere. Maybe someone else here do know what I heard. I don't have a diesel so don't keep track.

Some people have recommended removing the spindles from the actuator on the swirl flap and just popping that back into the ports, but apparently there's still some risk there. I don't mind paying for the blanking plates, just would like to avoid the hassle of an import.
19-05-2019, 08:02 PM
(19-05-2019 11:15 AM)KevinS205 Wrote:  
(19-05-2019 10:59 AM)Tinuva Wrote:  I cant remember where I read it. But instead of buying the expensive blanking plates, there is another way to blank it off. Was the advice of some x-bmw mechanic from somewhere. Maybe someone else here do know what I heard. I don't have a diesel so don't keep track.

Some people have recommended removing the spindles from the actuator on the swirl flap and just popping that back into the ports, but apparently there's still some risk there. I don't mind paying for the blanking plates, just would like to avoid the hassle of an import.

I may be looking for blanking kit next week and I have also been asking around. Apparently, there is a place in Capetown but I have not found the name yet. If I do find a place I will let you know.
20-05-2019, 11:32 AM
I may be looking for blanking kit next week and I have also been asking around. Apparently, there is a place in Capetown but I have not found the name yet. If I do find a place I will let you know.
[/quote]

Shot! Let me know if you find locally - if not I'm going to be ordering from PMW in the UK - a bit more expensive. If I could find detailed technical drawings I know a guy who could possibly make the blanking plates, then it's just a matter of finding the O-rings.
22-05-2019, 05:02 PM
I have done quite a few flap deletes on my and my kids cars and have always just plugged the holes where the spindles were removed by fitting a 5mm brass taperhead screw with some vasvat grey epoxy as well as flattening the thread after fitting the nut. Tapered the existing "rubber" part that the spindle goes through so the head of the bolt is flush on the inside of the manifold. Hope my explanation makes sense!! Cost was less than R50 for screws and nuts (epoxy was in my cupboard so did not have to buy that recently) At the same time i clean out the manifold as best i can and also the egr which is usually quite clogged up. Also remove the oil seperator or loo type filter whilst the manifold is off. Removing the manifold is quite daunting the first time around. Removing only the swirl flap and popping back the shaft could work i guess but i feel the less obstruction in the airflow the better. I have never been able to determine a power loss after flap delete.
The following 1 user Likes Solo Man's post:
KevinS205
23-05-2019, 09:55 AM
are you sure about replacing the turbo?

taking of the intake manifold and doing the swirl flap delete wont be a mission at all if you d.i.y .

take solo mans advice , no loss of power at all
23-05-2019, 10:29 AM
I just imported the blanking plates for my 330d from Aliexpress and it took just about a month to get here ,but was 100% hassle free and cheap as chips. The 6 plates cost me R268 all in,which is a massive bargain.

Current:
e90 330d M-sport Auto
Opel Corsa Utility 1.4
Suzuki Tl1000

[Image: img_1954_7594118472.jpg]

Ex:
E46 320d Auto
E46 320d Manual
Kawasaki ZXR400
23-05-2019, 03:54 PM (This post was last modified: 23-05-2019 04:01 PM by KevinS205.)
(22-05-2019 05:02 PM)Solo Man Wrote:  I have done quite a few flap deletes on my and my kids cars and have always just plugged the holes where the spindles were removed by fitting a 5mm brass taperhead screw with some vasvat grey epoxy as well as flattening the thread after fitting the nut. Tapered the existing "rubber" part that the spindle goes through so the head of the bolt is flush on the inside of the manifold. Hope my explanation makes sense!! Cost was less than R50 for screws and nuts (epoxy was in my cupboard so did not have to buy that recently) At the same time i clean out the manifold as best i can and also the egr which is usually quite clogged up. Also remove the oil seperator or loo type filter whilst the manifold is off. Removing the manifold is quite daunting the first time around. Removing only the swirl flap and popping back the shaft could work i guess but i feel the less obstruction in the airflow the better. I have never been able to determine a power loss after flap delete.

Hectic - I'd like to take the spindles out too just in case they ever decide to fail. Over here everyone assures me there's no loss, but I've had a guy tell me his car wouldn't boost at all under 3000rpm after the flaps were out...he must have had other problems then.

