Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Shudder when braking
13-01-2018, 01:50 PM
Shudder when braking
Hi guys. It's me and my car again. I have E90 2011 320i. I am no master mechanic, but I know my way around toolbox. a Few days ago I did a major service on her , including front and rear... pads, discs and shocks. In all honesty I have never done discs on my vehicle before...pads only. The problem I have now is that when slowing down from high speeds(no heavy braking) there is a heavy shudder coming from the front brakes. Can anyone please shed some light for me. It's busy driving me insanerage
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-01-2018, 03:06 PM
RE: Shudder when braking
Brand new disks ?
Which make of disks ?
Brand new pads ?
Which make of pads ?

Shuddering when braking tells me that either

1) The disks are warrped
2) Inferior disk material, and/or inferior brake pads (bad quality)
3) The combination of Disk and Pads were not "RUN-IN" after fitment
...run in has to be done on cold brakes..heat generation is your enemy

4) At worst the re-assembly was not done incorrectly, and something was not tighned properly.....but unlikely

/o(O)(O) \ (lllllllll)(lllllllll) / (O)(O)o\

https://www.facebook.com/ralf.t.schulz
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-01-2018, 03:55 PM
(13-01-2018 03:06 PM)Ralf* Wrote:  Brand new disks ?
Which make of disks ?
Brand new pads ?
Which make of pads ?

Shuddering when braking tells me that either

1) The disks are warrped
2) Inferior disk material, and/or inferior brake pads (bad quality)
3) The combination of Disk and Pads were not "RUN-IN" after fitment
...run in has to be done on cold brakes..heat generation is your enemy

4) At worst the re-assembly was not done incorrectly, and something was not tighned properly.....but unlikely

All pads and discs are ATE. It's all i have ever used and doesn't cost a arm and a leg. Even with pad change only I normally nurse them for 800km before resuming normal driving style. So far I have driven 400km and still nursing them (like I said no speed, the missus and kids hate speed.)
13-01-2018, 07:06 PM
(13-01-2018 03:55 PM)Dewald_Bark Wrote:  All pads and discs are ATE. It's all i have ever used and doesn't cost a arm and a leg. Even with pad change only I normally nurse them for 800km before resuming normal driving style. So far I have driven 400km and still nursing them (like I said no speed, the missus and kids hate speed.)

what I mean is the "bedding in" procedure, done immediately after installation

read here :

http://brakeperformance.com/bedding-in-rotors.php

https://www.facebook.com/ralf.t.schulz
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
The following 1 user Likes Ralf*'s post:
johndoe
13-01-2018, 07:18 PM
(13-01-2018 07:06 PM)Ralf* Wrote:  
(13-01-2018 03:55 PM)Dewald_Bark Wrote:  All pads and discs are ATE. It's all i have ever used and doesn't cost a arm and a leg. Even with pad change only I normally nurse them for 800km before resuming normal driving style. So far I have driven 400km and still nursing them (like I said no speed, the missus and kids hate speed.)

what I mean is the "bedding in" procedure, done immediately after installation

read here :

http://brakeperformance.com/bedding-in-rotors.php

Thanks for this. Would it still be possible to do this after the amount I have driven already?
13-01-2018, 08:35 PM (This post was last modified: 13-01-2018 08:36 PM by Avash.)
Would it be possible to tell if the disks are wrapped from just a visual inspection ?

*warped
14-01-2018, 08:55 AM
Here is what you can try. Jack the front wheels up and then spin them by hand, if it makes a scratching noise like grrrr ........grrrrrr ......grrrrr then it is one of 2 things, brake pads or the disk.

I had this problem just now in December. Had the buy new brake discs and pads, problem solved. If you keep driving it like it is now, it will only get worse. Ask me, I drove mine for 2 months like that and even had it worked out on little braking as possible to avoid the shudder.

Jack the front wheel and spin the wheel by hand, it will tell you. If it is like I said the noise then it is 90% your discs that has warped.

Current: 2005 E90 330i manual - Black Sapphire Metallic (475)

Ex's:
1994 - E36 316i modified
2001 - E46 330i auto

[Image: 330i fuel consumption_3194366856.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Lizzard's post:
Dewald_Bark
14-01-2018, 10:12 AM
(14-01-2018 08:55 AM)Lizzard Wrote:  Here is what you can try. Jack the front wheels up and then spin them by hand, if it makes a scratching noise like grrrr ........grrrrrr ......grrrrr then it is one of 2 things, brake pads or the disk.

I had this problem just now in December. Had the buy new brake discs and pads, problem solved. If you keep driving it like it is now, it will only get worse. Ask me, I drove mine for 2 months like that and even had it worked out on little braking as possible to avoid the shudder.

Jack the front wheel and spin the wheel by hand, it will tell you. If it is like I said the noise then it is 90% your discs that has warped.

Thanks guys. I'll jack up and report back.
14-01-2018, 12:01 PM
Did you do top shock mounts?

My thread - sold

Click here to view the network of forums hosted by TheFanatics.co.za | Click here to find out more about advertising on our network of forums | Click here for a list of our current advertisers | Click here for the forum rules and guidelines | Click here and check your region for any past and upcoming events and get-togethers | Click here to find out how to gain ///Member status
15-01-2018, 10:14 PM
(14-01-2018 10:12 AM)Dewald_Bark Wrote:  
(14-01-2018 08:55 AM)Lizzard Wrote:  Here is what you can try. Jack the front wheels up and then spin them by hand, if it makes a scratching noise like grrrr ........grrrrrr ......grrrrr then it is one of 2 things, brake pads or the disk.

Thanks guys. I'll jack up and report back.
Im guessing the brakes havnt bedded in properly, trying do a bedding in procedure

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

15-01-2018, 11:11 PM
Hi guys. I jacked up and there were no grinding noise of any sort. I then took her to the road and did the bedding procedure as per the bedding link above. Every thing feels alot better.
16-01-2018, 10:33 AM
Part of the bedding in of brakes and new rotors is that you need to cover think 800 miles before you heavy brake. Just be on the lookout for this.

So dont brake heavy before you did 2000km on the new rotors.

Current: 2005 E90 330i manual - Black Sapphire Metallic (475)

Ex's:
1994 - E36 316i modified
2001 - E46 330i auto

[Image: 330i fuel consumption_3194366856.jpg]
16-01-2018, 10:39 AM
(16-01-2018 10:33 AM)Lizzard Wrote:  Part of the bedding in of brakes and new rotors is that you need to cover think 800 miles before you heavy brake. Just be on the lookout for this.

So dont brake heavy before you did 2000km on the new rotors.

Will check ot out thanks

User(s) browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content