Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe advice needed
15-02-2017, 05:54 PM (This post was last modified: 15-02-2017 07:22 PM by momo1.)
Hi guys

Im considering a purchase of a 2006 Z4 3.0si coupe.
I have seen and driven the car.
Mileage is quite high at 170000km
The paint work is not all that great as there is a lot of swirl marks and light scratches around yhe whole car
The bumper has a scratch and probably needs a respray, mechanically the car seems sound, low down torque is there and it feels strong.
Iv read up on hydronic valve lifter issues, unfortunately the car was warmed up so i couldn't hear if there was a ticking sound. The tyres also need replacing soon. Runflats are pricey.
What do you guys recon? What else should i be weary of? Any common issues or expensive maintenance to take note off?
Also what would be a fair price to pay?

Oh and the car is manual, clutch and gearbox seems fine
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
15-02-2017, 07:09 PM (This post was last modified: 15-02-2017 07:14 PM by GoCart.)
RE: BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe advice needed
We have a 30si Roadster, currently 80,000km. Only issues to date was a faulty steering angle sensor and a auto box related issue.

Hydraulic lifters seems happy with a shot of Ceratec.

I would say from a millage perspective, be ready for suspension bushes, possibly expansion tank / cooling system maintenance....

If a car was looked after well, you'll need a happy owner.

Get BMW services history, and NATIS checked out. And do not purchase before this is done.

PM me if you want to chat on WhatsApp... I don't spend enough time here.
15-02-2017, 07:21 PM
I bought a 2007 z4 3.0si a few months ago with 90 000km on. Had the control arm bushes replaced immediately,
At 10yr old I felt they are the most important to be fresh for proper control.
The radiator fan is being replaced next week, it runs very noisy and I'd rather spend some money now that having an overheating engine soon.
It is quite expensive and took close to 3 months to get new unit.

And I just love driving it.

Regards,
Japie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Life is but a one time affair![b]
Z4 E85, Jeep Commander 5.7 XH, 745i E65
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Jniemand68 for this post:
momo1 (02-16-2017)
16-02-2017, 06:59 AM
drop me an email, let me also check the owner history on enatis

francoisco@Tshwane.gov.za

[Image: bmwm3_zps136dce62.jpg]

"The Future is not set, there is no fate but what we make for ourselves."
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Coisman@TheFanatics for this post:
GoCart (02-16-2017), Greco (02-16-2017)
16-02-2017, 07:05 AM
(16-02-2017 06:59 AM)Coisman@TheFanatics Wrote:  drop me an email, let me also check the owner history on enatis

Thanks bud you have already done that yesterday Bluebiggrin
16-02-2017, 07:12 AM
(16-02-2017 07:05 AM)momo1 Wrote:  
(16-02-2017 06:59 AM)Coisman@TheFanatics Wrote:  drop me an email, let me also check the owner history on enatis

My bad Tease

[Image: bmwm3_zps136dce62.jpg]

"The Future is not set, there is no fate but what we make for ourselves."
16-02-2017, 07:12 AM (This post was last modified: 16-02-2017 07:15 AM by momo1.)
(15-02-2017 07:09 PM)WaNaV8GoCart Wrote:  We have a 30si Roadster, currently 80,000km. Only issues to date was a faulty steering angle sensor and a auto box related issue.

Hydraulic lifters seems happy with a shot of Ceratec.

I would say from a millage perspective, be ready for suspension bushes, possibly expansion tank / cooling system maintenance....

If a car was looked after well, you'll need a happy owner.

Get BMW services history, and NATIS checked out. And do not purchase before this is done.

PM me if you want to chat on WhatsApp... I don't spend enough time here.

Thanks bud!
BTW what did the steering angle cost?
COIS has already checked Natis for me .
The car will be more of a weekend toy, so I don't mind going about the maintenance in my own time.

(15-02-2017 07:21 PM)Jniemand68 Wrote:  I bought a 2007 z4 3.0si a few months ago with 90 000km on. Had the control arm bushes replaced immediately,
At 10yr old I felt they are the most important to be fresh for proper control.
The radiator fan is being replaced next week, it runs very noisy and I'd rather spend some money now that having an overheating engine soon.
It is quite expensive and took close to 3 months to get new unit.

And I just love driving it.

Regards,
Japie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks bud, did you have only the bushes replaced or entire arms?
I Know in my old 1 series bushes could not be changed and I needed to replace the whole arm.
whats the cost involved with the bushes and fan
16-02-2017, 07:28 AM
Hi there Mono,

I've not yet changed the steering angle sensor, so no indication of cost at this point.

You will have to change the lower control arm bushes only.

Get some prices from IMCOMEX, they will have most of what you need.

