Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vibration on E90 not going away after Flexi disc + centre bearing replacement
05-12-2018, 01:02 AM
Vibration on E90 not going away after Flexi disc + centre bearing replacement
So I had this problem on my automatic 320d E90 where it would vibrate very heaviy under acceleration or going uphill so much that highway trips were out of the question. Upon driving the rev counter will be all over the place even at idle it would be trembling just a bit. Upon reading the advice from several forums I narrowed the problem to the propshaft and bought the front and rear flexi discs and centre bearing which were installed by some guys at Super Quick where I also replaced my control arms. After the work we took the car for a test drive and the car only started vibrating around 160km / hr. On the way back the vibration was back at lower speeds like 80km but much lower than first time. Rev counter is stead on driving and rock steady at idle. Upon further reearch I realise may this could be my tyres (I have normal 17s on the back and run flat 17s on the front) and its something I have always wanted to fix but never got round to doing. My question is to fix the problem should in what order should I do the (1) wheel balancing (2) wheel replacement to same size (3) having the centre bearing preloaded because I don't think those guys knew anything about that and kinda struggled to put back the propshaft after putting the flexi discs. Now I am no longer sure and hope having those three done will trouble shoot the problem.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2018, 08:11 AM
RE: Vibration on E90 not going away after Flexi disc + centre bearing replacement
Subscribed, let me know what you find.

I have a similar problem, but not as pronounced.

HIS: E34 535i 1991 M30, F10 530d 2011 N57
[Image: signature_333363036.jpg]
05-12-2018, 09:09 AM
RE: Vibration on E90 not going away after Flexi disc + centre bearing replacement
OK...

So my story is...

'08 E90 325i with 160000km on clock.

Vibrations started at around 40-80 under acceleration. When coasting, there was an audible squeak coming from under the car.

Removed flex disc and check, but it was still almost new condition. Checked center bearing, and all was good there also.

Turns out, I had a seized rear universal on the prop.

Had the prop reconned. Vibrations were still there, but at higher speeds. Now at around 110. Squeak was gone.
Took prop back, had it checked and balanced. Re installed with a new center bearing and still vibrated.
School fees payed, I went and got me another prop.

So far no vibrations... Still using old flex coupling and old center bearing.

I've walked the walk...
Now I talk the talk...
05-12-2018, 09:38 AM
(05-12-2018 09:09 AM)husaindindar Wrote:  OK...

So my story is...

Vibrations started at around 40-80 under acceleration. When coasting, there was an audible squeak coming from under the car.

Removed flex disc and check, but it was still almost new condition. Checked center bearing, and all was good there also.

Had the prop reconned. Vibrations were still there, but at higher speeds. Now at around 110. Squeak was gone.
Took prop back, had it checked and balanced. Re installed with a new center bearing and still vibrated.

Just out of curiosity how much was the new prop? Hope it doesnt have to come to that
05-12-2018, 09:45 AM
(05-12-2018 09:38 AM)Tindo1 Wrote:  
(05-12-2018 09:09 AM)husaindindar Wrote:  OK...

So my story is...

Just out of curiosity how much was the new prop? Hope it doesnt have to come to that

I payed 2k for a fairly decent second hand.

I doubt I'll afford a new one Bluebiggrin

User(s) browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content