Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2 Average
MV Agusta Brutale
12-03-2019, 09:19 AM
bolt MV Agusta Brutale
Morning Biker-ist

The bug has bit me, I am going for my road test soon and I have never been more excited. Only did two official lessons and the rest were with buddies who themselves are new to biking. I am not at all perfect I am still a bit scared and hardly go over 120kph... for now

Started looking around for a bike for myself but I am falling into a common trap that most first timers go through.

I WANT A YAMAHA R1

That bike is the best thing ever, love the looks, the sound, the lines, the name, the sounds it makes, the color of the paint, the way the handle bars feel, the warmth from the exhaust, the brightness of the headlamps, the size of the fairings, the comfort of the seat, the front fork, the rear shape of the viewing mirrors, the the the...PraisePraisePraise

Unfortunately... I have been told by a professional biker that this bike is not a joke and he'd rather I look at a 600 or cruiser. Gain some experience then maybe after a a year or two I can go the super bike route. I do like a cruiser but I feel I am still young and need to enjoy these young days then I can do the cruiser thing when I am older and in my 80s and can afford a Harley. So that brings me to the MV...

saw THIS and it looks really nice and I am keen. The price doesn't look at bad at all.

Going to have a look over the weekend.
Is this a good bike?
What should I look out for?
Where do you service this bike?
Is this a good first bike?

Anything else professionals can add I would really appreciate.

Had some fun over the weekend with a Kawasaki 650, not too fast but not slow either... just right.

[Image: kawa2_2530693542.png][Image: kawasaki_4106768663.png]
[Image: kawa3_2444515246.png]

If you are interested in something, No matter what it is
Go at it full speed
Embrace it with both arms
Love it
Live it
Be it
Above all become passionate about it
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-03-2019, 09:22 AM
RE: MV Agusta Brutale
Make sure that there's no cocaine hidden anywhere...

Current: F10 520D M Sport
Current: Audi A4 B8.5 1.8T
Ex: E92 325i M LCI
Ex: E90 323i Exclusive LCI
Ex: E90 320i Individual LCI
[Image: untitled_2669864230.jpg]
The following 2 users Like SubLoaded's post:
Dirtydeedsman, NtandoN
12-03-2019, 09:40 AM
Cool looking bike, whats the mileage and service history like? I know a few people have had issues with relabilty on the high km MV’s.

In terms of if the bike is right only you will know that, Buying a bike is like buying a hand gun, it comes down to personal preference and what you are confident and comfortable with. hop onto it get a feel for the clutch, brakes , throttle and weight.

Current rides
1995 E36 325i [Unfinished Monalisa]
2004 E46 330D M-sport [167wkw 556nm]

Ex Rides
1998 160i Conquest Rs
2012 Yamaha FZ6R - Stock
12-03-2019, 10:04 AM
I good friend of mine had his for 3 months and had endless issues. Thats why he got a R1 now. His Mv was 2nd hand with 9k Kms on. I would go for a Jap bike. They are more user friendly. That said, i would get a GS 800 anyday of the week.

Current ladies
Toyota corolla 130 1996 DD
Diahatsu terios 4x4 1.5 The family wagon

EX LADIES
- E46 318 Touring Alpine white 03'-*Sold
- Honda BROS NXR125ES red 07'-DD *sold
- Opel corsa 1.4 white 07'-sold
- VW FOX 1.3 blue matalic 89'-sold
- Opel corsa ute 1.4 silver 05'-sold
- Ford laster 1.6 white 95'- write off
- Ford bantam grey 1.6 990'-sold
[Image: img_20160718_210818_8745185299.jpg]
12-03-2019, 10:17 AM (This post was last modified: 12-03-2019 10:18 AM by Ashy Boi.)
The power is in your wrist (talking about the throttle Rofl )

I bought a 125cc to learn and get confidence, used it for max a a week, damn thing never went more than 70km/h omg waiting

My first bike was a zx10 the power is amazing, my advise and alot of people will disagree - if you want a 1000cc get one, take it easy, get familiar with the bike, the more comfortable you are with your bike the safer you will be.

Newer bikes have different riding modes so that is also something to look into.

