Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
2005 X3 3.0i Cylinder Head Gasket
12-09-2017, 07:59 PM
2005 X3 3.0i Cylinder Head Gasket
Hi. I'm new to this forum and the world of BMW. This is my 1st BMW which I bought last year. I immediately noticed overheating problems and sent it in for a check-up and service. The cooling system was pressure tested and I was told everything was ok. The overheating persisted and when checked again by the same workshop they told me the head gasket was blown. This was replaced but still problems. This time they said the radiator was leaking and replaced that. After still more problems they said the auto-leveling switch was faulty and replaced it (I don't know what that is). Everything seemed ok for a while, apart from needing a new starter motor and battery. Now exactly 13 months after doing the Head Gasket last year, and about 20 000kms, the car overheated again. There was never any lack of water in the cooling system, and I have been driving like a granny for fear of potential problems. But again, blown cylinder head gasket. And, of course, one month out of warranty. I cannot fathom how a so-called reliable engine, and 3 liter capacity at that, with fully functioning cooling system can just pop a head gasket like a teenager pops a pimple. Did I buy a lame duck or is there something I need to know about BMW's? Does anyone have any opinions or advice for me. As much as I love this car my plan at this stage is to get it repaired and sell as quickly as possible before anything else breaks.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-09-2017, 08:07 PM
RE: 2005 X3 3.0i Cylinder Head Gasket
Simple

Aluminium block
Previous overheating warps the block
Threads may not have been helicoiled in the block and the bolts pull loose and blow the gasket again.

The engine is indestructible under normal use but once overheated if not repaired correctly it will continue blowing gaskets.

The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~ Winston Churchill

peterkarvelas@gmail.com
12-09-2017, 11:30 PM
Hi Peter. Thanks for the response.
I presume you mean that the block warps BECAUSE it is aluminium?
Are the bolts pulling loose because the block is warped? or because it is aluminium?
Is my solution just to make sure they put helicoils in for the bolts or is there something else I need to do about the warped block?
12-09-2017, 11:43 PM
(12-09-2017 11:30 PM)bluegoo Wrote:  Hi Peter. Thanks for the response.
Are the bolts pulling loose because the block is warped? or because it is aluminium?
Is my solution just to make sure they put helicoils in for the bolts or is there something else I need to do about the warped block?

All of the above

Get a straight edge on the block and see that it i straight.

Helicoil the block

Make sure that the head is not on minimum thickness and it is staright

The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~ Winston Churchill

peterkarvelas@gmail.com
13-09-2017, 06:38 AM
It's pointless installing stainless threaded inserts into a block if the bores have turned oval from overheating. Pick up a Japan Auto Trading M54B30 and drop it in. You will save yourself a lot of money and headaches in doing so.
13-09-2017, 01:37 PM
Support Gizmo on this one

Those motors will never be the same...especially after multiple overheating incidents

Purchasing a motor will be a substantial amount...but you will spend once.....
26-09-2017, 03:46 PM (This post was last modified: 26-09-2017 04:09 PM by bluegoo.)
(12-09-2017 11:43 PM)Peter@AEW Wrote:  
(12-09-2017 11:30 PM)bluegoo Wrote:  Hi Peter. Thanks for the response.

All of the above

Get a straight edge on the block and see that it i straight.

Helicoil the block

Make sure that the head is not on minimum thickness and it is staright

hmm... the workshop I used previously says not all these engines had aluminium blocks. From a Google search it looks like the aluminium block was only introduced in the 2007 facelift? - can anyone confirm this. Mine is definitely the 2004/2005 model, with the black bumpers.

The agents can't tell me from the VIN and suggest I hold a magnet against the side of the block to find out.

(13-09-2017 06:38 AM)Gizmo@GARAGE46 Wrote:  It's pointless installing stainless threaded inserts into a block if the bores have turned oval from overheating. Pick up a Japan Auto Trading M54B30 and drop it in. You will save yourself a lot of money and headaches in doing so.

Thanks for the advice. I called Japan Auto Trading - they didn't recognise they code you gave but said I would need the 306S3 motor.

They say these are low-mileage 2nd hand units with only a 1-month warranty. Pricing comes to about double the cost of my repairs. Sounding scary.

User(s) browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content