Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Longdrop E36 328i Track Car
15-02-2017, 09:51 AM
RE: Longdrop E36 328i Track Car
An enjoyable and interesting read, thanks Clapper

I compete in the Michelin Cup, but only the circuit events. I'm not really into gymkhana and drag racing and I live a long way from Gauteng. If you see me please introduce yourself. I'm Andy, grey haired and grey bearded old toppie, and I race the only orange Toyota 86 competing in the Michelin Cup.

A bit of advice (my opinion) - the payback on investing in seat time is far greater than investing in "go fast" parts. The biggest gains come from upgrading the squidgey organic part behind the steering wheel - ha-ha. And the best place to really learn to drive your car is Red Star. It's technical and very safe with massive run-off areas, so it allows you the confidence to really explore your car's limits safely. Red Star is open for cars most Wednesdays and Fridays. Be wary of Zwartkops - most of the time the Z is a benign mistress, but she can be unforgiving and cost you a lot of money in the blink of an eye.

I like your car. I also want one... CoolShake
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to Fish Eagle for this post:
AudiDriver (02-15-2017), Dewald Basson (02-18-2017), moranor@axis (02-15-2017)
15-02-2017, 05:25 PM
Longdrop E36 328i Track Car
(15-02-2017 09:51 AM)Fish Eagle Wrote:  An enjoyable and interesting read, thanks Clapper

I compete in the Michelin Cup, but only the circuit events. I'm not really into gymkhana and drag racing and I live a long way from Gauteng. If you see me please introduce yourself. I'm Andy, grey haired and grey bearded old toppie, and I race the only orange Toyota 86 competing in the Michelin Cup.

A bit of advice (my opinion) - the payback on investing in seat time is far greater than investing in "go fast" parts. The biggest gains come from upgrading the squidgey organic part behind the steering wheel - ha-ha. And the best place to really learn to drive your car is Red Star. It's technical and very safe with massive run-off areas, so it allows you the confidence to really explore your car's limits safely. Red Star is open for cars most Wednesdays and Fridays. Be wary of Zwartkops - most of the time the Z is a benign mistress, but she can be unforgiving and cost you a lot of money in the blink of an eye.

I like your car. I also want one... CoolShake

Thamks for the advice Andy.

I participated last year as well and have been to a few track days at Zwartkops. I have to agree with getting seat time. That is the sole purpose of this build - having a relatively inexpensive car that van be used on track to upgrade me...

I love Redstar. It is technical and quick but has lots of runoff space. As you say ideal to learn. I experienced it for the first time at the Audi Sportscar Driving Experience a few years ago. I planned to go today but a funeral came up unfortunately.

I'm not sure yet if I'll be at Redstar the 25th, but I'll look you up if I am. Good luck meanwhile!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to AudiDriver for this post:
Fish Eagle (02-15-2017)

User(s) browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content