Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Radio rebooting automatically (iDrive actually) on F30
29-11-2017, 11:44 AM
I am wondering if anyone else out there is experiencing the same strange phenomenon that I am as of yesterday?

My car's (2012 F30 320iA MSport - just came off Motorplan) radio reboots itself every 7 minutes, well actually its the entire iDrive that reboots itself. The whole system switches off and comes back on within a few seconds with the BMW logo and then the radio starts playing again but at a lower (probably default) volume.

I initially thought that there was a short or a problem with a fuse but then I noticed that it happened every 7 minutes so that does not indicate anything random to me.

The only change is that I synced a new iPhone 8 to the car's bluetooth over the weekend. No other changes to settings were made!!

Anyone else experience this or know how to solve it?

Bimmerforums site also has this problem reported in 2013 but it was related to some Satellite Radio updates but I don't have that Fencelook

Any insights welcome! Thanks in advance.

.... still searching for the perfect replacement BlueCry
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-11-2017, 12:22 PM
RE: Radio rebooting automatically (iDrive actually) on F30
This is becoming a common issue on the F30, mine is a 2014 model and doing the same thing once in a while. The dealerships couldn't find the problem when the car was still under plan as the fault was intermittent. [/align]

Cartel
Current: 2014 F30 320d M sport with M performance power kit
Ex: 2011 C350 CDI
29-11-2017, 01:14 PM
Had the same problem on a F20

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
29-11-2017, 04:49 PM
Mine doesnt reboot, but if Im listening to something via the aux cable, once in a while it flicks to radio by itself, but still says its on aux. I have to change the mode to radio, select a station, then change the mode back to Aux to get it to work. This happens on my F30 and it happened with my previous F20.
somethings weird..

[Image: bmw_fanatic_9784516151.jpg]
[Image: f30_fanatic_white_9291934389.jpg]
[Image: m_fanatic2_8387882621.jpg]

[[[[My Ride]]]]
29-11-2017, 05:59 PM
Mine does this once in a while if there are other files (pdf etc stored on the USB)...

Go to http://www.bmw.com/update to download the latest software for your I-drive then you can update the software via USB...

Every 7 minutes is rather extreme.....

Sent from my Samsung Note 8

[Image: image.jpg]
29-11-2017, 06:35 PM
(29-11-2017 05:59 PM)S1NGH 911 Wrote:  Mine does this once in a while if there are other files (pdf etc stored on the USB)...

Go to http://www.bmw.com/update to download the latest software for your I-drive then you can update the software via USB...

Is this update download working again? Last time I tried it did not have any option to download the files anymore. dunno anymore

@OP this appears to becoming an issue on the F series yes.. Mine reboots when the weather temps appear to be very high.. But it has not happened in a long while..

Current:
'14 F30 335i MSport Alpine White III, Coral Red, Sat Nav, iDrive touch, PDC + reverse cam, Harman Kardon, N55 222.4wkw | 413wnm STOCK
'16 F30 318i LCI Manual, Alpine White III, Black Leather
[Image: banner final_1261154562_8282635603.png]
Mods: Optic Blue Lamin-X fogs, VPS light shields, CF Splitters, Mirrors, Ducktail spoiler, Aluminium interior trim upgrades...

Retired BMWs:
'12 F30 320d
'12 F20 118i
'09 E90 LCI 320i M-Sport
'07 E90 320i Excl
'91 E30 325iS Evo I
29-11-2017, 06:37 PM
(29-11-2017 06:35 PM)cOlDFuSiOn Wrote:  
(29-11-2017 05:59 PM)S1NGH 911 Wrote:  Mine does this once in a while if there are other files (pdf etc stored on the USB)...

Is this update download working again? Last time I tried it did not have any option to download the files anymore. dunno anymore

@OP this appears to becoming an issue on the F series yes.. Mine reboots when the weather temps appear to be very high.. But it has not happened in a long while..
Yep, it I used it on Monday night....

Now that you mentioned it, mine also happened after the car was parked in the sun for a full day.....

The following 1 user Likes S1NGH 911's post:
cOlDFuSiOn
29-11-2017, 06:39 PM
(29-11-2017 06:37 PM)S1NGH 911 Wrote:  

Now that you mentioned it, mine also happened after the car was parked in the sun for a full day.....

I shall check the update site again thanks!

Indeed yes, that is when mine last rebooted.. I know as you say some files/large flash drives also cause the system to reboot or crash when indexing things.

Seems to be multiple issues causing failures.

Current:
'14 F30 335i MSport Alpine White III, Coral Red, Sat Nav, iDrive touch, PDC + reverse cam, Harman Kardon, N55 222.4wkw | 413wnm STOCK
'16 F30 318i LCI Manual, Alpine White III, Black Leather
[Image: banner final_1261154562_8282635603.png]
Mods: Optic Blue Lamin-X fogs, VPS light shields, CF Splitters, Mirrors, Ducktail spoiler, Aluminium interior trim upgrades...

Retired BMWs:
'12 F30 320d
'12 F20 118i
'09 E90 LCI 320i M-Sport
'07 E90 320i Excl
'91 E30 325iS Evo I
29-11-2017, 06:43 PM
(29-11-2017 06:39 PM)cOlDFuSiOn Wrote:  
(29-11-2017 06:37 PM)S1NGH 911 Wrote:  

I shall check the update site again thanks!

