Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.4 Average
3D Printed Swirl Flap Blanks?
11-10-2017, 09:13 AM
3D Printed Swirl Flap Blanks?
Hey guys,

So im looking for blank plates for the swirl flaps on my 120d.

Was just wondering, has anyone ever printed or used 3D printed blank off plates?

Will cost way less than importing a allu set but im worried that perhaps the plastic might melt?

Not actually sure at what temps the 3D printed plastic melts and how hot the intake on the diesels get but i have seen these which gave me this idea

http://www.bmwforums.info/diesel/10322-b...lanks.html

[Image: 22-mm-oem-plastic-bmw-swirl-flap-blankin...motive.jpg]

and here with a link to a cad drawing of the blank plate 22mm
https://grabcad.com/library/swirl-flap or http://www.3dprintfox.com/file.php?n=Swi...p&id=86924

Any advice?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2017, 12:05 PM
RE: 3D Printed Swirl Flap Blanks?
Hi

I have just had my swirl flaps removed from my 530 d.
What we did was instead of a blanking plate, we used the existing plate and drilled and tapped a M12 hole.

These were then fitted with taper thread grub-screws loc-tite in position.
There is actually no need for a blanking plate per say.
[Image: img-20171011-wa0001_9542138925.jpg][Image: img-20171011-wa0002_5065871453.jpg]
11-10-2017, 12:11 PM
(11-10-2017 12:05 PM)Maverick550 Wrote:  Hi

I have just had my swirl flaps removed from my 530 d.
What we did was instead of a blanking plate, we used the existing plate and drilled and tapped a M12 hole.

These were then fitted with taper thread grub-screws loc-tite in position.
There is actually no need for a blanking plate per say.
[Image: img-20171011-wa0001_9542138925.jpg][Image: img-20171011-wa0002_5065871453.jpg]

You wasting your time bud. I have been saying this for years. I've done it on my car and no issues. However many people are not comfortable with this method and still want the blanking plates.

The 3D printing is actually a good idea. research the materials to withstand heat and oil. You can use the o rings from the original flaps or get new ones from a bearing shop.
11-10-2017, 12:17 PM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2017 12:19 PM by Maverick550.)
Sorry I'm not with you..
Wasting time removing swirlflaps, using blanking plates?

What are you actually saying, your post is not clear, in fact it seems ambiguous.

I did not install blanking plates, as shown I used what was on the car.

You've been saying what for years and you've done what exactly?
11-10-2017, 12:24 PM
Yeah ive seen the "poor mans" Flap blank off which is probably going to be the method i use this weekend.

Was just thinking, 3D printing is quick and cheap so instead of importing allu ones, why not just get 3D ones instead.

From what i can see, the standard heat tolerance is 230 degrees...so im sure they will work, cant see the intake getting that hot.

Seems that ABS is better than PLA in terms of heat.

The link i provided with the drawing, doesnt contain the actual cad drawing file which is a bummer, now i will have to design one myself it seems.
11-10-2017, 12:39 PM
My issue around blanking plates was in which size to order.
They aren’t really that expensive either way and there are plastic injection moulded ones now, cheaper than the aluminium.

However I couldn’t find definitive answers to what size I needed as there was a possibility my particular car could have either.

Then there was the hassle to order and wait.
I see no benefit of a blanking plate when you already have the plate on your car, which you can turn into a blanked off plate with slight modification.

On the whole I was in two minds on doing it at all, but figured to thrown the vehicle away on the chance one was ingested was just too big a risk to take.

Will be doing my E60 next
11-10-2017, 12:40 PM
(11-10-2017 12:17 PM)Maverick550 Wrote:  Sorry I'm not with you..

What are you actually saying, your post is not clear, in fact it seems ambiguous.

Sorry bud. I didn't proof read what I typed.

I meant your advice on the method used is perfectly fine and it works. I have done it on my own car. I have also been offering the same advice and it has been thrown in my face that the blanking plates are the option to only use and the aluminium ones are the choice over the plastic. I have been saying for years to use the method we have both used.

I was not attacking you. I am sorry i came across that way.

For clarity I was also not attacking the OP.
The following 3 users Like Waseem 333i's post:
Iceman12596, JayDrft, Stompie
11-10-2017, 12:41 PM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2017 12:43 PM by Maverick550.)
My inspiration as such came from here

https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yourse...ine-70452/

(11-10-2017 12:40 PM)Waseem 333i Wrote:  

I meant your advice on the method used is perfectly fine and it works. I have done it on my own car. I have also been offering the same advice and it has been thrown in my face that the blanking plates are the option to only use and the aluminium ones are the choice over the plastic. I have been saying for years to use the method we have both used.

Cool no issues ThumbsThumbs
11-10-2017, 12:45 PM
(11-10-2017 12:41 PM)Maverick550 Wrote:  My inspiration as such came from here

https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yourse...ine-70452/

(11-10-2017 12:40 PM)Waseem 333i Wrote:  

Cool no issues ThumbsThumbs

Yeah i read that thread as well and will be doing exactly that, simple and cheap/free and works the same way and a plus is i already have steel epoxy at home smile bounce

I have a guy that does 3D printing, send him some sizes now and waiting to see what he charges for interest sake.
11-10-2017, 12:49 PM
I know nothing much about 3D printing but I would be concerned of the possibility they could delaminate.

11-10-2017, 12:52 PM
Ok so the guy says that PLA melts at 110 and ABS melts at 105 degrees

Now im not sure how hot the intake gets but seeing that its plastic (guessing) then it might not get that hot
11-10-2017, 12:57 PM
I wouldn't recommend 3D printing it. I do a lot of 3D work and that pla and abs don't enjoy high temps. It might not melt, but it will get soft and might let go somewhere.

Then there's the issue of heat soak. After a long drive, when you park your car. The abs might start soaking up heating and might reach that 110deg.

I've walked the walk...
Now I talk the talk...
11-10-2017, 01:03 PM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2017 01:13 PM by Stompie.)
Eish okay, so this idea fails! lol

The guy mentioned something about copper\steel filament and gave me another guys number..perhaps i should phone him.

Eish okay, so this idea fails! lol

The guy mentioned something about copper\steel filament and gave me another guys number..perhaps i should phone him.

did a quick drawing for a 22mm

[Image: t4kPCfj.png]

Guy charges me R20 one, but yeah with the heat its obviously not going to work....

let me check up with the other guy.
11-10-2017, 01:57 PM
Q bond works better than the steel epoxy in this case. The epoxy doesnt quite hold to the somewhat smooth surface. Then if some boost finds its way past the screw it will push the epoxy off. I used the qbond by the screw heads and they still holding perfectly.
The following 1 user Likes Waseem 333i's post:
Stompie
11-10-2017, 01:58 PM
Just get the aluminium plates and have peace of mind that they will last forever.

Order both sizes and sell the one you don't need afterwards.

/o(O)(O) \ (lllllllll)(lllllllll) / (O)(O)o\
My thread - sold

Click here to view the network of forums hosted by TheFanatics.co.za | Click here to find out more about advertising on our network of forums | Click here for a list of our current advertisers | Click here for the forum rules and guidelines | Click here and check your region for any past and upcoming events and get-togethers | Click here to find out how to gain ///Member status
11-10-2017, 02:10 PM
(11-10-2017 01:58 PM)ChefDJ Wrote:  Just get the aluminium plates and have peace of mind that they will last forever.

A family member owns his own CNC workshop. Busy chatting to him to see if we can start manufacturing for the local market in aluminum then we dont have to import anymore. smile bounce

So i have sent him drawings i created so waiting to hear what he says after he looks at the files.

Hopefully we can get it done cheaply...lets see.
11-10-2017, 02:36 PM
(11-10-2017 02:10 PM)Stompie Wrote:  
(11-10-2017 01:58 PM)ChefDJ Wrote:  Just get the aluminium plates and have peace of mind that they will last forever.

A family member owns his own CNC workshop. Busy chatting to him to see if we can start manufacturing for the local market in aluminum then we dont have to import anymore. smile bounce

So i have sent him drawings i created so waiting to hear what he says after he looks at the files.

Hi
If he is willing to make a business out of it, then may I suggest he mill DISA flaps for the N52 motor also.
They need to be imported also.

I've walked the walk...
Now I talk the talk...
11-10-2017, 02:43 PM
(11-10-2017 02:36 PM)husaindindar Wrote:  
(11-10-2017 02:10 PM)Stompie Wrote:  

Hi
If he is willing to make a business out of it, then may I suggest he mill DISA flaps for the N52 motor also.
They need to be imported also.

Will speak to him and see if we can get these done and if the cost isnt too expensive then ill look at the N52 ones as well. No issues but lets see what happens.
11-10-2017, 05:24 PM
Does anyone have a template for the n47 motor... I have an engineer that can help but need sizes

Muhammed

[Image: a5686ba6ce04833f02343f076ff2da3a_zps568f1de0.jpg]
11-10-2017, 05:43 PM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2017 05:46 PM by Maverick550.)
So from what I have gathered from reading up here and elsewhere, after removing swirl-flaps you would lose a bit of power.

Well mine has improved slightly, was last run on fitment of a new Turbo a year ago.

Now pushing 151 Kw on the wheels, she really hauls well. (RUN 1 is the latest)

Not bad for 135 Kw motor with close to 250 000 km on her and now 15 years old.

When I got her she was only pushing 100 wheel KW, around 4 years ago.

[Image: scan_20171011_174439160_9096962367.jpg]

User(s) browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content