Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
What are my options?
27-05-2018, 05:08 PM
What are my options?
Hi. First post here so please bear with me Bluebiggrin

I own a 2003 e46 320d. She has one or two minor cosmetic issues, but this is by far the best car I have ever owned!

Unfortunately.....this is the model that was shipped to SA without a bluetooth module (i already checked). At the moment I am looking for a relative affordable way to install bluetooth in her without having to buy too many new things. It does have a 6cd shuttle in the boot and a cd slot in front, but none of them can play mp's....also, with mom and the little ones using the vehicle regularly....that cuts my alloted amount of cds down to zero.......

Ideally the system should be able to stream music, audiobooks, podcasts etc and once in a blue moon handle the odd telephone call.

I do not want any of those fm modulator thinginies that are around as i have tried them and found they are not really worth the money you pay for them (always have static and the mic is not great). I am also very weary of any Parrot product. Have one in my work vehicle which does not work 99.9% of the time.

So short of replacing the radio, are there other good quality options available to me?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-05-2018, 06:20 PM
RE: What are my options?
You sacrifice the CD player and splice in an aux connection. Then get one of those car Bluetooth receivers that output audio via an aux cable. They're usually in the form of a base unit that plugs into your cigarette lighter. Certainly, the most cost-effective way to obtain Bluetooth functionality without changing the head unit.

Current:
2001 BMW E46 330i Titanium Silver (See Here )
In Progress:
BMW K75 Café Racer (See Here)
Previous:
1991 BMW E34 520i Calypso Red
29-05-2018, 11:25 AM
(27-05-2018 05:08 PM)PhillipF Wrote:  Hi. First post here so please bear with me Bluebiggrin

I own a 2003 e46 320d. She has one or two minor cosmetic issues, but this is by far the best car I have ever owned!

Unfortunately.....this is the model that was shipped to SA without a bluetooth module (i already checked). At the moment I am looking for a relative affordable way to install bluetooth in her without having to buy too many new things. It does have a 6cd shuttle in the boot and a cd slot in front, but none of them can play mp's....also, with mom and the little ones using the vehicle regularly....that cuts my alloted amount of cds down to zero.......

Ideally the system should be able to stream music, audiobooks, podcasts etc and once in a blue moon handle the odd telephone call.

I do not want any of those fm modulator thinginies that are around as i have tried them and found they are not really worth the money you pay for them (always have static and the mic is not great). I am also very weary of any Parrot product. Have one in my work vehicle which does not work 99.9% of the time.

So short of replacing the radio, are there other good quality options available to me?

I used to have a similar problem and I bought this Bluetooth receiver from eBay (I have just attached a pic just in case I am not permitted links). My E90 has an aux socket in the armrest console so I can plug in this bad boy and stream from there and because its under the arm rest there are no unsightly accessories hanging from your dash. The unit is self powered with an internal battery so there is no need to plug it in your cigarette lighter. Hope this helps.

[Image: wireless-bluetooth-music-receiver-adapte...624031.jpg]
29-05-2018, 11:35 AM
Thanks Bluebiggrin

Unfortunately no Aux socket for me. Would have been a good option though.
(29-05-2018 11:25 AM)Tindo1 Wrote:  
(27-05-2018 05:08 PM)PhillipF Wrote:  Hi. First post here so please bear with me Bluebiggrin

I used to have a similar problem and I bought this Bluetooth receiver from eBay (I have just attached a pic just in case I am not permitted links). My E90 has an aux socket in the armrest console so I can plug in this bad boy and stream from there and because its under the arm rest there are no unsightly accessories hanging from your dash. The unit is self powered with an internal battery so there is no need to plug it in your cigarette lighter. Hope this helps.

[Image: wireless-bluetooth-music-receiver-adapte...624031.jpg]

29-05-2018, 12:51 PM
I would say just get a clean looking double din radio with a fascia plate.
That way you still have a relatively clean look and all the bells and whistles while still being able to use the steering controls etc.

I had a Targa unit installed in my Corsa Utility daily and it only cost about R2000 with the install and although it probably isn't the best unit out there ,I still love it. I looks clean and does everything I could ever want

Current:
e90 330d M-sport Auto
Opel Corsa Utility 1.4
Suzuki Tl1000

[Image: img_1954_7594118472.jpg]

Ex:
E46 320d Auto
E46 320d Manual
Kawasaki ZXR400
The following 1 user Likes schalk320d's post: