Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Price of Service after Motorplan
17-04-2019, 09:00 AM
Hi All,

My 2014 118i A/T with only 69600km on the clock will come out of motorplan in November. I've been quoted R23k to extend the motorplan for a year but feel this is unaffordable. I'd like to know what a service would cost, just an indication, as the car is in excellent condition. If that is also unaffordable I would unfortunately need to sell the car before it has to go for a service after motorplan. I will have one last service this year before the motorplan expires.

Thanks all!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-04-2019, 09:31 AM
RE: Price of Service after Motorplan
As far as i am aware they arent that expensive to maintain after motorplan unless something goes seriously wrong.

Maybe look into aftermarket warranty for the car for the day that something does go wrong with the car.
The following 1 user Likes Danny@DSCmotorsport's post:
CK4LIFE
17-04-2019, 09:36 AM
(17-04-2019 09:31 AM)Danny@DSCmotorsport Wrote:  As far as i am aware they arent that expensive to maintain after motorplan unless something goes seriously wrong.

Maybe look into aftermarket warranty for the car for the day that something does go wrong with the car.

I agree, look into an aftermarket warranty just to have that piece of mind and it will help you sleep a bit better at night, also most aftermarket warranty companies won't force you to service your car at BMW, any RMI approved workshop will do for them.

Current: E92 335i N54 (Manual)
Daily: 9n3 Polo 1.9TDI SL

Ex:
Pre LCI E90 330D (RK Motion Tuned), 9n3 Polo 1.9TDI SL, Golf 1 Velociti (2L 8v fully worked), Corsa Utility 1.7DTI
17-04-2019, 09:46 AM
(17-04-2019 09:00 AM)WayneG Wrote:  Hi All,

My 2014 118i A/T with only 69600km on the clock will come out of motorplan in November. I've been quoted R23k to extend the motorplan for a year but feel this is unaffordable. I'd like to know what a service would cost, just an indication, as the car is in excellent condition. If that is also unaffordable I would unfortunately need to sell the car before it has to go for a service after motorplan. I will have one last service this year before the motorplan expires.

Thanks all!

Hi,

Consider taking the car to an RMI approved service centre, unless you have an extended warranty that only stipulates BMW service centres.

Also, use this as a cost guide. Note that service costs vary between dealers.
https://www.bmw.co.za/en/topics/offers-a...N0aW1hdGUv

Current: 2016 Volvo V60 C.C. D4 AWD Polestar
Current (SO): 2016 Mazda CX5 2.0 Active Auto
Ex: 2017 320d M-Sport Sports Auto
Ex: 2013 Audi TT 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic
Ex (SO): 2014 Audi A3 1.4 TFSI SE Sedan (M)
Ex (SO): 2011 Ford Focus 1.8Si (M)
Ex: 2010 Audi A4 1.8 TFSI Ambition (M)
Ex: 2007 Volvo C30 2.0i (M)
Ex: 2005 Opel Astra Classic 1.6i Club (M)

[Image: 944468.png]
17-04-2019, 09:53 AM
To the OP, my suggestion would to broaden your question. It's not about servicing costs, it's about the overall ownership and reliability that you need to ask about.

The service costs should be decent on something that newish - unless you need to replace discs or something, should be between R2k and R4k at a BMW dealer.

It's when something breaks that you need to be concerned about. Hence, the suggestions about the warranty are probably more relevant.

[Image: mo sig_2132425103.jpg]
17-04-2019, 10:29 AM
Wow guys, this is very helpful as I've never heard of an 'aftermarket warranty'. Any tips on what companies I should consider for this? Ty
17-04-2019, 10:44 AM
Id rather extend MP honestly.

I had a very bad experience with an aftermarket warranty/service plan.

Recently I have spent just under R7000 on the front suspension on my 320D and will be spending more in the next coming months.
17-04-2019, 10:54 AM
(17-04-2019 10:44 AM)Mc Member. Wrote:  Id rather extend MP honestly.

Recently I have spent just under R7000 on the front suspension on my 320D and will be spending more in the next coming months.

That still beats the R23K BMW has quoted me to extend the MP for only a year and let's be honest, with my KM I'm not sure anything too serious will go wrong with it.
17-04-2019, 10:54 AM (This post was last modified: 17-04-2019 10:57 AM by KPM_330.)
(17-04-2019 10:29 AM)WayneG Wrote:  Wow guys, this is very helpful as I've never heard of an 'aftermarket warranty'. Any tips on what companies I should consider for this? Ty

SAWarranties/Msure or SMG Innovation - Wouldn't look at any other companies.. Makes sense to add top-up cover as well, seeing as though parts are not the cheapest on newer BMW's and every bit of coverage helps.. Services are not the issue, most times you can get away with an oil service for under R1k when BMW does their specials, its when things break outright that things can get expensive.

That said, I haven't heard the best stories on reliability for the smaller 1 series engines (116i/118i) past 100k mileage, so I would be cautious out of plan.. Make sure your warranty cover is decent else I would sell and get something else.

