Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Car struggles to start after sitting overnight
09-11-2018, 07:58 AM
Car struggles to start after sitting overnight
Hi guys,

I have a 2010 320i e90 LCI and have noticed that it has recently picked up a glitch that it wont start up easily after leaving the car over night.

my usual routine is open car, key fob in, push start button and while
the car does al it's checks and priming the pumps etc i can hear all the long beep, clicking etc while I open the gates to leave....

I get in, and try start the car... nothing...
all I hear is a "whirring sound" followed by a click.
try again a few times, nothing...
push accelerator pedal, and it feels like its about to swing over and nothing.
a few tries more and it will finally swing and then its starts up no problem, no puff of smoke, no rattle all good to go.
After driving to work, I can turn it off and turn it on again after it cools down and it will still start fine... who knows why dunno anymore

I did a quick scan this morning and pulled the following codes:
P1105
P2096
P2098
B2aaa

the car had a service about a month ago, and the car came up clean on their side.

I had engine overall last year, replaced the oil cooler, thermostat housing and radiator and fuel filter so in theory its almost a new car.
battery checked out good as well.

I can only assume that the issues could be cam shaft sensors, and a starter motor.... probably a starter motor.

does anyone have any ideas in fault finding so I can have this seen to this weekend.
thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-11-2018, 08:49 AM (This post was last modified: 09-11-2018 08:50 AM by Stompie.)
RE: Car struggles to start after sitting overnight
P1105 - Differential Pressure Sensor Intake Manifold Plausibility
P2096 - Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Lean Bank 1
P2098 - Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Lean Bank 2
B2aaa - Not sure?

I would start looking at the MAP sensor on the intake
09-11-2018, 08:54 AM
(09-11-2018 08:49 AM)Stompie Wrote:  P1105 - Differential Pressure Sensor Intake Manifold Plausibility
P2096 - Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Lean Bank 1
P2098 - Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Lean Bank 2
B2aaa - Not sure?

I would start looking at the MAP sensor on the intake

Noted.
I'll give it a deep clean, that's a quick n easy one.
09-11-2018, 08:55 AM
I would check the Battery out, how old is it and when last was it replaced?

You would be surprised at how dependant these cars electronics are on getting good battery amperage.
The following 3 users Like NBN's post:
Schizosautomotiverepairs, Stompie, SubLoaded
09-11-2018, 09:26 AM
(09-11-2018 08:55 AM)NBN Wrote:  I would check the Battery out, how old is it and when last was it replaced?

You would be surprised at how dependant these cars electronics are on getting good battery amperage.

I had the battery tested last year October, but it wont hurt to consider this as a option, just read an article that it may well be that.
The following 1 user Likes RayMan101's post:
Schizosautomotiverepairs
09-11-2018, 09:31 AM
Too much air, not enough fuel according to those errors.

I'd probably start with the battery if it's still the original one. These cars are extremely retarded when it comes to a low battery.

Current: E92 325i M LCI
Current: Audi A4 B8.5 1.8T
Ex: E90 323i Exclusive LCI
Ex: E90 320i Individual LCI

[Image: naman_5196753591_3577692508.png]
The following 1 user Likes SubLoaded's post:
Schizosautomotiverepairs
09-11-2018, 09:44 AM
(09-11-2018 09:26 AM)RayMan101 Wrote:  
(09-11-2018 08:55 AM)NBN Wrote:  I would check the Battery out, how old is it and when last was it replaced?

I had the battery tested last year October, but it wont hurt to consider this as a option, just read an article that it may well be that.

Its most likely the battery bud ...had a similar experience a few months ago...new battery sorted it out Thumbs

[Image: webp.net-compress-image (3)_4062250708.jpg]
10-11-2018, 04:47 PM
just to get back to guys, popped out to have the battery tested...
well..
1: The battery is on its way out - thanks for the info, appreciate it guys Ty
2: The battery is the incorrect (physical) size and size needed to properly power the car.... no idea how that happened dunno anymore

so tomorrow, I'll be leaning out the MAF, and when I have a moment at work pop into a place to replace the battery, the stealers can kiss my @rse is they this I'll pay R2900 ex vat for the battery and another R990 ex vat for labor.
found a reputable place that will do it for 50% less.

….the coding is another issue, I don't have iDrive, so i shouldn't need to code from what I've read so far..
13-11-2018, 07:01 AM
Hi all

so a quick update, on Sunday I cleaned out the MAF and had a new battery installed, I was lucky enough to get a new battery (BMW branded ones) and have it installed. voltages at on, off and when started were 100%.
yay for that...

then this morning it gave the same issues again rage

after 4min it eventually turned over and roared to life.. had a bit of a lumpy idle for a minute and went away, drove my normal 40k's to work. Stopped the car and started it fine with no issues, first time.
pulled the following codes:
P0420
P0430
now my CAT's are giving issues?
13-11-2018, 07:37 AM
my E46 had an issue where the fuel filter wasnt holding pressure properly.

basically, i'd have to prime the fuel pump by switching the ignition on/off 4 times, then start the car and it would fire up ok. if i just cranked straight from cold it would turn over several times, then eventually start.. but have a slight misfire for about 10-20 seconds.. then would even out.

if you're having similar symptoms, get the fuel filter changed if it has been a while
13-11-2018, 10:52 AM
So just wanna find out in the mornings, does it crank over and not start?

or is it just not cranking at all the first few tries?

