Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
09-11-2018, 10:36 AM
MINI Life
[Image: 43354530_10157854804529606_6630452185215...e=5C7F4176]

Since I can remember I have loved MINI's, I have driven many but never had to live with one.

The car in question is a 2008 MINI Clubman Cooper. I bought it with 104 000km, for R100k as a use and abuse daily about two months. In terms of specification its poverty with cloth seats, standard sound, no sunroof, no nothing actually. It has an early specification pack called the pepper pack which basically means its got mood lights, a hidden dash compartment and extra lights under the doors and boot. The car came with my previous cars Cooper S wheel and runflats and to date I have done approximately 7000km in 2 months in it.

Despite how they look, cosmetically these cars are built fairly well, but only where it matters. The doors have a solid clunk to them, a mechanical feel even but the plastic interior handles creak and groan like an old man. Inside its a similar story, everything you touch feels solid, germanic even, yet adjusting the steering wheel, leaning on the center console or pushing against the dash you are met with more groans, more moans. Place a set of keys anywhere besides on a carpet, and its just shocking how cheap some of the finishes are. Go around the back of the car and the bootlid plastic, even with new clips is in a constant state of deconstructing itself, it works on my tits like nothing else.

On the road its an interesting car. The longer wheel base of the Clubman makes for a front wheel drive car that has the spirit of a rear wheel drive car. It is in permanent lift off oversteer, its just a complete laugh. The slightly friendlier, softer Cooper chassis and suspension setup (matched with less performance obviously) makes for a car that is so easy to control, so easy to mess with and a car that despite its age and mileage is surprisingly sharp and responsive. The steering weight is perfect if a bit twitchy, and the suspension is unsettled on harsh bumps, a point that annoyed me at first but now is just part of the fun.

[Image: 43322908_10157854750209606_4928165545536...e=5C3CEDDD]

Day to day, the cloth seats are rubbish, the sound system is rubbish (even with upgraded speakers), the windows whine as they go up and down, they car does not rattle though, but I did rebuild half of it already. The radio screen fades out on hot days, it uses 8L per 100km everywhere and the fuel tank capacity is a joke. It crashes over the slightest bumps, the doors are too long to get out of comfortably and it has this annoying habit of shocking either me or my better half, its become a competition to see who it can shock first, we look like retards using cloths and our shirts to open and close the doors or only using plastic or glass after drives.

I do believe all of the above are things I can live with. However, I have started to lose my patience with the big elephant in the room, the MINI bug bear.... Yup, that outright diabolically shit motor, the prince motor. My word I hate this thing. It has a new timing chain, 0W40 Fully Synthetic and it rattles, EVERYWHERE. My driveway at our apartment requires a bit of power and the noises this motor makes on a cold start up the little hill to our gate make me feel ill. Its not just the noises, small changes in weather make the motor either ultra eager or ultra lazy and then there is everything attached to the motor.

The gearbox has a clunk as you release the clutch, the driveshafts have eaten their seals twice, and had to be refurbished, on a 88kw 1.6, thats a joke. The motor runs on an intake and exhaust solenoid system which on a good day, despite replacing everything, leaves it with a horrible idle (in comparison to say a 1.6 polo) and revving it, while enjoyable makes the motor sound like it wants to explode. Its all chocolate, leave it in the sun for too long and its melts - Every day it does something different to the last, a new sound, a new dip. The detonation on this thing is unreal, it pings and pulls timing audibly, on a hill, at a traffic light, if you just load it slightly its pinging.

[Image: 43447157_10157854657104606_1097833412254...e=5C40FF13]

The shocks had to be done at 100 000km, as did the top mounts, control arms, engine mounts, thermostat and more - In my case, I knew this and made someone else pay for it, but to the little 18 year old girl buying her first MINI, gurl good luck.

