Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Headunit Upgrade (F30)
16-04-2019, 04:57 PM (This post was last modified: 16-04-2019 05:16 PM by PsyCLown.)
Headunit Upgrade (F30)
Hey all,

So looking for a bit of info, not something people look into very often I think.

With the headunits in most of the newer luxury cars (Audi, Merc, BMW etc.), certain info for the car is displayed on them - such as menus and, aircon controls, suspension controls etc.

So when it comes to possibly replacing the stock headunit with an aftermarket one, multiple things get affected. The general sound stuff is easy enough to work around (steering wheel controls, reverse camera, optical output etc.), however the info for these systems I am not entirely sure.

I have tried to do a bit of research but am hitting a but of a dead end and do not fully understand how it all works and am hoping someone here is able to assist.

It seems the BMW's make use of M.O.S.T bus for some info and some of the other cars make use of CAN Bus etc. however I am not sure what info gets sent via these "networks" and what the compatibility is like - so if I were to look at an Android headunit, or even a laptop for arguement sake, how easy it is to get the info from the car (such as the menu's, aircon info etc.).

I know there are some headunit upgrades for specific cars, such as the F30 - there is the Avin headunit although not really what I am looking for or after.

I understand why car manufacturers have done this, although for aftermarket installs this can be a mission if you wish to replace the stock headunit.

If you are happy to keep the stock headunit, then life becomes very easy. I'd prefer to use an alternative one though.

Is the screen at the top literally just that, a screen which displays video?
No other tech integrated into it - like no headunit functions?

If so, then that makes life much easier. Although would the signal be digital or analogue?

Thinking perhaps get a headunit which can do PIP or similar or a switch so I get access to that info when needed?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-04-2019, 04:52 PM
RE: Headunit Upgrade (F30)
Bump. Anyone got anything to add?

Or perhaps you can help point me in the right direction at least?
22-04-2019, 09:21 AM
Howzit.
Not sure if this is going to help you with your answers but after doing the upgrade in my e90 im much Happier with BMW audio. The aftermarket system in the f30 is unknown to me but the system linked for reference (im not advertising and please don't crap on me if you aren't happy with it) link

This seems to have the original vehicle info things you want/need and if I Know the brand there will probably be more things on there as well that you won't expect, plus Android so you can pretty much add whatever else you want. Not sure if that answers your question
22-04-2019, 09:24 AM
Headunit Upgrade (F30)
(21-04-2019 04:52 PM)PsyCLown Wrote:  Bump. Anyone got anything to add?

Not really but I have to ask, same PsyCLown from the PCFormat forums many years ago?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
22-04-2019, 10:55 AM
(22-04-2019 09:24 AM)maxxis Wrote:  

Not really but I have to ask, same PsyCLown from the PCFormat forums many years ago?

Indeed it is. Haha

I was actually wondering whether you were the same from the PCF forum when I saw you had quoted something.

You were quite into your cars from what I recall? Had a Civic Type R at some point, no?

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 Plus using Tapatalk
22-04-2019, 05:53 PM
Headunit Upgrade (F30)
(22-04-2019 10:55 AM)PsyCLown Wrote:  

Indeed it is. Haha

I was actually wondering whether you were the same from the PCF forum when I saw you had quoted something.

You were quite into your cars from what I recall? Had a Civic Type R at some point, no?

Awesome man. Been forever. Had a couple of VTECs, some turbo Koreans, classic trucks, bikes, and now the Z4.

Been a good ride so far!

22-04-2019, 06:19 PM
(22-04-2019 05:53 PM)maxxis Wrote:  
(22-04-2019 10:55 AM)PsyCLown Wrote:  

Indeed it is. Haha

Awesome man. Been forever. Had a couple of VTECs, some turbo Koreans, classic trucks, bikes, and now the Z4.

Been a good ride so far!

Yeah, it has been forever!

Awesome, sounds like quite the journey with all those cars.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk
23-04-2019, 09:53 AM (This post was last modified: 23-04-2019 10:04 AM by Randy A.)
(16-04-2019 04:57 PM)PsyCLown Wrote:  Hey all,

So looking for a bit of info, not something people look into very often I think.

With the headunits in most of the newer luxury cars (Audi, Merc, BMW etc.), certain info for the car is displayed on them - such as menus and, aircon controls, suspension controls etc.