Get a bike you like, a bike that makes you smile.

Remember if you do stupid things, stupid things will happen - be safe and good luck
12-03-2019, 10:20 AM
Thumbs this is a good bike for the first year or so and it has a good resale, I would rather look at that.

and yes its fun and easy to get through traffic. Thumbs
remeber to get the gear also - non of these flip flops and Tshirts please.

2011 120d Coupe (Black - Yin)
2012 125i Coupe (White - Yang)

2009 Z4m Coupe ( found a new home )
07 Audi A4 ( Passed onto father inlaw )
The following 1 user Likes MikeR's post:
Ashy Boi
12-03-2019, 11:07 AM (This post was last modified: 12-03-2019 11:12 AM by Dirtydeedsman.)
(12-03-2019 09:22 AM)SubLoaded Wrote:  Make sure that there's no cocaine hidden anywhere...

Fencelook

(12-03-2019 09:40 AM)Nikhil Wrote:  Cool looking bike, whats the mileage and service history like? I know a few people have had issues with relabilty on the high km MV’s.

In terms of if the bike is right only you will know that, Buying a bike is like buying a hand gun, it comes down to personal preference and what you are confident and comfortable with. hop onto it get a feel for the clutch, brakes , throttle and weight.

I have only seen the ad and asked them for some pictures which they sent. Still waiting on the information on service history. We buy cars is not the fastest or most urgent group of people with sales.

18815 kms on the clock

(12-03-2019 10:04 AM)Stephanv Wrote:  I good friend of mine had his for 3 months and had endless issues. Thats why he got a R1 now. His Mv was 2nd hand with 9k Kms on. I would go for a Jap bike. They are more user friendly. That said, i would get a GS 800 anyday of the week.

I want an R1 with my soul. Rode a 2013 version and it was twitchy and everything is dialed to 11+ which makes it very intimidating.

(12-03-2019 10:17 AM)Ashy Boi Wrote:  Get a bike you like, a bike that makes you smile.

Remember if you do stupid things, stupid things will happen - be safe and good luck

WithStu Stupidity happens by surprise Rofl

(12-03-2019 10:20 AM)MikeR Wrote:  Thumbs this is a good bike for the first year or so and it has a good resale, I would rather look at that.

and yes its fun and easy to get through traffic. Thumbs
remeber to get the gear also - non of these flip flops and Tshirts please.

That was the first thing I bought, I realized that good gear costs some serious bucks so I saved up and got a nice helmet, jump suit and gloves. Waiting for the boots now

Go at it full speed
Love it
Live it
Be it
The following 1 user Likes Dirtydeedsman's post:
jcwdrop
12-03-2019, 11:42 AM
My advice. If you're buying the MV as an interim bike before you step to the bike you really want, you'd probably be better off with something less exotic. The MV is nice yes, I'm sure we can all agree on that. But what is the point if you're going to sell it again in a few months time to step up to a 1000cc.

I've never owned a small bike. I learned on a friend's 125cc 2-stroke scrambler and my first bike was a 1200 GS. Smallest I ever went was a 800 GS.
As said previously the power is in your wrist.
Do stupid things and stupid things will happen.
Driving like an clot with a 600 will end you up in the same place as driving like a clot with a 1000.

Just my 2c.

Which ever bike you decide on, enjoy it, stay safe and I wish you many happy incident free km's.

Current:
'16 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
'13 Kawasaki ZX10R, Chucky
'11 KTM RC8 R

Hers:
'19 Kawasaki Ninja 400

Ex: '05 Audi A3 2.0T, water meth, CAI, DP, Unitronic S2, HPFP, Forge DV, Clutchmasters FX400
'08 135i Coupe, Alpine White Big Turbo Build
'13 BMW S1000RR Resurrected Thread
The following 1 user Likes Girevik77's post:
Dirtydeedsman
12-03-2019, 11:47 AM
I'm with the stick to the smaller bikes for your first bike brigade. I don't count a brutale as a smaller bike. You wont push it to high speeds much because of the the lack of wind protection, but I think your biggest risk are due to weight and throttle sensitivity. When you are still getting used to bikes you want something which is not heavy with a lighter throttle response to allow you to recover from errors. If I was buying a first bike, that ER-6 or a ktm 390 would be where I'd look. I'd also make sure that it's something quite used so I could trade up within a few months.

