Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Does non Mini approved service void dealership responsibility for latent defect
12-06-2017, 12:57 PM
Does non Mini approved service void dealership responsibility for latent defect
Hi there,

I have a Mini Cooper Countryman S, 90 000 km, was under motor plan til Nov 2016, during which time it went in numerous times for superknocking, turbo and catalytic converter also failed and had to be replaced. The car was also sounding rough, but the dealership said there was nothing wrong.

Fast forward to April 2017. The car is now out of motor plan, so I serviced it with a non BMW approved dealership. It had a missing air intake pipe, so i took it two days later to a BMW dealership to replace the pipe. Also mentioned the rough idling.

Dealership says the cam follower needs replacing, it's causing the rough idle (R2k). Sure, i say. Two days later, the cam shaft and high pressure fuel pump need replacing, R20k (!!!), at my expense. Fine. Then, they say the timing chain, timing tensioner and guard rail now need replacing (R38k total).

I asked for an investigation, as from what i've read, the current issues are related to the previous ones (super knocking, turbo failure), which happened under motor plan. They come back to me, and say they cannnot see any relation between the previous repairs and the current required.They reckon the mechanical failure only started after a non BMW approved repairer serviced the vehicle (2 days before I took it in?? and it was sounding rough for months).

Sounds like BS to me. Can all these parts get damaged in 2 days? Also i'm assuming cam follower, timing chain etc are related to super knocking/turbo failure.

1. Are my assumptions correct?

2. Can BMW absolve themselves of all responsibility because of a non BMW approved service?

3. If not, is there anything else I can do regarding a root cause analysis??

Any advice would be most welcome!

Thanks in advance,
Daisy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-06-2017, 12:30 PM
RE: Does non Mini approved service void dealership responsibility for latent defect
Daisy,

I think on point number two - you check mated yourself.

Regardless of if it was out of motor plan, you will need to prove to BMW that your non approved service technician didn't mess anything up, and vice versa.

Same as anyone that has to fork out, they will find and verify any little excuse not to cover what is rightfully theirs to cover.

HANG ON!!!
The following 1 user Likes JayDrft's post:
Daisy
13-06-2017, 01:07 PM
RE: Does non Mini approved service void dealership responsibility for latent defect
(13-06-2017 12:30 PM)JayDrft Wrote:  Daisy,

I think on point number two - you check mated yourself.

Regardless of if it was out of motor plan, you will need to prove to BMW that your non approved service technician didn't mess anything up, and vice versa.

Same as anyone that has to fork out, they will find and verify any little excuse not to cover what is rightfully theirs to cover.

I think point 2 makes no difference. The vehicle was out of plan. If BMW screwed up, it remains that way. A simple service won't interfere with the items mentioned. I'm sure the service centre you've used was RMI at the very least. I've searched the forum for owners who've had similar issues (searched Super knocking). Maybe PM one of the guys in one of those threads.

I hope it works out in the end OP.

Hammerhead

Current:
His - 2009 E82 135i coupe - Manual, N54, Sports pack, Sapphire Black - The E82
195.5wkw & 398Nm (Stock) FRnR
219.2wkw & 469Nm (JB4 Map 1) FRnR

Hers - 2016 Ford Fiesta 1.0 EcoBoost - Manual, White

Previous:
2009 E90 320i - Manual, Sports pack, Sapphire Black
1998 E36 318is - Manual, Montreal Blue
The following 1 user Likes Avi135's post:
Daisy
13-06-2017, 01:12 PM
WithStu
I also think you are in a very difficult situation, one would have to prove that BMW had not done the original task to completion in the first instance, and failed to pick up the original problem.

Then going to a non BMW approved repairer to service the vehicle has only messed up your chances of any recourse.

The fact the air intake pipe was discovered only after the non BMW repairer had done work on it - when had it been misplaced ? is questionable.

There appears to be to many things all happening at once also, I find it strange that the fuel pump has gone at the same time as the others, The cam follower and shaft together is understandable. All these things you should have noticed long before you took the car for a service and the guys you took it too should have brought it too your attention if they knew what they where doing as mechanics.

I dont believe any of those are related to the Turbo going at all, so you can rule that out. Thumbdown

I think going ahead to fight them is not going to be easy, I wish you luck.
get them to give you a report on all these failures and then speak to AA about a second opinion they can possibly point you in the right direction.

Good luck.

Z4 M Coupe, once U go Coupe you cant go back. Bluebiggrin
2012 125i Coupe
07 A4 Tdi - 125kw+++ added some extra Ponies via software + decat, EGR & DPF delete.
The following 1 user Likes MikeR's post:
Daisy
14-06-2017, 09:42 AM
Guys, much appreciated for the feedback! I raised the issue up with BMW Customer care, and their final verdict is that the current issues are unrelated to the previous onesThumbdown

Got no more fight in me, so guess that's it. But again, many thanks for the advice! Ty
14-06-2017, 11:18 AM
(14-06-2017 09:42 AM)Daisy Wrote:  Guys, much appreciated for the feedback! I raised the issue up with BMW Customer care, and their final verdict is that the current issues are unrelated to the previous onesThumbdown

Got no more fight in me, so guess that's it. But again, many thanks for the advice! Ty
I hope you get things sorted out - there might not be a need to do all the work that was mentioned by BMW - for 1 - the Fuel pump ask why it needs replacing - it might just be a small leak that can be fixed locally.

But this dont mean you should leave the forum, always good info to be found here and some crazy chats to get involved with, so stick around.

Z4 M Coupe, once U go Coupe you cant go back. Bluebiggrin
2012 125i Coupe
07 A4 Tdi - 125kw+++ added some extra Ponies via software + decat, EGR & DPF delete.
14-06-2017, 12:40 PM
Have you had it for longer then 6 months, if no there is an angle under the CPA.

But it sounds as if though your are up poop street.

I will be on the other side if anybody needs me Bluebiggrin
19-06-2017, 11:19 AM
(14-06-2017 11:18 AM)MikeR Wrote:  
(14-06-2017 09:42 AM)Daisy Wrote:  Guys, much appreciated for the feedback! I raised the issue up with BMW Customer care, and their final verdict is that the current issues are unrelated to the previous onesThumbdown

I hope you get things sorted out - there might not be a need to do all the work that was mentioned by BMW - for 1 - the Fuel pump ask why it needs replacing - it might just be a small leak that can be fixed locally.

But this dont mean you should leave the forum, always good info to be found here and some crazy chats to get involved with, so stick around.

Very sweet, thank you! Will definitely stick around - good information and crazy chats, how can i miss out on that? Wink

User(s) browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content