Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
14-02-2019, 08:25 AM
New guy
New user here.
I am looking to get into a E90 320d sometime this year. From what I've read, LCI seems the way to go. Consumption with the torque seems to be the best combination.

How are the 6sp auto boxes? I've heard they can be sluggish.

I''ve come from a B8 S4, but the consumption and maintenance was killing me.

What spec should I be looking at?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-02-2019, 09:01 AM (This post was last modified: 14-02-2019 09:02 AM by yush1.)
RE: New guy
Hi. Since you had a S4 you might find the 320d a bit sluggish. Having said that, they very reliable and inexpensive to maintain. Check for the damper pulley being replaced and regular oil changes. Regarding the ZF 6 speed, they perform quite well. You can always do the gearbox flash as many guys have confirmed it makes a big difference. Maybe a E90 330d LCi would be a good option as well. Good luck finding a good one. There is one for sale on the forum. Heres the link

https://www.bmwfanatics.co.za/showthread.php?tid=89172

Thumbs
14-02-2019, 09:10 AM
I would recommend looking at a LCI 330d rather than 320d if you are used to the s4. The 30d is obviously a bit heavier than 20d on fuel,but it is marginal in my opinion given the performance difference. Decent spec 330ds with low mileage are becoming hens teeth though.

The 6HP boxes are actually good as far as I am concerned ,they obviously don't perform as well as the newer 8speed boxes,but I would rate them as one of the better boxes of that time period.The XHP gearbox flash makes these 6speed boxes perform extremely well.

The 320d(and 330d) are relatively cheap to maintain ,the box needs to be serviced at around 80-100k km and the crank dampner pulley would need to be replaced at abou 150k km.

Current:
e90 330d M-sport Auto
Opel Corsa Utility 1.4
Suzuki Tl1000

[Image: img_1954_7594118472.jpg]

Ex:
E46 320d Auto
E46 320d Manual
Kawasaki ZXR400
14-02-2019, 09:32 AM
Welcome and good luck with the search!
Yesterday, 07:39 AM
Thanks for the advice guys.

I was kinda over the power of the S4, using it less and less, due to traffic and growing up I guess. The 320d seems to be the sweet spot and more readily available, but if a well specced 330d comes around, the premium seems to be worth it.

I would have stayed with Audi, but the multitronic gearboxes on the diesels are not worth the trouble when they break.

User(s) browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content