Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
E90 330D Sump thread stripped
13-01-2018, 12:44 AM
E90 330D Sump thread stripped
I psyched myself up the entire week, got all the supplies and attempted to change the oil in my E90 this evening. Everything was groovy, up until I proceeded to torque the sump nut. As the nut kept turning without tightening, I kept stressing. I loosened the nut and went in for a closer inspection. Low and behold, it seems that the threads have been stripped before and the helicoil repair kit is now dis-integrating.
I took the below picture with my borehole camera so it is very low-res and consequently un-clear. If you look at the middle of the picture moving upwards, you will see some thread then black space and then some thread again. It looks to me like the helicoil repair has failed. Is this correct? There are also metal shavings around the sump nut inside the sump (even some on the sump nut), what is the best way to remove the shavings? (I was thinking of pouring the old oil back in to wash it out through the sump hole)

[Image: screenshot_20180113_003425_9504513842.png]

I did some research and found that there are mobile helicoil repair technicians. I would like to know from the forum if you could recommend anyone to do this repair. My car is on a ramp in my garage and un-driveable. I am in the Randburg area.

'10 E90 330d
Ex 08 E92 M3 : 03 RunX RSi : 98 Astra 200ie Euro
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-01-2018, 07:04 AM
RE: E90 330D Sump thread stripped
Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Flushing out the metal shavings with oil is not a bad idea.

Do you think you over torqued your nut for this to happen?

Dont feel too bad, as I am sure this has happened to loads of other people, and I am sure there is a way to fix!

2011 330d E90 LCI - Current
2011 320d E90 LCI - Ex
2000 328i E46 - Ex

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
#NoLivesMatter

13-01-2018, 08:13 AM
Hi,

I had a slightly similar experience, I also stripped my sump nut, I got a guy in Midrand that flushed the metal shavings with the old oil, he put a cloth where you fill oil and then poured the old oil in, he also then wiped the area with an oily cloth as they catch on easily,

with regards to the fix, he just used a tap and die set and re threaded the sump, put a bigger sump nut and problem was sorted within 3 hours i think,

so yes you can flush with the old oil, then call one of those mobile helicoil people as you said,

sorry about the mis-fortune, those sumps are easy to strip hey,

hope you come right,
The following 1 user Likes CliftonH's post:
KidB
13-01-2018, 08:13 AM
(13-01-2018 07:04 AM)tman Wrote:  Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Flushing out the metal shavings with oil is not a bad idea.

Do you think you over torqued your nut for this to happen?

Dont feel too bad, as I am sure this has happened to loads of other people, and I am sure there is a way to fix!

Thanks for your re-assurance tman.

I think the sequence of events is like this :

1. Sometime in the car's history, the sump nut was over-tightened or cross threaded. This was subsequently repaired with a helicoil.

2. After the helicoil repair, it was over-tightened or cross threaded again or the helicoil repair was not properly done which lead to it's own failure.

3. When I put the nut back last night, I did hand thread, then ratchet tighten then torque wrench tighten. The torque wrench never hit 25Nm, it just kept turning. When I took out the sump plug, there was metal shaving on it. There was also a little bit of oil which had started to leak around the sump plug. I noticed this when the car was on the ramps at ZF for it's gearbox service.

I am abit upset that some workshop messed this up and that there is no way of telling who it is. Or it could be that the helicoil installation was messed up, but again there is no way of telling when it happened.

I do not think it will be a biggy, let me get one of the mobile repair guys out to see what they say about it.

'10 E90 330d
Ex 08 E92 M3 : 03 RunX RSi : 98 Astra 200ie Euro
13-01-2018, 08:27 AM
Shit man sorry to hear. That's a bit of a bad situation to be in.

I don't torque mine. Don't know if it's wrong but mine didn't leak.
my previous cars I did the same. I'm to scared that this will happen to me.

Hope you get it sorted man!

[Image: Cornel_RK_Sig.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Cornel's post:
KidB

User(s) browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content