I thought the fuel filter on the e90 petrol engines were non-servicable (lifetime) items? - maybe something went wrong when that was done when you did your overhaul?

I would check that as you changed the battery already.
13-11-2018, 11:16 AM
omg waiting How the spark plugs looking ? - when were they replaced, although even if new check for cracks.

2011 120d Coupe (Black - Yin)
2012 125i Coupe (White - Yang)

2009 Z4m Coupe ( found a new home )
07 Audi A4 ( Passed onto father inlaw )
13-11-2018, 11:37 AM
Interesting Fault...Surprising I am experiencing the exact similar symptoms with my daily ride a 2011 Polo 6 Tdi
1st start every morning dead or a click, try turning the key a few times ..sometimes a drag start as if its a poor battery ..then it starts after 3rd/4th try..Perfect for the day ...even standing for the entire day. Some mornings no issues at all. I also have a new Battery fitted not too long ago.

In my previous experience a common issue with my previous toyotas was sticky starter solenoid...and my polo symptoms seems very similar..

I will try and strip the solenoid this weekend and give the mechanical shaft and gear a squirt of Q20 and test.

Maybe something to look at on you car as well?

[Image: bm2_1821495792.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes NFCKN'SANE's post:
RayMan101
13-11-2018, 03:01 PM (This post was last modified: 13-11-2018 03:11 PM by RayMan101.)
(13-11-2018 07:37 AM)kilotango Wrote:  my E46 had an issue where the fuel filter wasnt holding pressure properly.

basically, i'd have to prime the fuel pump by switching the ignition on/off 4 times, then start the car and it would fire up ok. if i just cranked straight from cold it would turn over several times, then eventually start.. but have a slight misfire for about 10-20 seconds.. then would even out.

if you're having similar symptoms, get the fuel filter changed if it has been a while

Eish - fuel filter was replaced a month ago

(13-11-2018 11:16 AM)MikeR Wrote:  omg waiting How the spark plugs looking ? - when were they replaced, although even if new check for cracks.

spark plugs were also done with the service, along with fuel filter.

what's odd is once the car is warm, it starts no problem, drives no problem. everything is "good"
13-11-2018, 03:25 PM (This post was last modified: 13-11-2018 03:26 PM by kilotango.)
(13-11-2018 03:01 PM)RayMan101 Wrote:  
(13-11-2018 07:37 AM)kilotango Wrote:  my E46 had an issue where the fuel filter wasnt holding pressure properly.

(13-11-2018 11:16 AM)MikeR Wrote:  omg waiting How the spark plugs looking ? - when were they replaced, although even if new check for cracks.

what's odd is once the car is warm, it starts no problem, drives no problem. everything is "good"

when its warm... the fuel lines are still pressurised. i reckon its that fuel filter, or the fuel pump. i believe the fuel pump has a none return valve in it, which if its bust allows fuel to drain back into the tank. so when you crank there is no fuel in the line immediately for ignition.

if you can, tomorrow morning when its cold... try and prime the fuel pump a few times before cranking it.. to see if the car starts better first time. if starts after priming the fuel pump like 4-7 times, it means its fuel pressure related

good luck Thumbs
13-11-2018, 05:21 PM (This post was last modified: 13-11-2018 05:21 PM by RayMan101.)
(13-11-2018 03:25 PM)kilotango Wrote:  

when its warm... the fuel lines are still pressurised. i reckon its that fuel filter, or the fuel pump. i believe the fuel pump has a none return valve in it, which if its bust allows fuel to drain back into the tank. so when you crank there is no fuel in the line immediately for ignition.

if you can, tomorrow morning when its cold... try and prime the fuel pump a few times before cranking it.. to see if the car starts better first time. if starts after priming the fuel pump like 4-7 times, it means its fuel pressure related

good luck Thumbs

Now that sounds like a plan, I'll give it a go as well before I leave work this evening and again.
I hope I have some good news to report on...and a small mount of cash I have to spend - lol

(13-11-2018 03:25 PM)kilotango Wrote:  

good luck Thumbs

Now that sounds like a plan, I'll give it a go as well before I leave work this evening and again.
I hope I have some good news to report on...and a small mount of cash I have to spend - lol
The following 1 user Likes RayMan101's post:
kilotango
14-11-2018, 04:53 PM
Could also be the filter on the in-tank fuel pump (lpfp). Hope you come right.

User(s) browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content