Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is an after market warranty compulsory?
18-05-2018, 11:18 AM
I'm currently looking at acquiring a second hand vehicle and intend on financing a portion. The vehicle is around R100k and will just be used a run around.

The F&I consultants have piled on a bunch of value added products (VAPS) which includes a warranty for around 10k? I have'nt been asked whether i'm interested in these products but nontheless I see its included on the financiers podium.

I'm not a fan of all the clauses and conditions contained in these warranties and would thus prefer to "self insure" against future car repairs.

I have asked the dealership to remove all VAPS but the salesman says that warranty is compulsory unless I intend to do a cash deal.

Is salesman correct in saying that the Warranty is compulsory if its a finance deal?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-05-2018, 11:45 AM
RE: Is an after market warranty compulsory?
I have never heard of the warranty being compulsory unless is a M/P, which based on you info, its not. After all, if something does go wrong, it will be your expense and not the dealer. As far as I know, only insurance is compulsory when financing a car.
The following 1 user Likes yush1's post:
r0ckf1re
18-05-2018, 12:16 PM
Not compulsory. from all the dealers i have been to they like to try and add or sell you the aftermarket warranty as they include it in the finance.
18-05-2018, 12:19 PM
Not compulsory.

They throw all the VAPS on as they make a kick back.

Tell them to take it off. You're not obligated at all!

Current: 2011 E90 320d MSport

[Image: 663405.png]

[Image: thefanatics_4910538429.jpg]
Click HERE to view the network of forums hosted by TheFanatics.co.za
The following 1 user Likes RAArmstrong's post:
cOlDFuSiOn
18-05-2018, 12:31 PM
Not compulsory. Shop around as you're entitled to Thumbs

[Image: untitled_1823010011.jpg]

2004 e85 Z4 2.5i
2006 e90 320d
2009 e90 320i (lci)
Ex: 2003 e46 318i (lci)
Ex: 2004 e46 318i (lci) MotorSport
18-05-2018, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the response. These guys just take chances hoping that the customer will either not notice or not complaint due to the excitement of purchasing of a vehicle.
18-05-2018, 01:29 PM
Yea i call Bullshit on the VAPS, they also covering their ass cause if something goes south, they know you will fall on the warranty and not the dealershit.
Cause CPA states that if something goes south the dealershit is bascially responsible, you not forced to take it, tell them to take that sh1t off.

[Image: Small_zpsoumony5q.png]

Current:
His : Alpine White 335i Msports Pack(Manuaaaaal)
Her's : Audi A4 B8 1.8T Ambition

Ex:
2007 Audi A3 2.0 FSI
2007 Ford Focus ST
2008 Audi A3 2.0TFSI DSG
2010 Audi A4 1.8T Multitronic Attraction
2011 Audi A4 1.8T Multitronic Ambition
The following 2 users Like Iceman12596's post:
cOlDFuSiOn, sash
18-05-2018, 01:33 PM (This post was last modified: 18-05-2018 01:34 PM by FerdiBotha.)
Are you buying the car from We Buy Cars?

Recently I was shopping around for a daily drive and visited their showroom. When the salesperson said that the warranty is compulsory on financed vehicles I walked out and said I refuse to pay that.

It’s a way for them to finance their obligations towards the customer as stipulated by the CPA, yet they sugar coat it to make it sound like you benefit from it. At any dealership it is your legal right to claim for latent and patent defects on a purchased vehicle for 6 months, so why now pay for it?

Some dealerships are just taking chances..

Current:
[Image: b9c18a57-ca4d-430a-99f0-9f988a1b65a4_4874188881.jpeg]
Corsa Utility 1.4 Sport

Previous:
E46 320d
Yamaha R1
Suzuki GSX-R 400
The following 3 users Like FerdiBotha's post:
EmD20v, Iceman12596, Nick
18-05-2018, 01:35 PM
Its not compulsory but they will tell you it is, tell them to F off - the more they can add on the more kickback they get

BMW E92 335i - work in progres
18-05-2018, 01:44 PM
(18-05-2018 01:33 PM)FerdiBotha Wrote:  Are you buying the car from We Buy Cars?

Recently I was shopping around for a daily drive and visited their showroom. When the salesperson said that the warranty is compulsory on financed vehicles I walked out and said I refuse to pay that.

