Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Temperature gauge sitting below half
19-05-2017, 12:03 PM
Temperature gauge sitting below half
Hie guys ... so i recently had my E36 318is engine done, it had blown a head gasket. this was because it was over heating all the time.

So i replaced the thermostat, new radiator and connected the engine fan to manual and also replaced the head gasket and had the top skimmed. pretty expensive if you ask me..but that was done .

After all that the car continued to over heat , so i sent it back to the mechanic to fix...now its back....doesn't over heat but the temperature gauge now is below its usual half mark....

Now my question....is this normal and can i drive around like this

wont it cause me other problems...given the car has done over 300 000ks
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-05-2017, 12:09 PM
RE: Temperature gauge sitting below half
I wouldn't trust it. Thermostat once more? Maybe the mech broke it when you sent it back and didn't realise?

/o(O)(O) \ (lllllllll)(lllllllll) / (O)(O)o\
My thread - sold

Click here to view the network of forums hosted by TheFanatics.co.za | Click here to find out more about advertising on our network of forums | Click here for a list of our current advertisers | Click here for the forum rules and guidelines | Click here and check your region for any past and upcoming events and get-togethers | Click here to find out how to gain ///Member status
The following 1 user Likes ChefDJ's post:
screeptureblack
19-05-2017, 12:14 PM (This post was last modified: 19-05-2017 12:16 PM by Lizzard.)
The fan is only suppose to kick in once the car is hot, not from the word get go. Maybe relook at the fan as, is it turning on when the car is turned on. Cause then the car will run cold and your fuel consumption is going to be high.

I drove 3 different models, E36, E46 and now the E90 and all their fans worked the same way. You start the car, the fan doesnt spin, temp gauge picks up (well this stupid E90 of mine doesnt have a temp gauge), and the fan kicks in after it has reach the half mark for a while. The fan also only spins for a limited time and not always, like when you drove a distance the fan will come on while at the robot but will stop when you started driving again.

Look at the fan, maybe the problem lies there as you said you replace the thermostat. The thermostat also has stages where it opens and closes, so preferably you bought the oem one or atleast one from goldwagen or bemow. The thermostat controls the fan and has 3 stages.

Hope this helps a little bit

Current: 2005 E90 330i manual - Black Sapphire Metallic (475)

Ex's:
1994 - E36 316i modified
2001 - E46 330i auto

[Image: 330i fuel consumption_3194366856.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Lizzard's post:
screeptureblack
19-05-2017, 03:22 PM
(19-05-2017 12:03 PM)screeptureblack Wrote:  Hie guys ... so i recently had my E36 318is engine done, it had blown a head gasket. this was because it was over heating all the time.

So i replaced the thermostat, new radiator and connected the engine fan to manual and also replaced the head gasket and had the top skimmed. pretty expensive if you ask me..but that was done .

After all that the car continued to over heat , so i sent it back to the mechanic to fix...now its back....doesn't over heat but the temperature gauge now is below its usual half mark....

You can drive like that for now, but it's not ideal as it will likely increase you consumption.

Had the exact same problem with mine, and it was the thermostat that was stuck open.

Where did he/you get the thermostat?

Current -1996 E36 328i Individual

Ex - 1998 E36 318iS

[Image: whatsapp image 2017-03-28 at 11.45.09_86...76013.jpeg]

"If you park your car, walk away and don't look back, you're driving the wrong car"
....Real cars don't power the front wheels, they lift them....
The following 1 user Likes Donovan2412's post:
screeptureblack
19-05-2017, 03:42 PM
maybe the mech didnt put the thermostat back

Current
98 E36 M3 SANTORINI
07 E90 335I JB4,backend flash dci, dp's, fmic (big tom), forge dv's, cooling mist water meth kit, ER cp, alpina b3 trans flash
244kph on the 1km
12.66@187 on the 1/4 mile on street tyres
2011 BMW S1000RR
The following 1 user Likes hoosain's post:
screeptureblack
19-05-2017, 05:44 PM (This post was last modified: 19-05-2017 06:00 PM by screeptureblack.)
(19-05-2017 03:22 PM)Donovan2412@TheFanatics Wrote:  
(19-05-2017 12:03 PM)screeptureblack Wrote:  Hie guys ... so i recently had my E36 318is engine done, it had blown a head gasket. this was because it was over heating all the time.

You can drive like that for now, but it's not ideal as it will likely increase you consumption.

Had the exact same problem with mine, and it was the thermostat that was stuck open.

Where did he/you get the thermostat?

I just got it from Master parts....strand......still don't trust the car to drive it very far

(19-05-2017 03:42 PM)hoosain Wrote:  maybe the mech didnt put the thermostat back

That did cross my mind.. however the old one is laying in my boot and don't know any other way to find out, unless i take it off again

(19-05-2017 12:09 PM)ChefDJ@TheFanatics Wrote:  I wouldn't trust it. Thermostat once more? Maybe the mech broke it when you sent it back and didn't realise?

That could be it...but i don't know if i should be more worried if it over heats or take the knock on fuel consumption...

(19-05-2017 12:14 PM)Lizzard Wrote:  The fan is only suppose to kick in once the car is hot, not from the word get go. Maybe relook at the fan as, is it turning on when the car is turned on. Cause then the car will run cold and your fuel consumption is going to be high.

I drove 3 different models, E36, E46 and now the E90 and all their fans worked the same way. You start the car, the fan doesnt spin, temp gauge picks up (well this stupid E90 of mine doesnt have a temp gauge), and the fan kicks in after it has reach the half mark for a while. The fan also only spins for a limited time and not always, like when you drove a distance the fan will come on while at the robot but will stop when you started driving again.

Look at the fan, maybe the problem lies there as you said you replace the thermostat. The thermostat also has stages where it opens and closes, so preferably you bought the oem one or atleast one from goldwagen or bemow. The thermostat controls the fan and has 3 stages.

Hope this helps a little bit

The reason i ended up on a manual fan was because the bloody thing wouldn't go on..my has on fan and the main was removed...don't know why bought it like that from previous owner, anyway every time the engine got hot, it didn't switch on, so i bought a new switch and tried it again and nothing happened, so i had the mechanic connect it manual so at least it would work....at the same time i changed the radiator and fan belt......

The car is a bit of a project but its not driving well although the engine has no modifications
19-05-2017, 08:15 PM
Start the car in the morning feel the hoses on either side of the thermostat if they getting equally hot then there's no thermostat if the hose before the thermostat gets much hotter than the hose after the thermostat then there is a thermostat present

Current
98 E36 M3 SANTORINI
07 E90 335I JB4,backend flash dci, dp's, fmic (big tom), forge dv's, cooling mist water meth kit, ER cp, alpina b3 trans flash
244kph on the 1km
12.66@187 on the 1/4 mile on street tyres
2011 BMW S1000RR
The following 1 user Likes hoosain's post:
screeptureblack
24-05-2017, 03:14 PM
I had exactly the same issue on my 535i (e34 1991 M30B35). Turned out there was NO thermostat installed. Skit

///E34 535i 1991
E90 320d 2011 LCI
F30 320d 2015

[Image: 603409_387882911273909_283520950_n_7828713851.jpg]

User(s) browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content