(23-05-2019 09:55 AM)zubz.parker10 Wrote:  are you sure about replacing the turbo?

taking of the intake manifold and doing the swirl flap delete wont be a mission at all if you d.i.y .

take solo mans advice , no loss of power at all

Yeah I'm probably going to do the turbo, flaps and damper pulley in 2 weeks time. The turbo's sounded like a siren since I got the car on 177000km, on 244000km now. Hasn't exactly failed, but I'm in a position to replace instead of rebuild, so I'll probably go that route. The damper, will determine the condition but I think it may be the part the car left the assembly line with in 2003.

Hell, I found out on 180000km that the shocks the car had on were the factory fitted parts...passed roadworthy a month prior and everything. Don't know how that happens, but hey.

(23-05-2019 10:29 AM)schalk320d Wrote:  I just imported the blanking plates for my 330d from Aliexpress and it took just about a month to get here ,but was 100% hassle free and cheap as chips. The 6 plates cost me R268 all in,which is a massive bargain.

That's a good price, I think the plates from PMW would cost R600-odd shipped for 4.
12-06-2019, 11:43 AM
Sooooo...

The big day is here - damper pulley is badly cracked, so thank heaven that is being replaced.

Intercooler has a sizeable hole - replaced.

And the one bit of news I didn't want to hear - the boost pipe from the EGR to the intercooler has a hole (explains the massive boost leak)...

These are crazy money and only available from the agents. Would rather spend R9k on a new turbo than +/- R7k on a pipe Hammerhead
12-06-2019, 12:31 PM (This post was last modified: 12-06-2019 12:51 PM by evnmopwr.)
(12-06-2019 11:43 AM)KevinS205 Wrote:  Sooooo...

The big day is here - damper pulley is badly cracked, so thank heaven that is being replaced.

And the one bit of news I didn't want to hear - the boost pipe from the EGR to the intercooler has a hole (explains the massive boost leak)...

These are crazy money and only available from the agents. Would rather spend R9k on a new turbo than +/- R7k on a pipe Hammerhead

i have a boost pipe if you need.
100% condition. for peanuts

which part of your pipe is Damaged?
Also, Whats the Build date of your 320d
12-06-2019, 01:39 PM
(12-06-2019 12:31 PM)evnmopwr Wrote:  

Howzit man - it's the lower part of the pipe (there's the rubber section from the EGR to the metal section, then the rubber section again down to the intercooler). I believe the build date is 09/2003. Pic below:[Image: img-20190612-wa0000_6889503644.jpg]
12-06-2019, 03:42 PM
(12-06-2019 01:39 PM)KevinS205 Wrote:  
(12-06-2019 12:31 PM)evnmopwr Wrote:  

Howzit man - it's the lower part of the pipe (there's the rubber section from the EGR to the metal section, then the rubber section again down to the intercooler). I believe the build date is 09/2003. Pic below:[Image: img-20190612-wa0000_6889503644.jpg]

Eish bru.. That one i had from the Black 320d Donar car i had. That i sold for 1k.

I only have the pipe from the 10/2002 Build M47N
They had different intercooler/piping setup

pipe i have is like this

[Image: 24ceana.png]

I will keep an eye out for one like you have and PM u if i find sumone who has
12-06-2019, 04:24 PM
[/quote]

Eish bru.. That one i had from the Black 320d Donar car i had. That i sold for 1k.

pipe i have is like this

[/quote]

Ah that would have been perfect - my mech mentioned that the setup changed between the years.

At the moment we're working on an interim solution - cutting the pipe and using an aluminium section with hose clamps to join the two "untorn" parts, just to hold boost for the time being while I source another pipe. Will have to drive gently because the first time I ask for too much boost, that will shoot loose.
13-06-2019, 09:44 AM

pipe i have is like this

[/quote]

Ah that would have been perfect - my mech mentioned that the setup changed between the years.

At the moment we're working on an interim solution - cutting the pipe and using an aluminium section with hose clamps to join the two "untorn" parts, just to hold boost for the time being while I source another pipe. Will have to drive gently because the first time I ask for too much boost, that will shoot loose.
[/quote]

You can weld two "lips" on the connector piece so the clamps dont slide off

User(s) browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content