Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
[SPLIT] Airbag Cover E90/X6
16-07-2017, 03:06 PM
[SPLIT] Airbag Cover E90/X6
Hey guys,

I have a standard e90. Got a X6 steering from a friend of mine, but without the air bag cover. Thought I could make it fit, or get the cover loose, but seems like the air bag and cover is one...

Now, can I upgrade my normal e90nsteering to have the thicker more sporty feel, or does any one know where I can get the cover without breaking the bank or even swap for a wheel that will fit (cover included)?

Thanks for the energy and all the info.

Much appreciated!

Bertus Mouton
first time BMW OWNER - E90 320D 2008

Current:
2008 E90 320d (first BMW)

Previous:
Audi A4 1.8T
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-07-2017, 08:13 PM
RE: [SPLIT] Airbag Cover E90/X6
Split this into its own thread since it didn't have anything to do with the leather wheel refurb thread.

On the question, bertusmouton please could you post a pic of what you are referring to. Not sure why they would have removed just the cover.

An Airbag is one of those items that you don't want to be messing around with. I do know you can get covers online at AliExpress or eBay (under R1000 landed in SA). However you can go to a scrapyard and get a complete airbag for R2-3K, making a good used bag a no-brainer. For that kind of price difference, it is not worth the risk (IMHO) to firstly open up the bag and secondly risk the new cover not disintegrating as it should when the bag deploys which may cost you your life.

[Image: rewYTSy.png]
16-07-2017, 10:38 PM
Dont open up an Airbag , if that goes off your in big trouble , those things explode like bombs, I know a guy who was stripping one from a scrap yard when it popped , and this was from an E46 that had no power in it for two weeks! he flew to the back seats and almost landed up on the parcel shelf lol (car had no seats ) , It was so funny ... I felt bad for him , glad he was ok but still hilarious .

Current Cars
16 BMW F30 320i LCI Automatic
02 BMW E46 318i N42 Automatic
93 Mercedes Benz W124 E320 4 Door Automatic
88 BMW E30 320I M20 Automatic

Old cars
Hmm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-07-2017, 07:43 AM
It's impossible for an airbag to go off if the battery is disconnected as it is fired by a 12v pulse. No power, no fire.
17-07-2017, 12:04 PM
Static electricity can also set it off from what I've read. I am guessing that is what set it off in the scrapyard incident above (it is a remote chance if everything is intact, but it can happen) There is a youtube video of a shop class in the US where they set it off an airbag with static electricity in a controlled way.

[Image: rewYTSy.png]
17-07-2017, 04:09 PM
I know!

I myself didn't think it was possible , you should have seen the yard owners face , he was soo pissed off and confused , he kept asking his staff member , "did you disconnect the battery, how did this happen " And the guy said , "But boss , the car came with no battery and iz outside for two weeks ." He was so annoyed as he had a customer waiting for it and that was lost income . And there I was standing next to him laughing my head off haha

You have to be very careful around these things.

Current Cars
16 BMW F30 320i LCI Automatic
02 BMW E46 318i N42 Automatic
93 Mercedes Benz W124 E320 4 Door Automatic
88 BMW E30 320I M20 Automatic

Old cars
Hmm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content