Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drawbacks of removing Disa Valve flap on M54 engine
16-04-2019, 06:25 PM
Drawbacks of removing Disa Valve flap on M54 engine
Hi guys

So im working on my friends 320i as per my previous post , the disa Flap seems loose , And I have read that there is risk of it breaking off etc

Are there any drawbacks from removing this flap until a replacement can be found?

What effect does it have on the engine?

Thanks guys

Current Cars
16 BMW F30 320i B48 LCI Automatic
02 BMW E46 318i N42 LCI Automatic
93 Mercedes Benz W124 E320 4 Door LCI Automatic
88 BMW E30 320I M20 LCI Automatic

Old cars
Hmm
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-04-2019, 12:35 AM
RE: Drawbacks of removing Disa Valve flap on M54 engine
As you know, the DISA valve function is to vary the length of the intake runners to improve torque at lower RPM by adjusting airflow across some cylinders and shutting it off from others.
If rattling as you say, you're right to replace it. Don't attempt a repair.
If you run your engine without its DISA, you will mess up the air fuel mixture and your EML or check engine light will come on with codes for lean or rich fuel trim depending on how the ECU's reacted to the airflow chaos that will develop in the intake system.
I've heard people in SA saying they can remove it and seal off the port into the intake for goodFencelook
I don't know anyone who's done it but that's anecdote, which I take with some salt.
I would say that if you love your engine, don't mess with that flap cos you could end up with detonation that can ruin your engine.
But i could be wrong. omg waiting
I just wouldn't do it
The following 1 user Likes Beemerbro's post:
Kyle
17-04-2019, 07:44 AM
Rather remove the flap until you get an upgraded replacement kit from Ebay.. The car won't run 100% but it shouldn't damage anything and gives you peace of mind that nothing will break into the engine.

Current:

03' BMW 330i Sport (M) - Alpine White III
11' BMW 320d Exclusive (A) - Space Grey

Exes:
10' BMW 335i Motorsport (A) - Alpine White III
02' Audi A4 1.9TDI (M) - Crystal Blue Metallic

[Image: dsc_2696_9297329336_5231673726.jpg]
17-04-2019, 07:57 AM
(17-04-2019 07:44 AM)KPM_330 Wrote:  Rather remove the flap until you get an upgraded replacement kit from Ebay.. The car won't run 100% but it shouldn't damage anything and gives you peace of mind that nothing will break into the engine.

Hmm I am interested in this "upgraded" part. What are the benefits over oem replacement?

In garage
01 BMW E46 330i 5-speed manual
95 Nissan 1400 bakkie
03 BMW E46 318i N42 Manual Sold
The following 1 user Likes Tinuva's post:
Beemerbro
17-04-2019, 08:03 AM
(17-04-2019 07:44 AM)KPM_330 Wrote:  Rather remove the flap until you get an upgraded replacement kit from Ebay.. The car won't run 100% but it shouldn't damage anything and gives you peace of mind that nothing will break into the engine.

I've heard that being said by people but never by someone who's actually done it or has experience of an engine running without a DISA.
I' don't mean to dispute what you're saying but am merely seeking clarity on whether you know this for certain or if you are suggesting something you have heard.omg waiting
17-04-2019, 08:11 AM
Goldwagen R850, and they last. I have one in my 325i, no issues at all.

"The Future is not set, there is no fate but what we make for ourselves."
17-04-2019, 08:26 AM
When I bought my 330i, the flap was loose and basically non functional. After replacing it the car felt completely different, like night and day difference.

This is an important component and is there for a reason. I would rather get the one from GW as suggested by Cois than running without one.

[Image: G0DR3YJ.jpg]

Current:
'11 BMW E90 320d MSport
'09 BMW E90 320i Exclusive

Ex:
'03 BMW E46 330i Individual, '02 BMW E39 525i Individual, '06 Impreza 2.0R Wagon, '03 S3 8L, '11 A3 1.6TDi, '70 VW Beetle 1600 Twin Port '00 A4 2.4 V6, '09 Ibiza Cupra 1.8T, 2013 Vivo Gran Turismo, E36 M3 Coupe, E46 320i Individual MSport, '98 Civic V Tec, E36 318is Msport, E30 318i Coupe,GOLF MK1 GT
17-04-2019, 08:33 AM
...and it's easy enough to strip out and replace yourself... Thumbs

"The Future is not set, there is no fate but what we make for ourselves."
17-04-2019, 09:44 AM (This post was last modified: 17-04-2019 09:54 AM by KPM_330.)
(17-04-2019 08:03 AM)Beemerbro Wrote:  

I've heard that being said by people but never by someone who's actually done it or has experience of an engine running without a DISA.
I' don't mean to dispute what you're saying but am merely seeking clarity on whether you know this for certain or if you are suggesting something you have heard.omg waiting

My cousin's e46 320i had a damaged DISA flap (including the housing), he didn't have the funds to buy a replacement from the dealers at the time (R4k).. We opted to rather remove it entirely and then closed it up. Ran like that for 3 months until the eBay part arrived.