4 doors, leather and wood, ride like I've got a horse stable under the hood.
The following 1 user Likes jcwdrop's post:
Dirtydeedsman
12-03-2019, 02:23 PM
My input, I think it comes down to personality, if you are inclined to push everything to the max the first chance you get then you might want to look into something smaller then a 600 superbike.

If have more of a self preservation side then go for a big bike and keep it calm until you are more comfortable with it, it only goes as fast as your right wrist allows.

I went the small to big bike route but advanced so quick I might have just gone straight to big bike, my route was:

150 scooter -> DRZ400SM in two months
DRZ -> CBR1000 in three months

Granted I do not regret it as all the bikes was a whole lot of fun in their own way.

Getting back to MV, I think Fire it up is now a agent or atleast in the process of becoming one, I might be wrong though, but I am sure they will have one for you and be able to do the service etc.

On reliability, it is not fantastic as I also had some friends that rode them and they did tend to have the bikes in the shop quite often. If you get one, try and find one with less then 10k km on the clock would be my suggestion.

And lastly, let us know when you have the bike so we can arrange a ride together.Thumbs

Current Rides:
-2004 Ford Ranger 2500D
-2007 BMW 335i

-2015 KTM 1290 Superduke
-2008 Suzuki GSX650F

EX Rides:

- 1987 VW Citi Golf - RIP
- 1988 VW Fox
- 2009 NO Limit cg 125
- GoMoto Ballistic naked SI
- Suzuki DRZ400SM
- 2007 VW Polo 1.6 Comfortline
- 1991 MK2 Jetta CLI 20VT
- 2006 Audi A4 Avant S-Line
- 2013 Honda CBR1000RR - RIP
-2007 CBR 1000RR
-2007 Mazda 6 MPS
12-03-2019, 03:58 PM
I once had an affair with an italian lady.

She was a magnificent red machine - a 1098S with all the extras on it.

When things went right, she felt like Mjolnir between my thighs.......sounded like angry thunder too. Throttle was more of an on/off switch really.

But when I didnt start her for a few days, she refused to idle. Battery needed to be replaced frequently because the starter was so amp hungry.

The clutch needed to be replaced very frequently - the joys of a race slipper clutch with open cover.

The fuel range was absolutely stupid - 140 kms IF lucky.

The list goes on...........

And then there was the time her and I had words with one another and she decided she will go her own way and chucked us down the road.

All R70 000 of the revised quote - down from R105 000 I might add.

As a first bike, get something from the Jap stable. Riding a bike is not only about learning an entirely new skill, but also learning how to spanner and do some of your own things as well - chain tension, lubing, washing, change of brake pads etc etc.

A jap bike is cheaper but also way more forgiving.

The usual "buy the best gear you can" has been mentioned.

But also consider an introductory track day as such. And try find some riding mates. But make sure you choose the right type of riding mates by the way.
The following 3 users Like Mc Member.'s post:
Dirtydeedsman, GoCart, jcwdrop
12-03-2019, 04:00 PM
(12-03-2019 02:23 PM)Echo03 Wrote:  - 2013 Honda CBR1000RR - RIP

my curiosity is aroused

4 doors, leather and wood, ride like I've got a horse stable under the hood.
13-03-2019, 05:42 AM
Some good input here.

I'd say, only you would know what the right decision is. You don't want to find yourself on a machine you don't like two weeks in.

I would however recommend you get something reliable, and easy to ride.

As a new rider you have a lot to learn and confidence to build, that's not going to be easy on something wanting to take your head off from the moment you fire it up.

I'd say, if you want a first bike you're planning on keeping for a while, jump on a large naked sports bike, they are powerful enough for thrills, easy to ride, comfortable but less so at speed (which should help you keep the speed down).

