Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
M-adaptive suspension
16-05-2019, 06:16 PM
M-adaptive suspension
Hey all,

So been pondering what the best compromise is with regards to a comfortable, luxurious drive (standard or luxury line) or a sportier and far sexier car (m-sport).

The m-adaptive suspension, from what I understand it's meant to try offer the best of both worlds or at least a bit of a compromise.
Sporty suspension which can be comfortable to, when required.

Is this correct?

Secondly, how do you know whether it's part of the spec on an F30 320D?

Thirdly, is it possible to retrofit? I assume more than just the suspension is required as there seem to be some electronics involved?
Would trying to pull the system out of a written off vehicle (or vehicles, depending on damage) be worth while?

Basically wondering whether it's worth considering the m-adaptive suspension and if so, would one need to find a car with it or could one make a plan to add it to the one (needs to be worth while financially).

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
The following 1 user Likes PsyCLown's post:
///M Individual
17-05-2019, 07:23 AM (This post was last modified: 17-05-2019 07:40 AM by MR_Y.)
RE: M-adaptive suspension
Hi,

My feedback:

"The m-adaptive suspension, from what I understand it's meant to try offer the best of both worlds or at least a bit of a compromise.
Sporty suspension which can be comfortable to, when required.
Is this correct?"

Yes - it is the best solution, according to all the motoring press who tested the F30 in M-Sport trim. The latest being Tom Watson on CarWow in 2016, who strongly advised ticking this option.

"Secondly, how do you know whether it's part of the spec on an F30 320D?"

A quick check of the VIN with BMW would show the spec list on the car. The option code is "SA2VF".
However, I know that the vast majority of F30 320d (any 4-cylinder actually) M-Sports were pre-specced by dealers and they did not tick this Adaptive Suspension option. It cost R15,300 on the 2018 pricelist. Dealers were happier to rather spec their 4-cylinder M-Sport cars with front and rear PDC and sunroofs, instead of adaptive suspension. However, your 330d/335i/340i cars may have had this option already ticked.

"Thirdly, is it possible to retrofit? I assume more than just the suspension is required as there seem to be some electronics involved?
Would trying to pull the system out of a written off vehicle (or vehicles, depending on damage) be worth while?"

I would assume that the cost alone would be horrendous.

A cheaper alternative would be to:
- switch to 18s or 17s instead of 19s
- plonk a space saver spare wheel in the boot and switch all the tyres to non-RFT
- Get a non-M-Sport car (forgo the M sport suspension which is lowered by 10mm and stiffened).

A Sport Line (not M sport) car with 18 inch wheels, on non-RFTs, would be the ideal compromise.

[Image: 742476.png]
Current: 2017 320d M-Sport Sports Auto
Current (SO): 2016 Mazda CX5 2.0 Active Auto
Ex: 2013 Audi TT 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic
Ex (SO): 2014 Audi A3 1.4 TFSI SE Sedan (M)
Ex (SO): 2011 Ford Focus 1.8Si (M)
Ex: 2010 Audi A4 1.8 TFSI Ambition (M)
Ex: 2007 Volvo C30 2.0i (M)
Ex: 2005 Opel Astra Classic 1.6i Club (M)
The following 1 user Likes MR_Y's post:
PsyCLown
27-05-2019, 03:02 PM
Thanks Mr Y!

R15k is not terrible if it works well. I guess asking BMW to install it in the car once purchased will be a lot more than R15k though omg waiting

I really like the M-sport body kit and the sportier stance with the lowered suspension. It is not uncomfortable, but... yeah.
Maybe I am being a bit pedantic now. dunno anymore
The following 1 user Likes PsyCLown's post:
MR_Y
27-05-2019, 04:56 PM
Non RFT tyres would be your best bet.
My mate says that his non RFT 19s ride better than RFT 18s

[Image: 742476.png]
Current: 2017 320d M-Sport Sports Auto
Current (SO): 2016 Mazda CX5 2.0 Active Auto
Ex: 2013 Audi TT 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic
Ex (SO): 2014 Audi A3 1.4 TFSI SE Sedan (M)
Ex (SO): 2011 Ford Focus 1.8Si (M)
Ex: 2010 Audi A4 1.8 TFSI Ambition (M)
Ex: 2007 Volvo C30 2.0i (M)
Ex: 2005 Opel Astra Classic 1.6i Club (M)

User(s) browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content