It’s a way for them to finance their obligations towards the customer as stipulated by the CPA, yet they sugar coat it to make it sound like you benefit from it. At any dealership it is your legal right to claim for latent and patent defects on a purchased vehicle for 6 months, so why now pay for it?

This +1000

Current:

Ex:
2007 Audi A3 2.0 FSI
2007 Ford Focus ST
2008 Audi A3 2.0TFSI DSG
18-05-2018, 02:29 PM
(18-05-2018 01:33 PM)FerdiBotha Wrote:  Are you buying the car from We Buy Cars?

Its actually Lisabank but same story. Initially I was informed that the bank requires the warranty. I called the bank and confirmed that this is not the case. Then the Manager changes the story and says its the company policy that if the vehicle is financed it has to be sold with a warranty to cover issues that may arise due to CPA. What worse is that warranty cost in excess of R10k.

Anyway cancelled the deal and now i'm back at square one. Now I know the reason people by new cars with terrible spec.
The following 1 user Likes cRed001's post:
r0ckf1re
18-05-2018, 03:50 PM
(18-05-2018 02:29 PM)cRed001 Wrote:  

Its actually Lisabank but same story. Initially I was informed that the bank requires the warranty. I called the bank and confirmed that this is not the case. Then the Manager changes the story and says its the company policy that if the vehicle is financed it has to be sold with a warranty to cover issues that may arise due to CPA. What worse is that warranty cost in excess of R10k.

Anyway cancelled the deal and now i'm back at square one. Now I know the reason people by new cars with terrible spec.

Bud pm me your number I gota few buddies who can help you with what you looking for

Current:

Ex:
2007 Audi A3 2.0 FSI
2007 Ford Focus ST
2008 Audi A3 2.0TFSI DSG
18-05-2018, 04:17 PM
(18-05-2018 02:29 PM)cRed001 Wrote:  

That's bull, CPA says dealer must sort out issues for the six months. This means you paying for the warranty and they will claim from it to subsidise their cost should you take the car back with a problem.

Sent from my iPhone+ using my finger
19-05-2018, 01:58 PM
What the CPA says and enforcement (as evidenced by the pain of some recent posts here) are two different things. Dealers are still able to drag things out half-a$$ing repairs 'in their workshop' or 'at their service provider' to standards that nobody would/should agree to (to make it through the 6 months). Take it to your own service provider and watch how quickly they blame your service provider and yourself for not bringing it back to them... It isn't like having motorplan for 6 months where everything will get covered by BMW/Merc/Audi to OEM standards.

I would absolutely just walk away from these kinds of situations. Let them all shut down. They are selling garbage (they know it with these tactics being employed) and most of the time plead poverty/don't want to deal properly anyway. Terms and conditions for days... If the warranty is not a top-shelf one from Motorite, Liquid Capital etc. then you can end up with something not worth the paper it is written on anyway. One positive for me (again just my opinion reading others' experiences dealing with the aftermath of failed purchases) is that I would rather have a proper warranty (of my own choice) and choose a service provider of my choice than be forced to the same scumbags with their own bush-mechanics that will just about get your car through the 6 months using sub-standard/non OEM parts, fluids, lubricants, used parts, gasket maker instead of gaskets etc. There is literally ZERO chance you will get acceptable repairs IMHO - I have literally no trust in any of these places. Same applies to some insurers - their standards of 'acceptability' and your standards may VASTLY differ.

WeBuyCars is worth going to for wholesale cash deals. I see it as a one-stop alternative to private purchase. Buying anything there that is already out of warranty/plan and financing would not be something I'd recommend or do. Same goes for most independent 'lots' like Right Cars etc.

When selling my Subaru the bank DID insist on a warranty being taken out by the new owner (Wesbank) even after passing the Dekra 101pt check which they also insist on (and which was for my account). So it is not the first time I've heard this, but that was a private sale. Dealers have different standards of accountability

[Image: rewYTSy.png]
19-05-2018, 10:40 PM
Some banks specify warranty cover on certain cars that are out of manufacturer warranty. This is to cover the bank if it has to repo your car and it ends up being a non runner and then they lose on selling your car to settle the outstanding debt.

Usually, your ultra reliable El Cheapos (Tazz, 1400 Champ) are exempt from this requirement.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk

User(s) browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content