Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lab Tests for Transmission Fluid
04-11-2018, 12:14 PM
Lab Tests for Transmission Fluid
I need to change the transmission fluid in my 2005 320d because nowhere in the service history does it specify a transmission oil change and the car is currently sitting at 333k. While going through the forums. I noticed that some people sent their old transmission fluid to a lab to see the metals and contaminants in the fluid which should give you a picture of how bad your fluid was before you changed it (or how bad your transmission could have been affected by the presence of metals / contaminants / moisture etc). Is there anything equivalent in SA? My gut feeling tells me my oil was never changed and I would like to know how bad it is now after more than 300k mileage. Below is a sample of the report on the transmission fluid.[Image: 150x150_p1_9171705218.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-11-2018, 02:04 PM
RE: Lab Tests for Transmission Fluid
You can use an oil analysis lab called Wearcheck locally.

Is your car Auto or Manual?

At 333k you can do more damage than good by changing the oil if it’s never been changed before... google it
04-11-2018, 02:08 PM
(04-11-2018 02:04 PM)444YYY Wrote:  You can use an oil analysis lab called Wearcheck locally.

Is your car Auto or Manual?

At 333k you can do more damage than good by changing the oil if it’s never been changed before... google it

It's an automatic. I was reading that sediments in the filter can get lodged in the transmission and create issues but from what I have read so far it seems more of a hypothetical one than an actual risk because after extensively reading on the forums I am yet to find someone whose transmission was degraded after replacing the fluid. Will keep on reading though.
04-11-2018, 02:56 PM
Phone ZF jhb for an opinion as well!
04-11-2018, 03:45 PM
(04-11-2018 02:56 PM)444YYY Wrote:  Phone ZF jhb for an opinion as well!

Thank you. Will do
05-11-2018, 12:59 AM
(04-11-2018 02:04 PM)444YYY Wrote:  At 333k you can do more damage than good by changing the oil if it’s never been changed before... google it

This is a bit of a myth, based on misdiagnosis of an actual problem.

You don't actually damage the gearbox by changing the fluid, but old bad fluid has lots of impurities in it that increase the friction between worn clutch packs.

So, changing the fluid will just reveal damage that has already been done.

But the result is the same, you will have to rebuild the transmission if the clutch packs slip, or maybe keep the old fluid and change it back if it is too worn.

Old fluid will however accelerate wear on all components including pumps amd valve bodies.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

(O==00= ti O)
'71 2002 Malaga
'70 2002ti Colorado
R53 Mini Cooper S
The following 1 user Likes Carbon's post:
GoCart
06-11-2018, 08:33 AM
Leave it. It's stuffed already. When it dies it dies.

User(s) browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content