Indeed yes, that is when mine last rebooted.. I know as you say some files/large flash drives also cause the system to reboot or crash when indexing things.

Seems to be multiple issues causing failures.
On my 320d is happen once in the 3 years, that was due to some funny file formats...

The following 1 user Likes S1NGH 911's post:
cOlDFuSiOn
30-11-2017, 09:28 AM
Thanks for all the inputs gents.

So the dealership confirmed that they have had numerous cars in with similar faults and it appears to be the software on the iPhone 8 which is the cause.

They recommending a software update through them which will cost R350 - R450, which should rectify the problem.

I will try the download option myself first to see if that rectifies the situation. I can however confirm that it is the phone as I disconnected the phone from the Bluetooth Paired Devices last night and then the system worked fine whole morning until I paired my phone once again and immediately the system rebooted and did it again after the "7 minute" interval!

Will download the update and provide an update later!

30-11-2017, 09:47 AM
(30-11-2017 09:28 AM)zabbo Wrote:  Thanks for all the inputs gents.

So the dealership confirmed that they have had numerous cars in with similar faults and it appears to be the software on the iPhone 8 which is the cause.

They recommending a software update through them which will cost R350 - R450, which should rectify the problem.

I will try the download option myself first to see if that rectifies the situation. I can however confirm that it is the phone as I disconnected the phone from the Bluetooth Paired Devices last night and then the system worked fine whole morning until I paired my phone once again and immediately the system rebooted and did it again after the "7 minute" interval!

Will download the update and provide an update later!
Not true, that dealership has no clue what is causing the problem and they are hoping that the sw update will fix the issue, I do not have IPhone 8 and cedar isle auto did the sw update on my car under plan but the issue is still there dunno anymore

Cartel
Current: 2014 F30 320d M sport with M performance power kit
Ex: 2011 C350 CDI
The following 1 user Likes lebofa's post:
S1NGH 911
01-12-2017, 03:35 PM
So i downloaded the software and then only to note that it is the same as the current version on the car...... so back to going to the stealers for the latest software Thumbdown

Thanks for all the input!

22-01-2018, 04:15 PM
I have a 2014 model and started with the same problem of rebooting the idrive and to top it off my sound also went taking it to the stealer next week.
My opinion is to replace the head unit of the problem persists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
22-01-2018, 04:28 PM
(22-01-2018 04:15 PM)RyanGD Wrote:  I have a 2014 model and started with the same problem of rebooting the idrive and to top it off my sound also went taking it to the stealer next week.
My opinion is to replace the head unit of the problem persists.

I actually haven't had the time to take my car in yet. I've been driving without using the bluetooth handsfree option for the phone.

24-01-2018, 09:03 AM
I have an appointment for the 30th next week at the stealer. Will update accordingly

24-01-2018, 09:07 AM
When I had this problem on my E90's idrive it was the bluetooth unit that was having an issue, bridged it out with a jumper (there is a name for this thing, cant remember now) and the system didnt reboot.

Current: 2005 E90 330i manual - Black Sapphire Metallic (475)

Ex's:
1994 - E36 316i modified
2001 - E46 330i auto

[Image: 330i fuel consumption_3194366856.jpg]
24-01-2018, 10:00 AM
Has anyone tried putting the phone onto 'phone only' and disabling the office and data sharing mode, which has emails and messages coming through as well? I will report back in a few days but this was the suggestion from BMW.

I have no issues with the Note 8, but I have stability issues with the iPhone on latest iOS... However not as serious as a reboot every 7 minutes! I've only had one iDrive reboot, but I've had a lot of stability issues... it takes forever to pair or switch to primary and it is also dropping bluetooth mid-call and resuming after it has done "something". I assume some processing/handshaking is happening since the phone status is still visible on the car's display whilst this is happening. Call resumes some time later (20-30 seconds maybe) I have also had the phone book menu on the cluster stuck whilst this is happening and you can't make or drop a call whilst this is happening. I am on the latest BT firmware on the car already. Zero issues with the Note 8 (including emails and messages) so it doesn't seem to be a failure on the car's part. The only thing that has changed is the iOS version. I've tried not having both connected simultaneously (turned off the Note's BT completely) and deleting and re-adding the device. iPhone is still the unstable element.

Perhaps Apple's iOS updates are now trying to get it's users to upgrade their cars as well as their phones Rofl

Anyway I have another iOS update downloading now so will see how this goes.

[Image: rewYTSy.png]
24-01-2018, 10:16 AM
So our F30 does the same thing and no iPhone 8.

BMW just replaced the radio smile bounce

Current:
'10 SG E90 320d Msport - RK Tuned
'18 Ranger Wildtrak
24-01-2018, 10:20 AM
(24-01-2018 10:16 AM)Yulz9081 Wrote:  So our F30 does the same thing and no iPhone 8.

Was your radio replacement covered by the MP?

24-01-2018, 10:27 AM
(24-01-2018 10:20 AM)RyanGD Wrote:  
(24-01-2018 10:16 AM)Yulz9081 Wrote:  So our F30 does the same thing and no iPhone 8.

Was your radio replacement covered by the MP?

Yes it was.
MP cost was R11 700 Skit

Current:
'10 SG E90 320d Msport - RK Tuned
'18 Ranger Wildtrak

User(s) browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content