The R56/55/57/60 generation of MINI's nailed the MINI formula. They are small enough, extremely fun and extremely cool cars, but the motor is just the pinnacle of fuckery. I adore the car, it puts such a smile on my face but I drive in constant fear of what might break next because it sounds like everything is about to break but the car is solid on the road. What upsets me is BMW used the MINI / Peugeot Prince Motor in the 116/8i yet if you check RealOEM, the BMW gets so many revised parts the MINI of the same year with the same motor doesnt, it is as if BMW used MINI to get themselves a reliable motor and then forgot that MINI owners might also like the benefit of their expense.

I am contemplating selling for a R53 Cooper S (last of the gen 2006 model) as those are just excellent and because supercharger whine, but this MINI has put me off MINI ownership entirely, I even spent some extended time in the new Cooper / S and walked away more certain than ever that unless an R53 makes things better, I simply wont bother with this brand again.

Ultimately, I enjoy the car, and I love how the Clubman looks, how it drives, how it feels, but its a bit like living with a ticking time-bomb in the carpark downstairs, and frankly, I already had one of those go boom.

Mike

BMW X1 23d Xdrive - 190kw & 440nm
My Off-Road Journal
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
The following 1 user Likes SMRTARSX1's post:
hingisp
09-11-2018, 10:47 AM
RE: MINI Life
(09-11-2018 10:36 AM)SMRTARSX1 Wrote:  [Image: 43354530_10157854804529606_6630452185215...e=5C7F4176]

Since I can remember I have loved MINI's, I have driven many but never had to live with one.

The car in question is a 2008 MINI Clubman Cooper. I bought it with 104 000km, for R100k as a use and abuse daily about two months. In terms of specification its poverty with cloth seats, standard sound, no sunroof, no nothing actually. It has an early specification pack called the pepper pack which basically means its got mood lights, a hidden dash compartment and extra lights under the doors and boot. The car came with my previous cars Cooper S wheel and runflats and to date I have done approximately 7000km in 2 months in it.

Despite how they look, cosmetically these cars are built fairly well, but only where it matters. The doors have a solid clunk to them, a mechanical feel even but the plastic interior handles creak and groan like an old man. Inside its a similar story, everything you touch feels solid, germanic even, yet adjusting the steering wheel, leaning on the center console or pushing against the dash you are met with more groans, more moans. Place a set of keys anywhere besides on a carpet, and its just shocking how cheap some of the finishes are. Go around the back of the car and the bootlid plastic, even with new clips is in a constant state of deconstructing itself, it works on my tits like nothing else.

On the road its an interesting car. The longer wheel base of the Clubman makes for a front wheel drive car that has the spirit of a rear wheel drive car. It is in permanent lift off oversteer, its just a complete laugh. The slightly friendlier, softer Cooper chassis and suspension setup (matched with less performance obviously) makes for a car that is so easy to control, so easy to mess with and a car that despite its age and mileage is surprisingly sharp and responsive. The steering weight is perfect if a bit twitchy, and the suspension is unsettled on harsh bumps, a point that annoyed me at first but now is just part of the fun.

[Image: 43322908_10157854750209606_4928165545536...e=5C3CEDDD]

Day to day, the cloth seats are rubbish, the sound system is rubbish (even with upgraded speakers), the windows whine as they go up and down, they car does not rattle though, but I did rebuild half of it already. The radio screen fades out on hot days, it uses 8L per 100km everywhere and the fuel tank capacity is a joke. It crashes over the slightest bumps, the doors are too long to get out of comfortably and it has this annoying habit of shocking either me or my better half, its become a competition to see who it can shock first, we look like retards using cloths and our shirts to open and close the doors or only using plastic or glass after drives.

I do believe all of the above are things I can live with. However, I have started to lose my patience with the big elephant in the room, the MINI bug bear.... Yup, that outright diabolically shit motor, the prince motor. My word I hate this thing. It has a new timing chain, 0W40 Fully Synthetic and it rattles, EVERYWHERE. My driveway at our apartment requires a bit of power and the noises this motor makes on a cold start up the little hill to our gate make me feel ill. Its not just the noises, small changes in weather make the motor either ultra eager or ultra lazy and then there is everything attached to the motor.