Fitted it and been motoring ever since.. Its obviously not ideal, but I'd rather have a lack of performance than broken platsic bits in my engine.

(17-04-2019 07:57 AM)Tinuva Wrote:  

Hmm I am interested in this "upgraded" part. What are the benefits over oem replacement?

One of the first 'mods' I did on the car back in 2014, inspected the DISA when I was cleaning the throttles and found it was a bit loose due to the pin wearing down and the flap is plastic..

Opted to buy the rebuild kit, which is a full aluminum upgrade of the flap and pin from --> https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-DISA-Valve-...SwZ8ZW5kLq

Here is why I would choose no DISA, over a failing DISA: https://www.bmwfanatics.co.za/showthread.php?tid=63375

Current:

03' BMW 330i Sport (M) - Alpine White III
11' BMW 320d Exclusive (A) - Space Grey

Exes:
10' BMW 335i Motorsport (A) - Alpine White III
02' Audi A4 1.9TDI (M) - Crystal Blue Metallic

[Image: dsc_2696_9297329336_5231673726.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes KPM_330's post:
Tinuva
17-04-2019, 10:16 AM
(17-04-2019 08:03 AM)Beemerbro Wrote:  

It can run perfectly normal without it(reduced performance obviously).

Provided the unit is still plugged in. We were in Sabie once when a fellow fanatic's 330i decided to break the Disa. The entire flap assembly inside the intake broke off, so those parts were removed from the intake. Luckily they were not ingested yet.
The unit was put back into the hole and plugged in without any of the flap parts remaining. Car drove perfectly fine from Sabie to JHB.

[Image: FordTappetcover1.jpg]
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
17-04-2019, 07:19 PM
I've heard of many horror stories of failed DISA repairs and substandard aftermarket DISA failures that it's a component not worth cutting corners on. I replaced a fully functional one on my 330ci at 200k and did not wait for a disaster. I the BMW is all I will accept.
My 325ci is now at 170k with an intact DISA I will replace soon with BMW part. If anyone wants to take a risk repairing and upgrading they're welcome to but the risk of destruction is too high a price to pay if that pin on a repair or upgrade or aftermarket one falls into your engine. Thanks for sharing your experiences. I'm more entrenched again in OEM
23-04-2019, 02:37 AM
Thanks so much guys for all the reply's ,I Really really appreciate them ! Sorry for the late reply .

Yup , what I wish to do is temporarily remove just the flap and screw at the bottom ( I think its a screw) and reinstall the Disa unit back onto the car and plug it back on . So basically preventing the flap and screw from breaking of and getting sucked into the engine , until a replacement Disa unit can be found or a new one purchased .

I'm still going to remove the unit from the car to inspect it , but I can hear it making a lot of noise so I suspect that it may have failed or close to failure . So before I go ahead and do something stupid , I just have to ask Bluebiggrin

I haven't worked on any of the mechanicals of the car as yet , Thus far Just kind of restoring / Fixing up the interior , and small bits on the exterior .
I cant do any bodywork dent repairs and painting but I can fix up all the broken bits , sagging parts and panels, reinstall panels clean the headlamps etc , Who ever did panel repair work on this car really took short cuts , Most of the plastic bits , Bumpers etc were held on using Zip ties , The holes are there , undamaged , but they opted to use Zip ties ? How cheap can some people get , I know this car very well and for sure this car when ever it was involved in any incident was repaired at BMW approved repair centers so who knows who took the shortcuts.

Current Cars
16 BMW F30 320i B48 LCI Automatic
02 BMW E46 318i N42 LCI Automatic
93 Mercedes Benz W124 E320 4 Door LCI Automatic
88 BMW E30 320I M20 LCI Automatic

Old cars
Hmm
The following 1 user Likes zippy320's post:
Beemerbro

User(s) browsing this thread: