Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Buying an SUV: E70 X5 vs competition
13-09-2017, 03:55 PM
I might be in the market to buy an SUV next year so I'm doing some home work. The E70 X5 3.0d is on my wishlist but I would also consider alternatives. My criteria is:
* 3.0 diesel because more power. A smaller sized engine would probably also be suitable, though.
* doesn't really matter if it's auto or manual
* will travel the occasional gravel road so no low profile tyres or harsh suspension
* should be reliable
* reasonable maintenance costs
* current budget is not set in stone but is around the R150k - R200k mark

I'm not too fond about the X3's looks but it is not a deal breaker. I'm not chuffed with issues such as the transfer case being sensitive to different front and rear tyre circumferences. Does the E70 X5 suffer from the same issue?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-09-2017, 05:06 PM
RE: Buying an SUV: E70 X5 vs competition
(13-09-2017 03:55 PM)Loom Wrote:  Does the E70 X5 suffer from the same issue?

Yes, very much so.

2014 BMW F30 335i M-Sport
13-09-2017, 05:29 PM (This post was last modified: 13-09-2017 05:33 PM by msm.)
At that price, have you considered a Prado 120 4.0 petrol. They are a bit thirsty, but what you spend on fuel, you save on maintenance and repairs... probably by a huge margin too.

I ran my ex 2005 Prado to 230k KM with just basic servicing before I sold it - nothing went wrong. Spoke to a few other owners who drove to 400k+with zero issues. It's mainly when they are badly neglected or not serviced that they go wrong.

[Image: mo4_8583720657.png]
The following 2 users Like msm's post:
CK4LIFE, r0ckf1re
13-09-2017, 08:39 PM
No it is only the E83 X3 with the tyre issues, i had one. My E70 did not had issues and neither my F25 X3

Current : F25 3.0d Exclusive 2011Mineral Silver
E 30 323i mex 1984 Ruby Red]
Ex : E70 3.0d MSport 2009 Space Grey
E 53 3.0d Sportpack 2006 Space Grey
E 83 3.0d 2005 Silver
etc etc
14-09-2017, 01:10 AM (This post was last modified: 14-09-2017 01:12 AM by B///Moodley.)
XDrive models all suffer from the issue. All tyres need to be the same/similar rolling circumference or you will end up with issues.

After having the 35d in activity package and 40d in MSport I must say that surprisingly the MSport coped better off road than the 35d. It's due to that suspension being quite numb.

Trust me when I say the 20's with low profile tyres was significantly more comfortable on gravel than the 19's with high profiles.

However if you're planning on regular off-roading then I won't suggest one of these cars as you wouldn't want to end up paying 1000's on repairs if something were to break.

Go with something more rugged or bakkie based like a land cruiser/fortuner.

///M Power for the win...
The following 1 user Likes B///Moodley's post:
YUBEN
14-09-2017, 08:48 AM (This post was last modified: 14-09-2017 08:59 AM by Dirtydeedsman.)
The best way to go would be the Fortuner 3.0 D4D but they are being stolen left right and center so with that budget I would get something like a:

Putting in pics to show which generation I am referring to.

X-trail 2.0 Dci most of them are 4x2.

[Image: Nissan~X-Trail~(1).jpg]

Toureg 2.5 Tdi is also another good option but they have gearbox issues in the autos

[Image: 2008_volkswagen_touareg-2_4dr-suv_v10-td..._1_500.jpg]

Hyndai Santa Fe 2.2 Crdi is an underrated car but has the goods.

[Image: 2010_hyundai_santa-fe_4dr-suv_limited_fq_oem_5_500.jpg]

Not forgetting the SAPS TRT response vehicle Ford everest 3.0 Tdci

[Image: marcfranco15_1_1428388520.jpg]

I Would go balls to the walls and get a Q7 3.0Tdi V6 because AUDIs are cool.

[Image: audi-q7-2007-22.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Dirtydeedsman's post:
YUBEN
14-09-2017, 09:07 AM
That sante fe was quite good, only real issue was the turbo/EGR.
Most were dont under warranty though.

[Image: nick sig2_1674483441.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-09-2017, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the replies, gents!
I'm not planning to do off-roading but just the occasional dirt roads when going hiking or camping as well confronting the not so occasional pothole.

About the following:
  • Transfer case problems:
    I was under the impression that only the E83 X5 had this problem. Will do some more reading. Is it caused by different rolling circumferences on the same axle or front to rear?
  • Performance:
    This is just a "boys with toys" thing but I would like to have ample power on tap without a huge penalty in fuel consumption. Will need to do some calculations regarding maintenance vs fuel consumption.
  • Ride quality/experience:
    I'm more a sedan than a bakkie guy. Ride quality is more important than outright handling sacrificing a smooth ride. Having said that, I do appreciate BMW's handling, that's one of the reasons an X5 appeals to me.
  • Prado 120:
    I had a look at them but did not consider the 4.0 petrol due to it's fuel consumption. Having read a bit more it seems that they really are that reliable. Seems that the KZ-TE ones were a bit more problematic.
  • The other Germans:
    Wouldn't mind an Audi Q5/7 or a Merc ML if it's within budget.
  • The Koreans/Japanese:
    Would also consider them if they tick all the right boxes plus a few extras.
14-09-2017, 03:16 PM
Oh wait. Also consider pricing of X5 tyres. With the 20's you're looking at around R4k each per front and R5k each per rear.

Fuel consumption, in and around town I average 12/100km with mixed driving but open road and you're looking at 8/100km, you get around 800km on a tank.

Take into account the E70's have a shitload of torque onboard and there were a few cases where that impacted the transfer case negatively.

I've been having joyrides in ours from the day we got them and never experienced any drivetrain issues but it's recommended to either replace or get rid of that DPF.

Other than that just find a nicely specced vehicle with FSH and overall good condition and you should be perfectly fine.

We've had an X5 from the LCi E53 and never regret buying one ever. Luxury, comfort, practicality and performance at its best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

///M Power for the win...
22-09-2017, 11:16 AM
(13-09-2017 03:55 PM)Loom Wrote:  I might be in the market to buy an SUV next year so I'm doing some home work. The E70 X5 3.0d is on my wishlist but I would also consider alternatives. My criteria is:
* 3.0 diesel because more power. A smaller sized engine would probably also be suitable, though.
* doesn't really matter if it's auto or manual
* will travel the occasional gravel road so no low profile tyres or harsh suspension
* should be reliable
* reasonable maintenance costs
* current budget is not set in stone but is around the R150k - R200k mark

I'm not too fond about the X3's looks but it is not a deal breaker. I'm not chuffed with issues such as the transfer case being sensitive to different front and rear tyre circumferences. Does the E70 X5 suffer from the same issue?

Hey man

I'm in the same boat as you. Looking at upgrading next year from my Polo. Looking to go SUV type vehicle and the X5 ticks a lot of my boxes.

Important to me is looks, space, economical, maintenance and services.

My budget is between 200k-300k
- Color must be white or silver
- Still under motorplan for peace of mind
- Warranty or maintenance plan optional
- KM as low as possible
- 35d or 40d models
- Msport a definite

I am not familiar with BMW or the X5 series, but I love the look of the vehicle.

Any advice on what to worry about, problems, servicing prices, motor, tyres, etc.

My brother is a mechanic and work on all cars, but specializes in Alfa and Renaults.

Any other nice looking SUV's in that price bracket that would be suffice for my needs. Would appreciate it guys.

Thanks
Stevie

User(s) browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content