17-04-2019, 10:58 AM
(17-04-2019 10:54 AM)KPM_330 Wrote:  
(17-04-2019 10:29 AM)WayneG Wrote:  Wow guys, this is very helpful as I've never heard of an 'aftermarket warranty'. Any tips on what companies I should consider for this? Ty

SAWarranties/Msure or SMG Innovation - Wouldn't look at any other companies.. Makes sense to add top-up cover as well, seeing as though parts are not the cheapest on newer BMW's and every bit of coverage helps.

That said, I haven't heard the best stories on reliability for the smaller 1 series engines (116i/118i) past 100k mileage, so I would be cautious out of plan.. Make sure your warranty cover is decent else I would sell and get something else.

Thanks. Problem is, not sure I'll be able to afford another BMW if I sell and my current car will still be miles better that anything else out there at the cheaper end.
17-04-2019, 11:47 AM
You could also save the money and get a good reliable mechanic to help you with services.
17-04-2019, 12:31 PM
(17-04-2019 11:47 AM)yush1 Wrote:  You could also save the money and get a good reliable mechanic to help you with services.

Mmmm "reliable mechanic" is the trick though isn't it! smile bounce
17-04-2019, 12:36 PM
(17-04-2019 10:54 AM)WayneG Wrote:  

That still beats the R23K BMW has quoted me to extend the MP for only a year and let's be honest, with my KM I'm not sure anything too serious will go wrong with it.

Well, its your decision really.

However having had to 'budget' and cut costs where necessary - horribly so at that.

Having piece of mind that there is a middle of the month option for unplanned repairs is nice.
17-04-2019, 12:40 PM
(17-04-2019 12:36 PM)Mc Member. Wrote:  

However having had to 'budget' and cut costs where necessary - horribly so at that.

Having piece of mind that there is a middle of the month option for unplanned repairs is nice.

Yeah, you do have a point there. But R23k is just not even a thought for me. Rather sell it then and buy a Kia with the trade in value! dunno anymore
17-04-2019, 12:53 PM
(17-04-2019 10:58 AM)WayneG Wrote:  

SAWarranties/Msure or SMG Innovation - Wouldn't look at any other companies.. Makes sense to add top-up cover as well, seeing as though parts are not the cheapest on newer BMW's and every bit of coverage helps.

Thanks. Problem is, not sure I'll be able to afford another BMW if I sell and my current car will still be miles better that anything else out there at the cheaper end.

I would just caution that you DON'T follow BMW's stupid service intervals (20k) and rather service the car every 10k or less, if you drive very short distances.

Look at the monthly options for warranty cover. I used to pay around R300 a month for cover and a once off top up cover fee of R3.5k. Warranty covered around R30k of the repairs (separate occurrences) over the period I had the car. Each occurrence has a specified limit so be sure to read the fine print and make sure you have the best cover available.

17-04-2019, 01:05 PM
(17-04-2019 12:53 PM)KPM_330 Wrote:  
(17-04-2019 10:58 AM)WayneG Wrote:  

I would just caution that you DON'T follow BMW's stupid service intervals (20k) and rather service the car every 10k or less, if you drive very short distances.

Look at the monthly options for warranty cover. I used to pay around R300 a month for cover and a once off top up cover fee of R3.5k. Warranty covered around R30k of the repairs (separate occurrences) over the period I had the car. Each occurrence has a specified limit so be sure to read the fine print and make sure you have the best cover available.

Thanks so much! I have a few months yet to still decide.. Thumbs
17-04-2019, 01:09 PM
(17-04-2019 09:00 AM)WayneG Wrote:  Hi All,

Thanks all!

extend the plan

current: BMW E92 M3 (bearings could be fcukd)
17-04-2019, 02:04 PM
(17-04-2019 12:40 PM)WayneG Wrote:  
(17-04-2019 12:36 PM)Mc Member. Wrote:  

Yeah, you do have a point there. But R23k is just not even a thought for me. Rather sell it then and buy a Kia with the trade in value! dunno anymore

Same boat as you. Plan expires in May. Car is on 52000km and will be at the dealers for another 4 days (12 in total) to sort out a rattle.

It’s back now for the third time since I took delivery on the 2nd of April. I’ve maybe driven it for 7 days so far.

Extended 2 year warranty is in place and I’ll enquire about the top-up cover soon.

For now the R23k to R40k is out of reach so Indy’s will get my major work, dealers the oil changes, and the in-between oil changes I’ll do myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
19-04-2019, 08:42 PM
23K might seem like a lot but it’s a lot cheaper than buying another car. Maybe try and save a bit monthly and hopefully get there before the motorplan ends. At least with the motorplan u have piece of mind that things will be sorted out if u have a problem.
If you’re considering an aftermarket plan (some insurance companies have them) just make sure you check the amounts that they cover for each part. Some of them are really not worth it.

Good luck

'06 E90 320d Thumbs
'98 Corolla 160i GLE
19-04-2019, 08:47 PM
Ended up cashing in the warranty and extending the motorplan instead.

Much better peace of mind.

User(s) browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content