The gearbox has a clunk as you release the clutch, the driveshafts have eaten their seals twice, and had to be refurbished, on a 88kw 1.6, thats a joke. The motor runs on an intake and exhaust solenoid system which on a good day, despite replacing everything, leaves it with a horrible idle (in comparison to say a 1.6 polo) and revving it, while enjoyable makes the motor sound like it wants to explode. Its all chocolate, leave it in the sun for too long and its melts - Every day it does something different to the last, a new sound, a new dip. The detonation on this thing is unreal, it pings and pulls timing audibly, on a hill, at a traffic light, if you just load it slightly its pinging.

[Image: 43447157_10157854657104606_1097833412254...e=5C40FF13]

The shocks had to be done at 100 000km, as did the top mounts, control arms, engine mounts, thermostat and more - In my case, I knew this and made someone else pay for it, but to the little 18 year old girl buying her first MINI, gurl good luck.

The R56/55/57/60 generation of MINI's nailed the MINI formula. They are small enough, extremely fun and extremely cool cars, but the motor is just the pinnacle of fuckery. I adore the car, it puts such a smile on my face but I drive in constant fear of what might break next because it sounds like everything is about to break but the car is solid on the road. What upsets me is BMW used the MINI / Peugeot Prince Motor in the 116/8i yet if you check RealOEM, the BMW gets so many revised parts the MINI of the same year with the same motor doesnt, it is as if BMW used MINI to get themselves a reliable motor and then forgot that MINI owners might also like the benefit of their expense.

I am contemplating selling for a R53 Cooper S (last of the gen 2006 model) as those are just excellent and because supercharger whine, but this MINI has put me off MINI ownership entirely, I even spent some extended time in the new Cooper / S and walked away more certain than ever that unless an R53 makes things better, I simply wont bother with this brand again.

Ultimately, I enjoy the car, and I love how the Clubman looks, how it drives, how it feels, but its a bit like living with a ticking time-bomb in the carpark downstairs, and frankly, I already had one of those go boom.

Mike
Lovely write up man. Very nice read. I truly hope you don't give up on the brand but I fully understand all your quirks on it. I reckon the R53 is the way to go if you on the quest for an original mini. I have the R52, same motor as 53 and I just love this car. Have put tons of hours under the body and just brings a smile to my dial everytime we go spend some time bonding on the roads. For me the R53 was what mini was all about, it's raw go-kart like characteristics, and like you say that supercharger whine is something intoxicating. Good luck on your quest and may I suggest at the very least go and test drive a couple before closing this chapter. There is also a ton of mods one can do to the R53 if that is your sort of thing.... Good luck Bluebiggrin

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
09-11-2018, 10:49 AM
"gurl good luck" Rofl

Nice write-up Thumbs

Current: E92 325i M LCI
Current: Audi A4 B8.5 1.8T
Ex: E90 323i Exclusive LCI
Ex: E90 320i Individual LCI

[Image: naman_5196753591_3577692508.png]
12-11-2018, 10:46 AM
And on that bomb-shell, its up for sale.

My Off-Road Journal
12-11-2018, 09:14 PM
I had the R53 , such an awesome car to drive , one of the best handling cars I have driven , so much speed into and out of corners and it sits planted . Big smile every time , my missus owns the car now so I still get to drive it smile bounce

Current Ride:Z4 3.0i all black (Stock)
Ex Ride: Mini Cooper John Works(now the missus)
12-11-2018, 09:25 PM
And its gone.

Replacement Audi A3 2.0TFSI S Line being collected tomorrow. Fencelook

My Off-Road Journal
14-11-2018, 01:37 PM
And its gone. The replacement Audi A3 is about a gazillion times better.

My Off-Road Journal
14-11-2018, 01:50 PM
(14-11-2018 01:37 PM)SMRTARSX1 Wrote:  And its gone. The replacement Audi A3 is about a gazillion times better.

Pictures? Is it the A3 sedan? Probably would be my choice of car after BMW.

User(s) browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content