So when it comes to possibly replacing the stock headunit with an aftermarket one, multiple things get affected. The general sound stuff is easy enough to work around (steering wheel controls, reverse camera, optical output etc.), however the info for these systems I am not entirely sure.

I have tried to do a bit of research but am hitting a but of a dead end and do not fully understand how it all works and am hoping someone here is able to assist.

It seems the BMW's make use of M.O.S.T bus for some info and some of the other cars make use of CAN Bus etc. however I am not sure what info gets sent via these "networks" and what the compatibility is like - so if I were to look at an Android headunit, or even a laptop for arguement sake, how easy it is to get the info from the car (such as the menu's, aircon info etc.).

I know there are some headunit upgrades for specific cars, such as the F30 - there is the Avin headunit although not really what I am looking for or after.

I understand why car manufacturers have done this, although for aftermarket installs this can be a mission if you wish to replace the stock headunit.

If you are happy to keep the stock headunit, then life becomes very easy. I'd prefer to use an alternative one though.

If so, then that makes life much easier. Although would the signal be digital or analogue?

Thinking perhaps get a headunit which can do PIP or similar or a switch so I get access to that info when needed?

[Image: img_2610_5122397220_3483259216.jpg]

Hi Buddy ,

I upgraded my Unit about 2 years ago and everything works well
no Issues what so ever and best upgrade to the cockpit i would say too

e90

Current :Bmw e90 ,fiat Palio,smart car
Ex : Honda ballade ,Peugeot 406,vw microbus,
23-04-2019, 10:11 AM
Headunit Upgrade (F30)

Hi

Check these guys out. I’ve used them before sell great products.

https://www.soundlouder.co.za/car-dvd-na...tion-9988.

Current- 2014 520d M-sport
Current- 2016 F86 X6 M
Current- 2006 E63 M6
Ex- 1994 E36 M3 SA
Ex- 2005 E60 M5
Ex- 2013 F21 116i Auto
28-04-2019, 10:12 AM (This post was last modified: 28-04-2019 10:18 AM by PsyCLown.)
(23-04-2019 09:53 AM)Randy A Wrote:  

Hi Buddy ,

e90

Yeah, the E90 is different as it does not have the screen at the top like the F30 does.

No issue with the older cars like the E90's, a lot of the newer cars are an issue.
Think of a Tesla and then you remove the big touch screen panel - you cannot do anything. haha

Feels that is the way all cars are going now a days. Looks good though!

(23-04-2019 10:11 AM)F21GP Wrote:  

Hi

Link is not working? Sad
28-04-2019, 03:24 PM
Headunit Upgrade (F30)
(28-04-2019 10:12 AM)PsyCLown Wrote:  
(23-04-2019 09:53 AM)Randy A Wrote:  

Hi Buddy ,

e90

Yeah, the E90 is different as it does not have the screen at the top like the F30 does.

No issue with the older cars like the E90's, a lot of the newer cars are an issue.
Think of a Tesla and then you remove the big touch screen panel - you cannot do anything. haha

Feels that is the way all cars are going now a days. Looks good though!

(23-04-2019 10:11 AM)F21GP Wrote:  

Hi

Link is not working? Sad

Yeah I noticed go to the site anyway then click on Bmw options. You’ll see this.

[Image: 8991adf00ca51ac4376f5c946d7653b2.jpg]

Current- 2014 520d M-sport
Current- 2016 F86 X6 M
Current- 2006 E63 M6
Ex- 1994 E36 M3 SA
Ex- 2005 E60 M5
Ex- 2013 F21 116i Auto
28-04-2019, 06:14 PM
@F21GP I have seen similar units to those - it is an option but once again not exactly what I am looking for.

I have been thinking about having a custom fascia made, relocating the stock headunit and replacing it with a single din unit which has an adjustable, wider (different aspect ratio, similar to the one you linked to) 8.8" screen.

Then just wire up the stock mic and steering wheel controls to the aftermarket unit and obviously completely bypass the stock amp and remove the stock speakers.

The aftermarket headunit I'd like will allow me to make use of Android Auto, has built in WiFi, 4G, GPS, spdif output (great for my DSP) and various other things. I can add a reverse camera and so forth.

This way I can keep the stock screen for menu options and still have my customized sound install.

User(s) browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content