Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
E46 M3 alternator aftermarket options
03-07-2017, 10:43 AM
E46 M3 alternator aftermarket options
Hello guys

Most of you won't know me, it's Mo here and I have a question about a 2005 e46 M3 alternator which needs to be replaced. I called BMW and they quoted me a part number 123 178 1436 and called Motolek/ Midas auto electrical who have a Valeo part number which matches up. Their number is ALT 0121. I was quoted R3600.10.

I just wanted to check with the community for any of you who have done this swop as well and that the part fitted correctly. The images do look almost identical.

Many thanks
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-07-2017, 11:07 AM
RE: e46 M3 altenator change
Hey Mo,

On the e85 M (also S54) I had to get a Valeo regulator... ordered off eBay for R1,200 including express delivery, arrived in 1 week. This was just for the regulator.

As far as I understand you get two options on the alternator/regulator - the bosch and the valeo - and everyone prefers/swears by the reliability and cost savings of the bosch.

My 5c, which may or may not be of use to you... :-)

Regards,

Pete
The following 2 users Like PLV's post:
Spiro, zmohsinz
03-07-2017, 11:29 AM
i know the Valeo OEM is very expensive from BMW , around the 7500 mark

if there is an option to Go Bosch at a fraction of the cost, i would rather replace the entire unit and then the overall maintenance will be lower as well

T

:-)
The following 1 user Likes Spiro's post:
zmohsinz
03-07-2017, 11:33 AM
(03-07-2017 11:29 AM)Spiro Wrote:  i know the Valeo OEM is very expensive from BMW , around the 7500 mark

if there is an option to Go Bosch at a fraction of the cost, i would rather replace the entire unit and then the overall maintenance will be lower as well

T

WithStu
The following 2 users Like PLV's post:
Spiro, zmohsinz
17-07-2017, 12:26 PM (This post was last modified: 17-07-2017 12:27 PM by zmohsinz.)
(03-07-2017 10:43 AM)zmohsinz Wrote:  Hello guys

Most of you won't know me, it's Mo here and I have a question about a 2005 e46 M3 alternator which needs to be replaced. I called BMW and they quoted me a part number 123 178 1436 and called Motolek/ Midas auto electrical who have a Valeo part number which matches up. Their number is ALT 0121. I was quoted R3600.10.

I just wanted to check with the community for any of you who have done this swop as well and that the part fitted correctly. The images do look almost identical.

Many thanks

Thanks Pete

This is useful information and I will bear that in mind.

Regards

(03-07-2017 11:33 AM)PLV Wrote:  
(03-07-2017 11:29 AM)Spiro Wrote:  i know the Valeo OEM is very expensive from BMW , around the 7500 mark

T

WithStu

Thanks for that man! I will bear in mind.
17-07-2017, 12:38 PM
RE: E46 M3 alternator aftermarket options
Good find OP.... i have changed the title slightly for those looking for a cost effective option.

Clapper

E92 335i DCT
Current SA x35 Champ 400m @ 11.516 @ 203kmh
Backed up at MSA event!
60-130mph - 8.3 seconds
Dragtimes.com

Thought I joined a car forum but all we ever talk about is alcohol, meth, and LSD....I'm sooo confused! Bangdesk

29-08-2017, 11:49 AM
RE: E46 M3 alternator aftermarket options
I also had the dreaded alternator light go on in my e46 m at the same time as this post , my car one was replaced under plan at 80 thousand kays , and the one that I took of turned out to be a valeo remanufactured in Poland[so says the label , BMW was skelm here] .So after speaking to all the GUrus , some who own these car , who swore high and low that only an M3 alternator is compatible , I had two option , used original which would have been Valeo , new from agents [big money] also valeo ,or Diesel electric price around r3500 but also valeo , mine could not be fixed because armature burnt. So I sat at a friend place who happened to have a E46 323 I that was in for a service , I happen to have my alternator with me , compared the two and saw they look the same from the top and the 323 's was also 120 amp and it was a bosch.I went to a scrapyard where I knew a car like that was be parted out , took off the alternator myself , Saturday discount r850 , thank you very much , had the Bosch part checked , all well .fitted the Sunday ,hit a snag , does not fit freely , then realised the M3 alternator has no cooling duct as part of plastic backing cover , trimmed the cooling duct and the place where the hard oil lines go [easy because it is plastic] , bobs your uncle , fits perfect ,also noticed that the pulley size is bigger on the M3 alternator [revs higher ] , swopped the pulley of the Valeo onto the bosch alternator[use a impact compressor tool to loosen the retaining nut ] , so you don't damage the pulley , if you do they are available at AUTOMAGNETO in Cape Town for around r600.
I put everything together with new tensioners [belt looked alright] and it has been working fine ever since , with the money I saved here I spoiled the car and bought a genuine battery from BMW because the one in my e36 m lasted for seven years.
I don't know how BMW fitted the steering reservoir right up against the alternator whilst on the other E46 models the reservoir sits on the side of the cylinder head and is easy accessible , maybe that is why the alternators fail on the M3 , because the powersteering fluid heating up right against the alternator and there is no cooling duct on the M3 alternator because there is no space ,I want to relocate the reservoir one day when time permits . Now I have a diy friendly bosch alternator on the car with parts more freely available and cheaper to boot.
So one can get away with saving money on an Old M .
The following 2 users Like cato3's post:
cOlDFuSiOn, Spiro

User(s) browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content