Then, when you're ready, jump on the super bike you desire.
13-03-2019, 07:31 AM (This post was last modified: 13-03-2019 07:33 AM by Echo03.)
(12-03-2019 04:00 PM)jcwdrop Wrote:  

my curiosity is aroused

@Dirtydeedsman is it fine if I share the story here? it fits into the whole thing quite well but don't want to scare off a new rider.

Current Rides:
-2004 Ford Ranger 2500D
-2007 BMW 335i

-2015 KTM 1290 Superduke
-2008 Suzuki GSX650F

EX Rides:

- 1988 VW Fox
- 2009 NO Limit cg 125
- Suzuki DRZ400SM
-2007 CBR 1000RR
-2007 Mazda 6 MPS
13-03-2019, 08:16 AM (This post was last modified: 13-03-2019 09:02 AM by graan13.)
Just some words from when I started riding. Did the Dirk du Plooy school back in the day and had an old guy "Jim" (around 70 yrs old and had been riding since he was 19) who was the instructor. I mentioned to him that was thinking of getting a superbike and asked if he thought it wise to jump on a 600 first then after a while get a 1000. His words were don't, get what you want and learn to respect and ride it. He said he he see way too often how folk think they have mastered riding with a smaller bike get on the big 1000 and ride the same only to come a cropper. So with those words I decided to take his advice and bought the Honda Fireblade. I learned to ride it doing track days etc and have to say it was a very fast but forgiving bike. I have ridden the R1's of the day and they were not as forgiving, fast but much harder to ride as fast as the Honda.

Just be very wise and think about what it is you want - transport or enjoyment.
If you are looking for boots, I have a very good set of Garne in size 10. Used but in very good condition.

[Image: my m5_3866542591.jpg]
The senior King - Simply, the best!!!
You are missed.......
13-03-2019, 08:46 AM
my friend bought a F3 675...i absolutely loved it...beautiful and a great bike..i love italian bikes..i reckon its like buying an //M...i nearly dropped it the first time i hit the brakes..but then the ABS assisted...it dropped a valve with 6000km on the clock..they replaced the engine...i will say...i feel that its a lot easier riding new bikes compared to learning on the old stuff..quickshift and traction control and different riding style settings.

current: BMW E92 M3 (bearings could be fcukd)
13-03-2019, 08:58 AM (This post was last modified: 13-03-2019 09:09 AM by Dirtydeedsman.)
(13-03-2019 07:31 AM)Echo03 Wrote:  
(12-03-2019 04:00 PM)jcwdrop Wrote:  

my curiosity is aroused

@Dirtydeedsman is it fine if I share the story here? it fits into the whole thing quite well but don't want to scare off a new rider.

Please do

(12-03-2019 02:23 PM)Echo03 Wrote:  And lastly, let us know when you have the bike so we can arrange a ride together.Thumbs

Most definitely... I just need to get my license first. I am scared that if I get the bike before the license then I am never going to get my license.

(13-03-2019 08:16 AM)graan13 Wrote:  Just be very wise and think about what it is you want - transport or enjoyment.

It is mainly going to be a weekend bike, I live close enough to work that I just walk sometimes.

Here is the thing.... maybe I should have led with this.

Life is getting a bit monotone at this stage I am. Started a new job that is really very demanding, Studies are not making life any easier and as a newly married man there is no time to do anything. I realized that I have always wanted a bike and I have been an avid bike fan for the longest time and I couldn't really afford one. Now I can and I feel this bike is going to become a full time hobby. From hopefully servicing and maintenance to weekend rides with buddies and breakfast runs with other people.

I want to squeeze this in, the wife has given me a two year gap to enjoy it then the baby talk will start and she has made it clear that as a father I will not be allowed to ride...dunno anymore

Soooo yeah...

Go at it full speed
Love it
Live it
Be it
13-03-2019, 09:28 AM
I'm on my 5th YZF R1 and I'm with you on the R1's. Fantastic and never let me down. Just remember if you opt for a 600, they are stupidly fast as well.

The R1 in "B" mode with traction and anti-wheely control active is not that scary. BUT, BUT if you cannot control the urge to go WOT, stay off any newer Superbike as they are all 180 hp plus. Just normal old Common Sense to stay alive.

