Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Z4 sticky steering problem - attempted resolve
09-01-2017, 11:55 AM
Z4 sticky steering problem - attempted resolve
We have a 2006 E85 Z4 3.0 which has the common sticky/notchy steering problem which is always experienced in hot temps, for example driving after the car has been standing in the sun for half a day.

The problem is mostly experienced on the highway when going down a straight, and the steering wheel needs a bit more force than usual to "un-centre" it for changing lanes or correcting lane positions or whatever, as if the steering wheel gets stuck in position.

We read up about a multitude of possible problems and their solutions, ranging from replacing the steering rack to upgrading the ECU etc. I believe in the States there were actually court cases against BMW AG for this problem and a recall campaign was started by BMW. I know nothing of this happening locally.

One of the less costly possible solutions was to drill a small hole into the steering rack and fit a grease nipple in order to apply lubrication and seal off the unit, which is what we did today. I unfortunately don't have pics of the process.

We will be monitoring the car over a couple of weeks to see if there's a noticeable difference.

The repair took about an hour or so and an extended grease nipple was used which isn't costly.

Will report back at some stage.

/o(O)(O) \ (lllllllll)(lllllllll) / (O)(O)o\
My thread - sold

[Image: new forum sig_5527771133.jpg]
Click here to view the network of forums hosted by TheFanatics.co.za | Click here to find out more about advertising on our network of forums | Click here for a list of our current advertisers | Click here for the forum rules and guidelines | Click here and check your region for any past and upcoming events and get-togethers | Click here to find out how to gain ///Member status
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to ChefDJ@TheFanatics for this post:
GoCart (01-09-2017)
09-01-2017, 12:10 PM
RE: Z4 sticky steering problem - attempted resolve
Cool post, thanks for the info bud.

Just for some additional info, I asked John to check outstanding campaigns on our 08 face-lift 30si, to which he advised the later Z4's received a revised steering rack, and the problem should be no more. Further research revealed however that the steering angle sensor could be a problem also, which I suspect our Z4 is suffering form.. so in our case, not sticky, but rather feels like constant correction made my the motor.
09-01-2017, 12:18 PM
Very interesting.

Will definitely keep you in the loop on this one.

That sensor is probably worth the economy of a small country...

My thread - sold

Click here to view the network of forums hosted by TheFanatics.co.za | Click here to find out more about advertising on our network of forums | Click here for a list of our current advertisers | Click here for the forum rules and guidelines | Click here and check your region for any past and upcoming events and get-togethers | Click here to find out how to gain ///Member status
GoCart (01-09-2017)
09-01-2017, 12:27 PM
(09-01-2017 12:18 PM)ChefDJ@TheFanatics Wrote:  Very interesting.

Will definitely keep you in the loop on this one.

That sensor is probably worth the economy of a small country...

Ty

I have yet to price the sensor, but expect it to be impressively priced.
09-01-2017, 04:25 PM
Skit what a scary thought the steering getting stuck... wow

nice fix.

Z4 M Coupe, once U go Coupe you cant go back. Bluebiggrin
2012 125i Coupe
07 A4 Tdi - 125kw+++ added some extra Ponies via software + decat, EGR & DPF delete.
10-01-2017, 03:44 PM
So far so good.

Temps haven't really been too hot to know that the steering would definitely be sticky so we're waiting for hotter days. So far no sticky steering since the fix.

My thread - sold

13-01-2017, 09:04 PM
So far so good and no problem as yet Thumb

My thread - sold

GoCart (01-13-2017)
16-06-2017, 02:50 PM
Hi Chef, could you please report back about your experience now with the grease nipple fitted to the steering column? I am contemplating doing the same mod to my car (have not yet experienced the actual steering problems you described). Where exactly should i place the nipple? Is there a video of this on youtube perhaps? Thanks, Solo
16-06-2017, 03:10 PM
Hi bud. So far so good, no further problems.

There should be a few tutorials out there. I was not around the vehicle when the mod was done so I can't say exactly where they fitted it.

My thread - sold

16-06-2017, 05:14 PM
Thanks, according to the info i could obtain off the net it seems to be at the joint where the top and bottom halves of the steering column covers meet. Will have a look some time in the near future.

User(s) browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content