Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Shortened shocks/Coilovers
12-01-2018, 03:11 PM
Shortened shocks/Coilovers
Hi guys,

I'm looking to replace the shocks on my 1990 Toyota Corolla Gli Twincam 16. I currently have Koenic 40mm lowered springs & Gabriel gas rider std shocks. Touching on the front has got progressively worse & I'm assuming the std shocks are gone.

I've done some research & have a few options, looking for some advice/recommendations but unfortunately all Toyota forums I checked have not been active for a while. Hoping someone can guide me on here.

1. Anyone have experience with the Ian glass aka GT shortened shocks. Looking to install these shocks with current Koenic springs & later upgrade to a better quality spring (eibach or h&r)

2. JOM coilovers

3. Maxtrac coilovers

I'm interested to know the quality of 2 & 3 vs 1. From what I've read JOM & Maxtrac are entry level coilovers, I don't really need the adjustment capability as I don't track the car but was attracted by the fact that they are matched spring & shock. Regarding the Ian Glass GT shock, I've read they are top quality & perfectly designed with the experience of Ian Glass.

Any advice or recommendations will be highly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-01-2018, 03:24 PM
RE: Shortened shocks/Coilovers
i would try and buy branded short shocks & springs to match...had Ian shocks and wasn't great but i think it was because you have to specify how low you are going to go. I drove my GLi with new shocks for a short while & it was wonderful lol

current: BMW E92 M3 (bearings could be fcukd)
13-01-2018, 10:05 AM
Hi,thanks for the reply, I had a discussion with Ian over the phone & explained my situation in detail, at no time did he specially ask about ride height so I think your bad experience would be the same regardless. Highly appreciate a first hand review, saved me the school fees.

What springs & drop did you have on your car?

When you say you drove with new shocks & was wonderful, was this with Ian short shock?

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
13-01-2018, 08:49 PM
JOM and max Trac are compete rubbish
15-01-2018, 08:43 AM
this was years ago...60mm drop..cant remember spring but wasn't best quality..but shortening the shock the right amount is crucial for a drop like that...no i meant with new shocks & stock springs

current: BMW E92 M3 (bearings could be fcukd)

User(s) browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content