Bought my laaitie a 600 CBR the other day, very fast but the way these 600's deliver power is for sure better for a learner rider. On our very bad roads here in our ONE HORSE Town I feel more at ease on the 600 as on the R1. Just your arm movement on the bumps cause input changes on the more powerful machines.

Being on two wheels for more than 40 years I can tell that our ROADS and everything on said ROADS are the biggest "thing" to be on the lookout for! Whatever you do, be save mate. ( JAP bikes are very good indeed)

I would always like to have a photographic memory but it never developed.
13-03-2019, 09:45 AM
Ok then first off, This is a lesson I learnt the hard way and preach it quite allot when I encounter new riders, TAKE IT EASY IN THE BEGINNING.

Background: I owned a 2006 CBR 1000, great bike, the only flaw my one had though was that the front brakes was very low. On the track after a few corners it would need to be pulled all the way down to the grip to get full brake force, but it never faded(this was even after a full caliper service, braided hoses etc. etc.) I never figured it out but the next owner apparently diddunno anymore

So August 2015 we were planing on going to Staffie rally in Pilgrims Rust, knowing the passes coming up we planned a whole 2 days of riding everywhere around there, and then it just so happened that I came across a beautiful 2013 CBR 1000 in REPSOL colors with only 7000 km on the clock. On 20/08/2015 I took delivery and she was home.

[Image: 2e7C0Ad.jpg]
[Image: bm8DT8i.jpg]

As the road was highway we decided to rather trailer the bikes up to lydenburg and then get into the fun part from there:

[Image: GcdmSHK.jpg]

Arriving in Lydenburg we jumped into our suits, unload the bikes, jump on and off we go.

The date was 28/08/2015, quick math will give you 8 days of ownership, in this time I have done only 400 km on the bike, now once again, I did not know the bike this well at all, everything being new still and working properly, including the front brakes.

So we get to the Start of the Longtom Pass, I stop to give my girlfriend(riding mountain passes for her first time on her own bike) the following advice. "TAKE IT EASY" oh the irony.

Jump back on the bike, do a wheelie past the support vehicle, and start heating the tires, I am now being followed by my good friend that is more or less matched with me skill wise and we are ripping through the pass.

20km into it I get stuck behind a car and as soon as I see him move over slightly I gun it past him, being a little faster then I feel comfortable with I want to just scrub a little speed before the corner, and being used to the 2006 and NOT the 2013 I grab a huge hand full of front brakes and the rear wheel comes off the ground and I know I am now in for a bad time.

This is the site the rest of the club arrived to:

[Image: qykP497.jpg]
[Image: butXUhU.jpg]
[Image: uk4qtwk.jpg]

I hit the windscreen and luckily the airbag that had deployed and was thrown over the car and landed a few meters behind it. Luckily I was wearing a excellent helmet and full leathers.

Was transported to hospital:

[Image: 57cM6WY.jpg]

I was checked out and scanned and all that but amazingly walked away with only a few bruises and testicular trauma.

[Image: n7cITgN.jpg]

Went back to the Rally and enjoyed(as best i could being stiff and sore) the rally

[Image: vCXqSea.jpg]

Now once again, This is just a lesson I want to preach to as many riders, Old and young

Take it easy, get to know your bike and more importantly your limits. Bikes are to be respected or they will bite you.

Be safe guys.

Current Rides:
-2004 Ford Ranger 2500D
-2007 BMW 335i

-2015 KTM 1290 Superduke
-2008 Suzuki GSX650F

EX Rides:

- 1988 VW Fox
- 2009 NO Limit cg 125
- Suzuki DRZ400SM
-2007 CBR 1000RR
-2007 Mazda 6 MPS
The following 2 users Like Echo03's post:
danieltau, UpNcOmiNg!
13-03-2019, 10:57 AM
(13-03-2019 09:45 AM)Echo03 Wrote:  Be safe guys.

Wow,

That is one hell of a story, things change quickly from fun and exciting to serious and almost fatal.

Thanks for sharing your story. I'm going to take it with me and share with my buddies as well.

Thank you again for the story and advice.

Go at it full speed
Love it
Live it
Be it

User(s) browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content