Is there any reason you are going for such a high millage car? most Z4's on sale generally have lower millage.
16-02-2017, 08:05 AM
(16-02-2017 07:28 AM)WaNaV8GoCart Wrote:  Hi there Mono,

I've not yet changed the steering angle sensor, so no indication of cost at this point.

You will have to change the lower control arm bushes only.

Get some prices from IMCOMEX, they will have most of what you need.

Is there any reason you are going for such a high millage car? most Z4's on sale generally have lower millage.

If I was going for the roadster, Id probably look for one with far less mileage, but unfortunately there aren't that many coupes for sale.
16-02-2017, 09:17 AM
The 3.0Si coupe is indeed uncommon, they're really great - I took one for a drive and enjoyed it immensely, and it is certainly a more practical daily than an M (bigger boot, better consumption etc. etc. etc. etc.)

In terms of price, the one I drove was in decent nick all round (110k), was a 2007 and they asked 155 - I reckoned it was worth 140-145 more. I'm obviously also a bit of a lowballer on price though...

I'd say with the mileage on that car you shouldn't go much over 130-140. It'll almost certainly need work on the cooling system, probably something like control arms also, the cat is likely buggered so you'll need to replace/decat and the clutch (if it's the original) is likely also going to be heading off soon. Add to that a set of 18inch runflats (probably upwards of 10k fitted, aligned and balanced for a decent tyre) and you're hitting 30k+ worth of fixes excluding anything unexpected...

Chat with the mechies (there are a fair number - I used Gizmo and Peter@AEW) on the forum about prices but for control arms I recently paid around 8k+- (I could go check this if you wanted, am happy to share over PM).

Previously owned cars:
2003 Alfa Romeo 147 T-Spark (Navy blue and beige interior)
2006 Alfa Romeo 147 JTD 16v (Silver and beige interior)
Current:
2007 BMW Z4M Coupe (Silbergrau and Black Leather)
16-02-2017, 10:36 AM

Wow we a great network of BMW buds here - nice work
16-02-2017, 11:10 AM (This post was last modified: 16-02-2017 11:11 AM by momo1.)
(16-02-2017 10:36 AM)Greco Wrote:  

Wow we a great network of BMW buds here - nice work

yeah COIS is really a superstar of the Fanatics family
16-02-2017, 11:13 AM
If this one was sitting at Monte Carlo in the last few months, then stay away.

/o(O)(O) \ (lllllllll)(lllllllll) / (O)(O)o\
My thread - sold

[Image: new forum sig_5527771133.jpg]
Click here to view the network of forums hosted by TheFanatics.co.za | Click here to find out more about advertising on our network of forums | Click here for a list of our current advertisers | Click here for the forum rules and guidelines | Click here and check your region for any past and upcoming events and get-togethers | Click here to find out how to gain ///Member status
16-02-2017, 11:23 AM (This post was last modified: 16-02-2017 11:30 AM by momo1.)
(16-02-2017 09:17 AM)TBP88 Wrote:  The 3.0Si coupe is indeed uncommon, they're really great - I took one for a drive and enjoyed it immensely, and it is certainly a more practical daily than an M (bigger boot, better consumption etc. etc. etc. etc.)

In terms of price, the one I drove was in decent nick all round (110k), was a 2007 and they asked 155 - I reckoned it was worth 140-145 more. I'm obviously also a bit of a lowballer on price though...

I'd say with the mileage on that car you shouldn't go much over 130-140. It'll almost certainly need work on the cooling system, probably something like control arms also, the cat is likely buggered so you'll need to replace/decat and the clutch (if it's the original) is likely also going to be heading off soon. Add to that a set of 18inch runflats (probably upwards of 10k fitted, aligned and balanced for a decent tyre) and you're hitting 30k+ worth of fixes excluding anything unexpected...

Chat with the mechies (there are a fair number - I used Gizmo and Peter@AEW) on the forum about prices but for control arms I recently paid around 8k+- (I could go check this if you wanted, am happy to share over PM).

Thanks Bud
I have my 320d as a daily , so the Z4 will be purely as a weekend car.
something I would like to keep for many years.
there is also a another Z4 coupe with just 51000km but owner wants R220,000, its a 2007 model, which means I can still finance it and possibly not have to spend anything on it as the owner says.
with this 2006 model it will have to be a cash sale.
owner also tells me the aircon needs a regas.
so im a bit confused now.
do I offer him cash below the trade value with all the issues and that mileage, or do go the finance route for the low miler later model one.
but than again not too long ago you could have got a better than decent Z4MC for 220k...

(16-02-2017 11:13 AM)ChefDJ@TheFanatics Wrote:  If this one was sitting at Monte Carlo in the last few months, then stay away.

Monte Carlo had the silver/Grey one?
I seen the ad some months back, it looked decent, what was the issue with it?
this ones black, current owner has it since 2011.

User(s) browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content