Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Buying stuff off Ebay
12-07-2018, 11:11 AM
Buying stuff off Ebay
Purchased a second hand control unit off Ebay from a guy in UK. Seems plain and simple enough, now a tad worried when it gets to our shores and Customs gets hold of if. Anyone had experiences with this and can advise on the process from when it gets to SARS up till its in my hands?

LORD RAIDEN
[Image: lord raiden_1590569382.jpg]
2012 BMW X5 3.0D (E70)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-07-2018, 11:22 AM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2018 11:24 AM by tman.)
RE: Buying stuff off Ebay
1. Always pay via Paypal. They have an excellent buyer protection programme, in case that you dont receive your item (see nr2), or its not the right item. You will be able to claim your money back.

2. What ever you do do not ship anything to SA via the cheapest shipping option (its usually Royal mail, USPS, EMS etc). These items are normally consolidated via a local SAPO hub. Due to absolute uselessness & striking, they are either "lost" or take 3 months to get delivered.

3. RE: customs. DO NOT LIE about the value of your item, thinking it will fly under the radar. If you ship via a reputable courier (DHL, UPS etc), and SARS suspects that you are undervaluing items, you will be requested to provide proof of the invoice before they release goods. You can be liable to fines and extra fees if you are untruthful. If the value of your item is of low value (say R1000 or less), it might not be liable for customs, depending on what it is (different items are taxed differently).

Safe shopping!

Brotip: Due to the high cost of shipping, and not being able to use SAPO, look into using something like ARAMEX global shopper. Their prices are competitive.

330d E90 LCI - His
2.0d F25 X3 - Hers
320d E90 LCI - Ex
328i E46 - Ex

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
#NoLivesMatter

The following 2 users Like tman's post:
cOlDFuSiOn, TurboLlew
12-07-2018, 11:27 AM
Bugger, I used Royal Mail

LORD RAIDEN
[Image: lord raiden_1590569382.jpg]
2012 BMW X5 3.0D (E70)
12-07-2018, 11:56 AM
(12-07-2018 11:11 AM)Lord Raiden Wrote:  Purchased a second hand control unit off Ebay from a guy in UK. Seems plain and simple enough, now a tad worried when it gets to our shores and Customs gets hold of if. Anyone had experiences with this and can advise on the process from when it gets to SARS up till its in my hands?

If it is declared as a gift (non-financial transaction), each person is allowed gifts to a value of R1,400 (if I'm not mistaken) per year. I normally use DHL so when the parcel arrives, DHL does the clearing of the goods at Customs and they call me to inform me of the amount to be paid over to Customs followed by an email. It is very efficient because it is door-to-door delivery. Royal mail, I'm not so sure.

Current: 2006 e46 M3 SMG
Current: 2014 f25 X3 20d xDrive
Ex: 2015 e84 X1 sDrive20d
Ex: 2008 e81 130i MSport
Ex: 2004 e46 318ti Compact
[Image: 130i (2)_6017473204.jpg]
12-07-2018, 09:39 PM
(12-07-2018 11:22 AM)tman Wrote:  1. Always pay via Paypal. They have an excellent buyer protection programme, in case that you dont receive your item (see nr2), or its not the right item. You will be able to claim your money back.

2. What ever you do do not ship anything to SA via the cheapest shipping option (its usually Royal mail, USPS, EMS etc). These items are normally consolidated via a local SAPO hub. Due to absolute uselessness & striking, they are either "lost" or take 3 months to get delivered.

3. RE: customs. DO NOT LIE about the value of your item, thinking it will fly under the radar. If you ship via a reputable courier (DHL, UPS etc), and SARS suspects that you are undervaluing items, you will be requested to provide proof of the invoice before they release goods. You can be liable to fines and extra fees if you are untruthful. If the value of your item is of low value (say R1000 or less), it might not be liable for customs, depending on what it is (different items are taxed differently).

Safe shopping!

Brotip: Due to the high cost of shipping, and not being able to use SAPO, look into using something like ARAMEX global shopper. Their prices are competitive.

100% - Aramex Global Shopper has changed my life. You can take advantage of the US 4th of July/Thanksgiving/etc. promos on car stuff at rates way lower than UPS/DHL/USPS etc would charge when quoted. Choose the free US shipping to your address in New York and then pay Aramex to get it here in a week or so (depending). Clearance takes a couple of days as opposed to a couple of MONTHS as with other options.

To add: A bit of a pain but get an importer code from SARS/Customs if you're doing more than 3 imports a year. Aramex notes this on your profile and it ensures you never get hit with a fine when SARS decides to randomly enforce their rules. Make sure that if you are purchasing something like a used motor or gearbox you get clearance from ITAC. They don't charge for this. Electronic and cosmetic items I have had no problem with bringing in used.

[Image: rewYTSy.png]

User(s) browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content