Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Km / Milage recording on car systems
16-04-2019, 06:05 PM
Km / Milage recording on car systems
Ok , I asked this question on another thread but now I really am curious and want to know ,

When the mileage is recorded on different control units in the car , and say some of those units were replaced with units from other cars for ( whatever reason) with higher and or lower mileages .

When the Unit is then coded to your car , does the unit still retain the mileage of the original car that it had come from ? Or does it now take your cars mileage as its own? Or does it keep its original mileage as from the donor car that it was taken from?

For example , I replace the ASC unit from my car with one from a car at a Scrap yard , My car has 260k and the scrap yard car has 110 k .

Then for example I replace another component in the car (whatever the component is that records milage) , with say one from a car that has 390K

All were then programmed and coded to work on my car .

So what would one pick up on the Carly or mileage reader ? Would it say a high of 390k and a low of 110k? When in actual fact my cars mileage is 260K ?

Thanks guys .

Current Cars
16 BMW F30 320i B48 LCI Automatic
02 BMW E46 318i N42 LCI Automatic
93 Mercedes Benz W124 E320 4 Door LCI Automatic
88 BMW E30 320I M20 LCI Automatic

Old cars
Hmm
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-04-2019, 07:11 PM
RE: Km / Milage recording on car systems
The mileage (together with the VIN and the service interval data) is only recorded on the instrument cluster module and the light control module on the E46. If those don't agree, a tamper dot will appear in the cluster next to the mileage indicator.

http://www.bimmertips.com/bmw-e46-mileag...indicator/

No other module on the car records the mileage.

Nothing comes at a higher price than that which is free.

330i
16-04-2019, 09:45 PM
I think OP's question comes from this pic.

[Image: AHhTMpb.jpg]

[Image: e30_fanatic_6448088865.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes ZaynM's post:
zippy320
23-04-2019, 02:59 AM
Yup , exactly the picture , Thanks guys for all the responses , Reason I was wondering about this was from my own experience , when I had to replace the ASC module on my E46 , INPA did show a KM reading on the second hand unit that was of the same mileage as that of the donor car . When BMW coded the unit to my car , it took on my cars KM. Was wondering if I would also experience something like that should I ever scan my car .

Current Cars
16 BMW F30 320i B48 LCI Automatic
02 BMW E46 318i N42 LCI Automatic
93 Mercedes Benz W124 E320 4 Door LCI Automatic
88 BMW E30 320I M20 LCI Automatic

Old cars
Hmm

User(s) browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content