Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
E46 320D vibrating propshaft
12-10-2018, 10:02 AM
Hi Guys

There are quite a few threads regarding this but not quite and answer that fits my current situation. I have recently replaced the carrier bearings on my E46 320D's propshaft and now I get quite a bit of vibration from the propshaft under load around 50-60 km/h. I have spoken to a few propshaft shops and they all recon the shaft should be balanced. I just want to get a bit more insight before doing this as it costs an arm and a leg to do balancing in Pretoria (nothing under R1500.00) and I really do not want to waste my money. I also need my car to travel to work every day and the best lead time I got so far was 2 days which I really cannot afford right now. There was absolutely no vibration before replacing the bearings, only noise coming from one of the bearings that was shot. Would it make any sense that the prop would go off balance just by replacing the faulty bearing? Or is there something I missed while re-assembling the prop? Any advice would be great.

Thanks in advance

Current: E46 320D F/L (His)
E87 118i (Hers)

Ex: E53 X5 3.0d A/T M-Sport
Ex: BMW 330d E46 F/L
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-10-2018, 10:36 AM
RE: E46 320D vibrating propshaft
Hi.

I've been plagued with prop shaft issues recently, so yeah, I know your feeling... (E90 tho)

Its good practice to balance the prop, however, your vibrations are not due to unbalance. An unbalanced shaft will always vibrate, not only under load.

My prop vibrations were due to a seized back universal. I do advice if that is the case, to replace the prop and NOT recon the universal. I payed school fees there!

Another suggestion is to have the guibo/flex coupling checked. Also bear in mind that the pirate bearing and guibo do cause slight vibrations also. Nothing like the original.

Since you in PTA, why not take it to John?

I've walked the walk...
Now I talk the talk...
12-10-2018, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the advice, will have alook at universals and giubo. I have considered dropping by John as soon as i get the opportunity to

Sent from my LG-M250 using Tapatalk

E87 118i (Hers)

12-10-2018, 11:54 AM
I say Poor workmanship... if the prop is removed, guibo and Center bearing replaced and everything put back exactly how it came out, there's no need for balancing... but if the retards just yank everything out and, then come time for installation, they shove it all back in anyhow and expect it to be aligned perfectly thats when the vibration starts and they want to recommend balancing the prop.. another user on here had the same issue..

My opinion is based on the fact that I've removed more than 7 prop shafts, replaced the guibo's and bearings and fitted them back without any issues/vibrations, no balancing was needed, the cars are still going strong even after seeing track time.
The following 1 user Likes johndoe's post:
GoCart
12-10-2018, 12:02 PM
I have a similar problem with my E46 330i, vibration under load at 50km/h.

I have replaced the centre bearing and guibo, which reduced the vibrations but did not fully eliminate them.

The centre bearing carrier has to be installed with a preload of a few mm according to the TIS manuals in order to avoid vibration.

I am planning to replace the diff bushes and check the rear u-joint on the propshaft some time soon.

Nothing comes at a higher price than that which is free.

330i
The following 1 user Likes Blue Shirt's post:
rudolphc83
12-10-2018, 02:48 PM (This post was last modified: 12-10-2018 02:51 PM by rudolphc83.)
Ok something new. Preload? What do I do there? First time i hear about that....

The shop that replaced the centre bearing eoyally screwed up my cars alignment as well. Needless to say they will never see my car again

E87 118i (Hers)

12-10-2018, 05:47 PM
Center bearing preload on E46 propshaft:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showt...ng-preload

Nothing comes at a higher price than that which is free.

330i
The following 1 user Likes Blue Shirt's post:
rudolphc83
13-10-2018, 08:32 AM
Thanks. Will give that a go. Dont think the "mechanics" that installed it knew about the preloading.

E87 118i (Hers)

Yesterday, 07:59 AM
Hi Guys

Just a quick update. I had the alignment redone, was crazy out, and replaced the two front tyres. All I still need to do is the preload on the centre bearings. The vibration is way less, barely noticeable. Again thanks for all the advice. Especially a big thanks to @War 320 SPORT, gave some very sound advice.

E87 118i (Hers)

User(s) browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content